hi,
I have an RG1570 and im trying to play november rain solo
when i bend a string full step(hold it) the others detune almost half a step !
wth is this normal? its very annoying!
Quote by MetalX2006
hi,

It could be that you haven't stretched your new strings enough, but most likely it's due to a bad trem setup. I've never heard of 1570's become ape**** and detuning all the time...
yup it's a normal thing for floyd roses. one of the flaws of them. but oh well you'll just have to get used to it.

edit: to the guy above me play a floyd rose and you'll understand what the op is on about.
It could be that you haven't stretched your new strings enough, but most likely it's due to a bad trem setup. I've never heard of 1570's become ape**** and detuning all the time...

no man the strings go back when i stop bending
yup it's a normal thing for floyd roses. one of the flaws of them. but oh well you'll just have to get used to it.

too bad man that part of november rain solo really needs to be in tune.. oh well thx anyway
Quote by azn_guitarist25
edit: to the guy above me play a floyd rose and you'll understand what the op is on about.

Of course, I do know what he's on about, I know what it's like to have FR detune on you. Usually though, these stories are about cheap Ibanez's with Edge III's, or Jackson's with LFR's. Not about RG1570 (which I consider to be a great quality guitar), with their Edge Pro's.
What I'm trying to say is, if the Edge Pro is properly set up by someone who knows what he's doing, they'll stay in tune much better.
The floyd is a floating bridge, that means if you bend a string, the bridge will move up a bit because of the higher tension. That will make the other strings go off tune. If you really want this to go away, you could try out a Tremol-no.

http://www.tremol-no.com/
I get the same thing, it happens on all FR trems. The solution is when you're bending one note and hitting another on a different string, bend the other note very slightly to bring it back in tune. Works especially well for unison bends

Its absolutely nothing to do with bad quality trems, its simply the extra pull on the bridge caused by bending the string.
Quote by ravioli123
James, a type of sandwich:

A sandwich that consists of ham, turkey, roast beef, shredded cheese, nacho cheese doritos, and ranch on a toasted bun.
"Hey man lets go get a couple James's for lunch"
Last edited by ravioli123 at Dec 17, 2008,
Quote by Y00p

Of course, I do know what he's on about, I know what it's like to have FR detune on you. Usually though, these stories are about cheap Ibanez's with Edge III's, or Jackson's with LFR's. Not about RG1570 (which I consider to be a great quality guitar), with their Edge Pro's.
What I'm trying to say is, if the Edge Pro is properly set up by someone who knows what he's doing, they'll stay in tune much better.

err sorry mate bend hard enough and i can certainly tell you that the floyd will detune slightly no matter how well the set up is.
What I'm trying to say is, if the Edge Pro is properly set up by someone who knows what he's doing, they'll stay in tune much better

if so.. can you help me ? what should i do?
btw something strange happend when i put new strings last month: the tuning is fine and the tremolo is parallel to the body but the screws that control the tension of the springs are all the way in.. its not supposed to be like this right? but everything is fine O_o i dunno
Quote by MetalX2006
if so.. can you help me ? what should i do?
btw something strange happend when i put new strings last month: the tuning is fine and the tremolo is parallel to the body but the screws that control the tension of the springs are all the way in.. its not supposed to be like this right? but everything is fine O_o i dunno

Depending on what gauge strings you put on, I wouldn't worry about the screws, not until you need to adjust them anyway. Did you adjust the screws or were they like that when you got it??
Quote by ravioli123

A sandwich that consists of ham, turkey, roast beef, shredded cheese, nacho cheese doritos, and ranch on a toasted bun.
Quote by MetalX2006
adjusted them

Hmm, it sounds like there's 2 springs on the floyd rose and you put on a higher gauge string, you may have to add on a 3rd string to take the tension.

Also, I might remind you to check my first post explaining how to accomodate for the detuning problem
Quote by ravioli123

Hmm, it sounds like there's 2 springs on the floyd rose and you put on a higher gauge string, you may have to add on a 3rd string to take the tension.

Also, I might remind you to check my first post explaining how to accomodate for the detuning problem

dude i have 3 springs and its the same gauge i used before .025mm(.010inches)
it's normal don't **** around with your setup

way to stop this? block the trem or buy a guitar that's hardtail
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
Floating bridge = other strings detune when you bend. I've gotten used to it now, but it can be irritating at first.
Last edited by Helpy Helperton at Dec 17, 2008,
Quote by Helpy Helperton
Floating bridge = other strings detune when you bend. I've gotten used to it now, but it can be irritating at first.

I've found that its not just floating bridges that have that problem. Some cheap guitars with standard tremolos are guilty of it, bend hard enough or put on a higher gauge string and the other strings dip, which make tuning it a real pain if you don't block the bridge.

Some people see it as a hinderance, but I find that it can be quite useful, especially if you just want soft vibrato on an open string.
Quote by ravioli123

Quote by ravioli123
I've found that its not just floating bridges that have that problem. Some cheap guitars with standard tremolos are guilty of it, bend hard enough or put on a higher gauge string and the other strings dip, which make tuning it a real pain if you don't block the bridge.

Some people see it as a hinderance, but I find that it can be quite useful, especially if you just want soft vibrato on an open string.

real men do vibrato on open strings behind their nut

can be either soft or rough
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
The White Strat w/Dimebucker
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Ebony
Fender Telecaster Apple Red
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
use the bar for the bend rather than bending it?
Gear:
Aria lawsuit V
epiphone E-310 strat copy
peavey vypyr 15
boss blues driver II
Kramer striker 100st (invader pickup)
Randall RG50tc

EHX Metal Muff
This is why i really dislike floating bridges. They can be good in some instances but are they really worth all that trouble?!

Ill stick to my hardtail's

To the OP, perhaps take your guitar in for a setup and see if it's any better?
Black Knight CF-60F Semi-Acoustic.

Black Knight CP200 (Red flamed maple).

Neck-thru 4 string bass.

Acoustic 6 string.
Quote by bornfidelity

Yeah but vibrato behind the nut raises the pitch, bending another string would lower it simulating whammy vibrato, although I prefer to just lift the bridge with my fingers to dip the note. Now thats manly!!

And yes, floating bridges are worth every ounce of trouble they bring if you use it often enough to warrant having one. I never need to tune my Ibanez, that alone is worth the effort, and I like having the FR there, it makes me happy just having it there

At the end of the day its a matter of preference, both have their flaws and quirks that you have to deal with regularly. Detuning other strings is only a minor flaw, especially since on my guitar it doesn't detune lower that a half semi-tone, its nothing that you can stop, but bending the harmonizing note to accomodate for the drop in pitch always does the trick.
Quote by ravioli123

Quote by MetalX2006
hi,

When I bend alot for a while my floating bridge on MIM Strat strings goes out tune.
I've always found floyd roses gross as hell.
Quote by ravioli123
I get the same thing, it happens on all FR trems. The solution is when you're bending one note and hitting another on a different string, bend the other note very slightly to bring it back in tune. Works especially well for unison bends

Its absolutely nothing to do with bad quality trems, its simply the extra pull on the bridge caused by bending the string.

what he said.
They don't call me "The King Of Awesomeness" for nothing!
Is there a lesson or better explanation of bending on floating trems somewhere out there? More specifically the whole unison bending thing. I don't completely understand.
Stuff I use:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez RG350DX
Peavey 5150 (Signature)
Marshall 1960AV
Quote by bornfidelity

Yes, because real men can do vibrato behind the locking nut when it is clamped down onto the strings
Quote by littlephil
Yes, because real men can do vibrato behind the locking nut when it is clamped down onto the strings

ergo, real men dont use locking nuts?

Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
The White Strat w/Dimebucker
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Ebony
Fender Telecaster Apple Red
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
Quote by Kingofold
Is there a lesson or better explanation of bending on floating trems somewhere out there? More specifically the whole unison bending thing. I don't completely understand.

I haven't searched for anything, but I'll try to explain as best I can with words.
E-----------------
B-------------15
G-14b16-------

Thats a standard blues bend just as an example. When you bend the G from 14 to 16 the B string will dip a semi-tone or so, making the note on the 15 a lower pitch and out of tune. To practice, maybe get a tuner and hold the bend on the 14th fret, and slowly bend the note on the 15th fret with your baby finger and pick the note until it's in tune, this will give you a feel for how much you have to bend the note to get it back in tune. Thats the solution I found works best, hope it helps
Quote by bornfidelity
ergo, real men dont use locking nuts?

Real men accomodate themselves to the situation, whether playing a fixed or floating bridge, they treat them just the same
Quote by ravioli123

Quote by RockAddict311
When I bend alot for a while my floating bridge on MIM Strat strings goes out tune.
I've always found floyd roses gross as hell.

He doesn't mean that strings go out of tune and need re-tuned, but raher the other strings detune while one is being bent and then return to correct tuning when the bent string is released.
I'm having the same problem on my strat. I have a super vee trem system on it and it's set to float. I'm gonna try and set it flat on the body to see if that fixes it. But if it doesn't anyone gotta any ideas?
Just for the heads up. I know is 2016 but I couldn't find info about this specific trick.

I have this Red Special replica from Harley Benton. (Vintage floating tremolo)

I've installed a roller nut, trem stabilizer, locking tuners, better springs and a schaller sure claw.

Still the strings went down after bends, tweaking the trem arm brought them to pitch again.

After looking and looking for info about a possible solution someone suggested to lube the block slots. Which I agreed were the last possible friction points.

So I've put some teflon based nut lube on each block string slot making sure the balls are full of it and VOILA!!! problem fixed!!