This is for the bass player in my band...

We play rock. When i (guitarist) do a solo some times there seems to be a dip in the thickness of the sound what could our bass player do to fill that emptyness? I was thinking along the lines of some form of overdrive to thicken up the sound for when i solo. Would this be a good idea? would it work?
Overdrive/distortion pedal. Not too much, but a little boost couldn't hurt.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
just get him to use a bass booster
or the alternative (cheap) suggestion would be for him to turn the volume up a bit while you're soloing and then turn it back when you're finished.
Rockin' shit
More volume?
Main Gear:

ESP Eclipse CTM I
Dean 'Shards' Razorback
Chapman Guitars ML-1
Ibanez AEL40SE Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Stack
EHX Metal Muff
EHX Small Clone
Overdrive with a strong bass line. 3rds and 5ths as well as what root is bein played sounds good. Pearl Jam had one or two solos with just a bass line underneath. Even flow is a pretty cool example
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Help Bunny gain world domination by copying and pasting him in your sig or webpage.

ANDY!!!
Also try having him do some more chordal work.
Quote by Metalfreak777
Dude if i were you i'd look more at bands like Dragonforce, Dragonland, Dream Theatre and Power Quest, most of their songs are either in E major, A major, C major or D majhor

A chorus or flanger can really thicken things up. Also have him play with his EQ a bit.
Nope, no sig here.
Quote by Mutant Corn
A chorus or flanger can really thicken things up. Also have him play with his EQ a bit.

Yeah, a boost in whatever the guitarists have cut may help fill out space. So if you have cut mids, then get him to boost his.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Also, a few bass players cut out mids and boost bass and treble which can sometimes make the sound hollow when the bass is playin without a rhythm guitar. So try boost the mids a bit see what happens

EDIT: sorta what the guy said before sorry
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Help Bunny gain world domination by copying and pasting him in your sig or webpage.

ANDY!!!
An octave up followed by an overdrive (maybe just overdriving the octave up if you have the equipment to do so) could definitely help fill up space. Any modulation that helps thicken up sound, and/or a touch of overdrive could work wonders.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Double stops are your bassists friend.

In a new song that my band wrote today, theres a rap bit, so the guitarist inst playing (he's rapping) so I play the root +5th to everything, proper thick. Sounds pretty decent too.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
^ Leicester, cool where abouts? what type of music do you guys play?

Do you know stamford?

Thanks for the advice guys.

Also while in in the bass forum....He wants to get an epiphone thunderbird (or something similar) any opinions on that?
Why does he want a Thunderbird? If it's for the looks, tell him to go elsewhere. If it's for the sound, there's really not much else like it, though I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing. The tone of it will basically do the opposite of what you're trying to do right now, unless he really knows how to manipulate it.

Most of the time, the bass forum will recommend that beginners stay away from Epiphone, Dean, and the really cheap stuff like "ROK AXE".

Some of the more respected brands are Ibanez, Squier, Peavey, and Traben.
Nope, no sig here.
He thinks they are really good looking and ive been in three other bands where the bass players have used that bass.

This band has turned pro and his current 80£ bass is just not cutting it. What bass would you recomend for a professional bass player (for 200£?
Fender Jazz, they are one of the most versatile basses out there, mine was around $600, not sure on the conversion rate there. Thunderbirds aren't very good basses though, that's why Gibson and Epiphone don't make very many, and that's especially why they don't sell many. They have a real muddy sound to them.
Quote by The_0thersid3
^ Leicester, cool where abouts? what type of music do you guys play?

Do you know stamford?

Thanks for the advice guys.

Also while in in the bass forum....He wants to get an epiphone thunderbird (or something similar) any opinions on that?

We play some indie tunes/some rock tunes/some electro stuff.

There's a link to a song we've posted up on the internet in the sticky "the new forum plan 2.0", its on the second to last page, near the bottom i think.

For £200, look for a used Fender Jazz bass. Or for £320, you can get a brand new one. Try after xmas with the sales on and stuff.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Quote by gm jack
An octave up followed by an overdrive (maybe just overdriving the octave up if you have the equipment to do so) could definitely help fill up space. Any modulation that helps thicken up sound, and/or a touch of overdrive could work wonders.

Ditto. Playing the bass the octave up will fill the place the guitar's lower end was covering.
look into Schecter maybe, much prettier, nicer tone, and balances way better.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
If you're looking for a modern and very punchy tone look into schecter. great basses. Also look into Ibanez for some punch but not as much as schecter IMO. after that i'd go with Fender probably. Smoother tone there.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu