i plan on buying some pickguard material and creating an rg style pickguard from sratch. what should i use to cut it? what i need to do is route out the pickups, the screws, the pots and a 5 way switch. i was thinking maybe a jigsaw but i was hoping that there was something i could use by hand instead.

ideas?
My idea, if this were my project, i would take it very old school. I would draw out my design on the pickguard and then i would take ruler and a craft knife and cut it out. If the craft knife doesn't work, then probably jigsaw, or a mini version of one
I'm Luke.
Quote by Datrooper
My idea, if this were my project, i would take it very old school. I would draw out my design on the pickguard and then i would take ruler and a craft knife and cut it out. If the craft knife doesn't work, then probably jigsaw, or a mini version of one

alright cool, i already did the drawing of the pickguard. i should also mention that im buying a 1ply pickguard
Well i havent done this before, but that ^ craft knife idea could work, but what i'd do is cut it lightly first with the knife so you have a little channel etched into the pickgaurd, then i'd go over it, very slowly, but press down harder so you make more of channel, i'd do this a few times until your nearly through the material and then i'd just cut it... hopefully that way you'll get nice clean cuts and there would be any rought parts.
Black Knight CF-60F Semi-Acoustic.

Black Knight CP200 (Red flamed maple).

Neck-thru 4 string bass.

Acoustic 6 string.
use a dremmel with the cutting bits and telescoping plane. all together will cost maybe 50 bux at most. a really cool material for pickguards is plexiglass! you can get it at the hardware store when you get your dremmel. look in the replacement storm door window section. they cost about 3 bucks for a 5x3 square.
I use a dremmel with a high speed cutter. A dremmel with a router attachment would work pretty good to. A jig saw would work. A craft knif would take along time and provide many chances to slip and gouge the pickguard or cut yourself.
Quote by Tackleberry
I use a dremmel with a high speed cutter. A dremmel with a router attachment would work pretty good to. A jig saw would work. A craft knif would take along time and provide many chances to slip and gouge the pickguard or cut yourself.

Thats why you either take your time, or cut away from yourself, so you cut your friend
I'm Luke.