He needs a speaker cable. Patch cords are instrument cables, they are shielded and thinner than speaker cables. They can melt, severe the connection between the head and the cab, then fry the head.
Just don't let him do it again.
It should be okay as long as nothing happened while it was on, but definitely use a proper cable next time.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

ENDLESS FEEDBACK MANIPULATOR σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by OceanofNoise
Just don't let him do it again.
It should be okay as long as nothing happened while it was on, but definitely use a proper cable next time.
He just got his own amp anyways.
i hear its bad, in fact im usre its probably bad. but i have done hundreds of times for thousands of hours, with no ill affects.

edit: i should add that it was my beloved SF bassman. and the volume was nearly full on.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Last edited by chea_man at Dec 17, 2008,
You can get away with it at low volumes, moreso on solid state because a loss of load at lower volumes is not likely to cause serious damage as quickly. I did it for awhile, but would not chance it on a tube amp. also, they are generally noisier in that role.
Its his amp to tear up. At low volumes never being cranked probably can get away with it for a while. To much signal and the cable can fry taking the amp with it. I argued with 2 idiots one night for a while both of em were using guitar cables on half stacks. Couldnt convince em to buy a speaker cable. The 1 guy his was a stereo amp and clearly said next to the jacks right and left/mono of course he was plugged into the right side only, he said it sounded better that way. Eventually he tried a speaker cable but wouldnt admit he was or stop using the right side in mono.
How are the two kinds of cables different? They are both 1/4" and made in the same way, no?
Quote by imicius
How are the two kinds of cables different? They are both 1/4" and made in the same way, no?

One is thicker tha the other.
Some Speaker cables have nice thick plug chassis's too.
Pretty much made for transfering differet amounts of frequency.

Atleast thats how ive always seen it.