I own a Squier Bullet Strat and took the pickguard off tonight to find that it has the holes for a humbucker in the bridge (and neck) position.

I was just wondering what pickups you would suggest getting.
I wouldn't want to spend more than $150au.

I like lots of gain and use distortion.

edit: the guitar is currently SSS and I will but a new pickguard to change it to HSS
Last edited by phase3 at Dec 17, 2008,
Buy a seymour duncan... I'm starting to like them, you should buy me a set.

SH-4 (I think it's the SH for bridge) would be my pick probs.)
Edit: Too bad your other pickups are passive (I'm guessing they're passive), because I think you could get a single blackout for like $150 AU
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
Last edited by Jesstaa at Dec 17, 2008,
New guitar before new pickups.
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
Check out www.guitarfetish.com they are pretty good pickups for cheap and they also have pre wired pickgaurds you can get. I got some for my lea Paul and love them. Check it out
Quote by SlinkyBlue
New guitar before new pickups.

Maybe he doesn't want a new guitar, just new pups. Anyway, if you get new pickups before you get a new guitar, once you get a new guitar, you can chuck them in. Also means you don't have to worry about getting the best pups ever when you buy a new guitar.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
I've changed many of pickups and found that dimarzio super distortion pickups are my favorite. When you buy a new guitar though don't worry about putting them in. Buy a guitar with the pickups you want. I learned to do that after having to change them out. Might cost ya but I'd rather do that. So now when I buy a guitar I find the one with pickups that sound the best because I hate messing with it.
whats your amp? this will probably be more affecting on your tone.
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
Quote by Robino_Ibanez
whats your amp? this will probably be more affecting on your tone.

that's true but even if he has a crappy amp theres a big difference in a single coil and a humbucker.
No different to how Bareknuckle pickups are going to sound through the same £50 amp
Ibanez PGM301 signed by Paul Gilbert
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Saving for a GH100L/VH100R
Orange PPC212 2X12
if you go to pickup websites alot of them have sound samples of each pup. i suggest using a day or two to go through the sites and note the ones you like. then play the elimination game of the ones you liked best.
Tell us your amp. I'm guessing that if you have a Bullet Strat you probably don't have a great amp, although this is quite presumptious of me. The fact remains though, if you don't like your tone, it's probably your amp, and if your amp isn't any good, pickups won't really make a difference.
Lots of gain/distortion isn't really specific enough for us to make any real reccomendations, although I'd agree with Forsaknazrael about the Custom Custom, unless the Bullet Strat is basswood, which I suspect it may be. If so, you'd be better off with a Custom 5, but again your criteria for a pickup was pretty vague.
My home amp is a 15watt Ibanez Toneblaster but I play more through a 35watt(?) Valvetronix amp.

I am thinking about going the GFS option and buying a loaded pickguard.
Yes the guitar is basswood.

The reason I am upgrading pickups is because I can afford them but not a new guitar yet. I probably wont be getting income for a little while so it isn't an option to get a new guitar at the moment.

Thanks for helping me out
Last edited by phase3 at Dec 18, 2008,
I've recently become interested in IronGear pickups. They're pretty cheap, and the sound clips sound great.
Schecter Gryphon; Ibanez AEG20E
Peavey Rage 158 ; TRAYNOR YCS50
EHX Big Muff Pi; Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95 (modded); MXR M-108 10-band; DigiTech JamMan Looper
Quote by phase3
My home amp is a 15watt Ibanez Toneblaster but I play more through a 35watt(?) Valvetronix amp.

I am thinking about going the GFS option and buying a loaded pickguard.
Yes the guitar is basswood.

The reason I am upgrading pickups is because I can afford them but not a new guitar yet. I probably wont be getting income for a little while so it isn't an option to get a new guitar at the moment.

Thanks for helping me out

I don't know that you can get GFS in Australia, so be aware.

Changing from a single coil to a humbucker should help, though.
new guitar new amp and sh stands for the normal pup and tb stands for trembucker because it fits the poles for a different bridge
Quote by forsaknazrael
I don't know that you can get GFS in Australia, so be aware.

Changing from a single coil to a humbucker should help, though.

At the GFS site it gave me a quote with price for posting and it says on teh site they ship worldwide so I'm guessing I can get them shipped to Australia