Page 1 of 2
There's plenty of college students here, and I'm sure most of us aren't nearly as financially secure as we'd like to be, which means there are times when the cabinet starts to get cobwebs. Basically, tell what you've found that's cheap, filling, and readily available. Microwavability is preferred. Tips and good places to shop are welcome too, though I assume you folks over in Europe will have different chains than us Americans.

Boxed shells and cheese/mac and cheese
: Basically, nuke the noodles for 15 minutes, squeeze in the semi-liquid velveeta, and enjoy the cheesy goodness. Make sure you wash the bowl quick, this stuff is a pain in the arse to get off when it dries. Most stores will have their own brand.

Ramen noodles: Possibly one of the worst things you can put into yourself, but when you can eat for a week on under $10, sometimes it just doesn't matter. Do you guys prefer Maruchan or Top Ramen? I can't really tell the difference.

Hamburger Helper
: A fairly nice dinner for about $5, comes in some awesome flavors, and can provide multiple meals. My favorite is the bacon cheeseburger stuff.

Rice-A-Roni: Similar to the shells and cheese, but a bit more complicated. Good stuff if you do it right, just make sure not to catch it on fire when you're melting the butter.

Frozen waffles: Assuming you have two at a time, you can have a delicious breakfast for four days in a row for about $3 plus some syrup. I've made frequent use of this.

Kroger
: Get a kroger card, and attempt to figure out what random item they're going to give the massive discount on. They usually have decent "Buy X of these, save $x" deals too...I got four 2-liters of Tropicana pink lemonade for $4 last time I went.
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Dec 17, 2008,
If you're really stuck for money, just make spagetti with tomato sauce. Sainsbury's basics spagetti - 39p for 4 meals worth. Sainsbury's basics chopped tomatoes - 33p a can. add half a chopped onion, a clove of garlic, and salt and pepper, and you've got a meal that takes about 15 mins to cook and costs you significantly less than a pound.
just subscribed to my schools unlimited meal plan and my financial aid picked it up....
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
also, rice is awesome

I bought 1kg of it and have had it for like 2 months now
Water is (almost) free.
Quote by DrLoveFuzz
I'd rather listen to my parents having sex than LCD Soundsystem.
Quote by SRX700
Water is (almost) free.

the water in my dorm tastes like gasoline or something

we prefer to stick to alcohol
^ +1, Mine's horrible. I need one of those filter-pitcher things. Been sticking to Kroger-brand sodas for the most part.
Nope, no sig here.
The cheapest food is homeless people. All you need is a one-off investment in a sharp knife and some shoes that don't make any noise.
Quote by ozzyismetal
Neopowell, that's because you are a pumped-up sex offender.
Quote by Kensai
You're exactly the kind of person who'd have sex in a bar drunk
Quote by Zero-Hartman
You're a terrible, terrible man. This is a new middle for you.

I write things. You can read them.Essay on UK student riots
Microwave meals//food is more expensive over here than making your own food from scratch. Pasta, pesto and salad is my cheapest and easiest meal.
...Bleep Bloop...
99p Ready Meals!

You can't go wrong...unless you decide to cook after a night out and almost set your flat on fire...

Quote by dudius

afterward i thought about it and was like "wow, i just jerked off to a chubby girl sucking off a horse. i'm disgusting".

then i watched that segment again
hell I say any kind of pasta

you can do a million things with it.
Quote by GHJ
Microwave meals//food is more expensive over here than making your own food from scratch. Pasta, pesto and salad is my cheapest and easiest meal.
I meant stuff you can cook with a nuke box, rather than using an oven or stove...ready-made stuff is expensive here too. What's pesto?
Nope, no sig here.
Quote by blackflag49
fur burgers.

Yeah, I'm craving burgers, fur burgers.

Im going to be poor as balls next year at uni with the amount I eat.
Co-President of the 'Guitarists Born In 1991' Club. PM Me, gdm09 or blues_rocker to join.
easy mac
cheez its
coke
monster energy drinks

that's when i don't go to the cafeteria to get:
burger king
panda express
wraps
papa john's
deli style sandwiches
mexican food
extremely good pasta for about $5 a plate
etc.

all on meal plan
Go Veg.
Do what I do...don't eat!

...I'm tired.
E-married to ilikepirates

Quote by bloodtrocuted93

How are you so fucking awesome at music?

>¦<
¦
I dont go to uni, but I have had to live really cheaply for a couple months once. I found the best breakfast on the cheap is porridge/oatmeal made with water and a sprinkle of sugar or spoon of jam. You can buy a big bag of oats real cheap, it can last like a month, water is (pretty much) free and sugar lasts ages and jam you can buy cheap supermarket's own brands for cheap as chips.

Other cheap food is hunting for them huge bags of assorted frozen chicken pieces, huge bags of pasta and rice, frozen peas and other veg etc. Combine and chop and change for cheap yet filling meals. When it comes to sauce for pasta, you can buy a can of chopped tomatos and onion, half of each will do one meal (so you get two meals out of the tin and onion), another is a can of tuna with a touch of mayo and some sweetcorn, and also one which I tried once was cream cheese, put it on a low heat in a saucepan, add some sandwhich ham (the normal sliced sandwhich ham) once it is a sauce, then add your cooked pasta and mix. Big potatos to be cooked as jacket potatos are healthy, and filling. Big jacket potato and tuna (whole can's are pretty cheap, you can buy packs of four on the cheap.
Rice
Tomato Paste
Corn
and whatever else you might have around that might be good
It helps fill you up when you can't afford actual food

Quote by Spoony_Bard
Do what I do...don't eat!

...I'm tired.

Been there, it really affects your performance in school related matters.
Last edited by Godsmack_IV at Dec 17, 2008,
question for you college kids...

does your dorm room smell like shit or ass??

because i went into about 80 dorm rooms yesterday and four of them smelt like utter ass...i also so some girls slip ons with mould growing inside them...

i fucking hate you cheap ass college kids...

i might be a generalistic prick or just a plain...but whatevz
yo.

I BELIEVE
Quote by Teh Traineez0rz

i fucking hate you cheap ass college kids...

i might be a generalistic prick or just a plain...but whatevz

You'd probably be cheap too if you could hardly afford rent, never mind food and anything else.
im just ****ty cause i had to walk through and put up with the smell...

lucky im not doing a tertiary study...or at least not yet...kinda hoping my application gets knocked back so i can have another gap year...i told my self i would only have one year off but the money is so...inviting.
yo.

I BELIEVE
^^well my apartment smells pretty nice, my roommate is pretty uptight about cleanliness but I've seen some downright disgusting apartments: sunflower seeds EVERYWHERE on the floor, dishes haven't been done in over a month, trash all over, etc.
Yeah mine's pretty nice too, though we do let the dishes get out of hand every now and then.

Quote by Jackolas
Jamie Oliver would be rolling in his grave?

He's dead?

I've just remembered another one. The little beans/rice-in-a-packet things that you put in water and cook, like the one below. Good stuff, though the one I tried left a very spicy smell in the room for quite a while....like you could smell my room from the hall as you walked by for the first day or two. Not that it was a bad smell, but good lord was it strong
Nope, no sig here.
Quote by Mutant Corn
I meant stuff you can cook with a nuke box, rather than using an oven or stove...ready-made stuff is expensive here too. What's pesto?

Its a basil, pine nut and cheese sauce (I think). Its great with pasta, do a google image search. I haven't owned a microwave for two years now, you get used to not having one really quickly.
...Bleep Bloop...
Quote by GHJ
Its a basil, pine nut and cheese sauce (I think). Its great with pasta, do a google image search. I haven't owned a microwave for two years now, you get used to not having one really quickly.

That? Doesn't look to appetizing but I'll give it a try...

And I would love to not have a microwave, but that and electric skillets is all we can have here.
Nope, no sig here.
Quote by Mutant Corn

And I would love to not have a microwave, but that and electric skillets is all we can have here.

It's delicious
No muerde, no calla
Sin sangre no hay arte
Nada ni nadie
De nada más

Quote by neopowell
The cheapest food is homeless people. All you need is a one-off investment in a sharp knife and some shoes that don't make any noise.

My god, he is right.
Quote by Gabel
You are EXTREMELY WRONG! I have played it. I own an 18W and it would be an awful stereo amp, it's way too bright, breaks up too easily and so on. Secondly, why would a guitar store sell an hifi amp.
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
just subscribed to my schools unlimited meal plan and my financial aid picked it up....

Even the school's food a hit or miss.

I ate cereals in the morning or fruit bars, beef sandwiches from the school in the afternoon / snack, then another one around 4-5, and chinese food at night.
Yeah buying veg and pasta/rice/noodles is far cheaper and tastes nicer than ready meals.

Buy some tuna and mix it with some rice and sweetcorn.
With an onion, a pepper or two, a carrot, a couple chili peppers and a tin of chopped tomatoes/curry paste/stir fry sauce you can make a curry, stirfry and pasta sauce. Or just make ****loads of one and freeze it or put it in the fridge to use the day after aswell.
Quote by Mutant Corn

Ah, I've got a fairly large kitchen for a two person flat, and a massive living room *smug*

Edit: And yup, thats green pesto. You get red pesto too, but I don't like it as much.
...Bleep Bloop...
Last edited by GHJ at Dec 17, 2008,
You can usually buy huge bags of pasta for piss cheap which is pretty handy for a few meals a week.
I cook my own food. I buy from the Asian grocery stores, which is always like half the price of regular stores. I can eat healthily and plenty every week on just $20 groceries.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Buying fresh produce is usually cheaper than buying packaged foods, though organic stuff costs more and it depends on where you shop.

My favorite breakfast is something that my uncle taught me, I call it a 3-minute Omelet.

Requires a pot full of water
1 Zip-lock bag (off brand works but it needs to be something that will seal well)

You pretty much take 2-3 eggs and break them in the bag. Use your hands (outside the bag) to mix all of the egg up. Then throw in whatever omelet stuff you like (I use cheese, ham or bacon, green peppers, mushrooms, chopped tomatoes, onion, it all depends on what I have). After you have everything mixed up you want to push as much air out of the bag as possible. When you're done vacuum sealing the bag, throw it in boiling water and let set for 3-5 minutes (depends on how much you put in the bag, one egg =2 1/2, three eggs is around 6 minutes)

When it's all done, pull the plastic bag out and remove the omelet. Add a little salt and pepper and enjoy!
Page 1 of 2