What's your opininion on this Practice Schedule I came with for the holiday:

30 min. Picking exercises w/ metronome

30 min. Improvising over backing tracks (every day over other kind of chords)

30 min. Learning a song

30 min. Picking exercises w/metronome

And when I have much time I could do 45 min or 1 h instead of 30 min.
Cheers
Quote by razorback91
Im sorry, I just don't see how you could argue that hardcore isn't metal. That just seems arrogant to me.

Yes, its its own kind of metal, but its still metal.
60 min. Learning a song, preferably by ear, and after you have play it over a backing track.

59 min. Put a chord progression on and improvise improvise improvise.

1 min. Make an alter for your metronome and sacrifice it to the gods of time. This will please the gods.

Okay, everyone on this forum is going to have a problem with what I just said, so.....Don't stick to it. But believe me, save a pedantic ding dong like Petrucci, that's what everyone should do. Can you even imagine Gilbert or Yngwie with a metronome? Ha.

As far as I'm concerned a backing track is a metronome if it's got a drum beat. And if you want to work on picking exercises, my advice is to work on 'em by learning songs and improvising. If you really want to isolate a scale or an arpeggio, you make a backing track for it and find a drum loop online.
thats all good for lead... but you neglect your rhythm guitar practice.
Youtube covers

[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/MrJumboHumbo[/URL"]
yea, it's not bad, but in my opinion you can't improve well in only 30 minutes...

at least that's how i see it... i play alternate picking exercises for like 3 hours, sometimes that's even the only thing i do if i don't have time!!
on a good day (when i got totally nothing to do) i also spend like 1-2 hours on learning and playing scales over looptracks, and then like 1 hour in total for sweep picking. another hour for chords and general theory. warming up for about an hour. as i don't learn many songs, i spend like 15-30 minutes on it, because i don't see it as useful, but i do like to improvise, while using songs as backing tracks. i think i spend much more time on relearning my own songs!! xD and that's where i have my rhythm practise
yea at the end of the day i might write some lyric or play with riffs or finish some songs...

however, if you think you're gonna gain something from this routine, go for it!
Eat this, today's music-lovers!
Quote by rabidguitarist
A lot of music isn't really going anywhere. There are tons of fans in here going 'oh my god, <> is evolving so much and <> is so shit lol!' but tons of it is just recycled material and tired ideas.
The learning a song part compensates. You learn a song you learn the rhythm part. But, yes you are right.

[EDIT]

Learn songs, learn a lot of songs. Especially when you're starting off. Learn songs, don't sit down and play 16th notes or triplets over and over to a persistent nauseating tick tock. I don't what kind of guitarist you are but what ever it might be you will always have something to learn by just learning a lot of tunes. You work on your technique, you work on trying to imitate another guitarists phrasing; that's the best exercises you can do, because sooner or later you'll be trying to imitate the phrasing in your head. Learning songs, especially by ear is just the logical prerequisite to train yourself to play what's in your head. That's the way, I see it and that's what I feel is most important. And of course improvisation. You learn the art of the masters for one hour, you make your own art for another hour.
Last edited by MisquotedTeabag at Dec 17, 2008,
I'm assuming from your practice regime that you are solely aiming for that machine gun styled picking. Why not find a song with that in and practice those licks? that way you kill two birds with one stone. I'm not really a fan of too many exercises, a few are fine, but if you are playing exercises for 1/2 of your practice session you will end up sounding mechanical, so I would suggest a little more emphasis on musical aspects. Also, metronome practice can be quite dull, so why not get something that slows down and loops musical examples, you can then gradually increase the tempo.

I've also noticed a lack of theory, yet you have improvisation to different chords. I would try to include some kind of arpeggio practice in there and then using those arpeggios over the relevant chords, it's really good practice to try to follow chord progressions with tailor made licks.

The other thing you're missing is legato. You should really put this in to your practice as there will be points where you'll invariably need to sound fluid, so I'd at least get a little bit of this in to your practice even if it's not your current priority.
I say go with the flow... Dont make your self pratice it for a certain amount of time and I dont mean dont practice it, I mean If its something you generaly want to get better at you would find you self praticing it any where any time you should notice that you dont even relise how long you've been playing for and when you have been playing for ages and you realise, why stop? If you have gotten so into it that you didnt relise the time then your progressing (: practice isnt time trail its fun and progressive as much as you make it! and if you are practicing some thing and you find yourself looking at the time and think "oh only ten more minutes" then why are you practing it? you obviously dont enjoy it so why play some thing you dont like?
The sucky thing enjoying what I play for me is that I have a horrible ( read: horrible) amp. Even on clean. And it can't do distortion. In three months I'll be getting a Roland Cube 60
Quote by razorback91
Im sorry, I just don't see how you could argue that hardcore isn't metal. That just seems arrogant to me.

Can you even imagine Gilbert or Yngwie with a metronome? Ha.

Well, Gilbert, yes, definitely.

Anyway, that routine is fine if you really wanna build up picking but still have a bit of "fun" time as well. Try and make sure you use exercises that challenge you, and don't spread your focus too much, a few tough exercises that sound good will do you a lot more good than dozens of easy ones with little musical variation.
Roland Cube I have one they are great you can record and everything!
if you can use guitar pro, that will help with you learnings songs, because you can slow down the tracks to 50% or 75% and it acts like a metronome.

i've been practicing the same things for days and i make one of my joints a little sore (my 3rd/ring finger, first joint from knuckle, think from bending 10-52 strings on 25.5 scales), so have given the fast stuff a rest for now.. think with the faster bends i was using too much finger muscle, not enough hand... anyway, i don't encourage spending too much time on one kind of thing =)
Everyone's practice schedule is gonna be slightly different of course, but I'd definately recommend the following.
Take those two 30min slots of practice with a metronome and turn it into.
20mins - No-tempo practice. Training your fingers for efficient movement with minimal/no tension.
40mins - Metronome practice. Applying the efficient, tensionless movement to scales/arpeggios.

You'll be surprised how drastically just a short amount of no-tempo practice can improve your playing.

Just a suggestion though!
Thanks I'll try
Quote by razorback91