hey gg&a

in regards to the marshall jcm800, what the model heirarchy(for example a jcm900 slx is better than the mkIII which is better than the dual reverb) for it

and typically whats the going price for one(in canadian dollars) because ive seen quite a few floating around but they never seem to follow a certain price trend

thanks for the responses
if you love bbe products join the "i heart bbe" group. kthnx (click link below)
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ilovebbe/

Quote by Dempsey68
get a cheap marshall... my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps.
Quote by the boogieman
hey gg&a

in regards to the marshall jcm800, what the model heirarchy(for example a jcm900 slx is better than the mkIII which is better than the dual reverb) for it

and typically whats the going price for one(in canadian dollars) because ive seen quite a few floating around but they never seem to follow a certain price trend

thanks for the responses

I don't know if there's really a "heirachy" per se, because at the time of manufacture, the JCM800 was Marshall's flagship 100W rock amp. Better is relative. The older top-of-the-line Marshalls were all one of the best products available at that time, whether you're talking about JTMs or other plexis, JCMs, JMPs, or whatever. Each sounds pretty good in their own way.
As far as prices, I see the 800 heads & combos go in northern Calif for $550-$800 US.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
2203: 1 channel, 100W
2204: 1 channel, 50W
2205: 2 channels, reverb, fx loop, 50W
2210: 2 channels, reverb, fx loop, 100W

Most people say the 2203s sound the best, especially the older ones with the vertical inputs. The 2 channel versions have some diode clipping which isn't necessarily bad, but puts some people off. They're a bit more modern sounding, closer to the 900s and Jubilees. They're all built well, so it's all a matter of preference. Avoid 2 channel ones made before 87 though. They changed the design to fix some issues in 86, and the ones made before that have channel bleeding issues.
Comparing some of the JCM800's is kind of a difficult process too, because it depends on your needs. The JCM 2204 is watt single channel, no reverb, no effects loop. The JCM 2203 is the 100 watt version with the same features. Then you have the 2205 and the 2210, which are 2 channels, have the reverb, and the effects loop. IMO the sound quality was diminshed on these and these were the predecessor to the JCM 900 MKII. Then you have some of the signature models, i.e. Zakk Wylde and Kerry King. I would stay away from these unless you are playing in an Ozzy or Slayer tribute band. They are good, but they were really designed to sound like the artist. Hope this helps. Can't tell you much about the Canadian price though. All I can tell you I have the JCM 800 2204 and it sounds ****ing amazing.
Quote by the boogieman
hey gg&a

thanks for the responses

woah woah woah. I believe the dual reverb 900s sound milies ahead of the slx's. Never played a mkIII though.

it is tricky to find a good 2 channel 800. I have never shopped for a 2203 or 2204 so I wouldn't know.
thanks cutslikedrugs & mindstealer

this thread can be locked now
if you love bbe products join the "i heart bbe" group. kthnx (click link below)
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ilovebbe/

Quote by Dempsey68
get a cheap marshall... my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps.
Quote by Ddjembe Mutombo
woah woah woah. I believe the dual reverb 900s sound milies ahead of the slx's. Never played a mkIII though.

it is tricky to find a good 2 channel 800. I have never shopped for a 2203 or 2204 so I wouldn't know.

They were redesigned mid 1986, so '86 and before, the 2 channel models are iffy. 1987 and after, they're a safe bet. You just need to check the serial number.
Yeah I have an '86 that just kills any other amp I have ever played (including my triamp). I have never played a 2205 that has sounded as good as mine, but my clean channel sounds awful compared to other 2205s
I've found that their clean channel aren't really clean. I barely have enough headroom with my 2210. But it's very response to how hard I dig in, so whether or not it's clean is up to my picking.
How much will a 2204 run in USD? (a range would be nice)
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

Quote by the boogieman
hey gg&a

thanks for the responses

I like the 900 Dual Reverbs best out of the JCM900's
As for the JCM800's, I like the 2203's best but they all sound great if you find one in good shape.