So, I'm getting an Epiphone Les Paul Custom Ex (with EMG Hi-Z's) in a week.
I play mostly metalcore( Trivium, Killswitch Engage), Thrash metal(Slayer, Pantera) and such. Would this be a good choice?

Thanks
If it is with EMGs I think so. But I would choice a guitar like a ESP or jackson with jumbo frets.
Gear:

-ESP/LTD M-100FM
-Yamaha Pacifica PAC012
-PBS 15Watts Amplifier
-Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah Pedal
-Monster 25ft. Cable
-Dunlop Tortex 1mm Picks
-Dunlop Strap (Heavy Duty)
- Ernie Ball 10-46
Quote by Frankgt2
If it is with EMGs I think so. But I would choice a guitar like a ESP or jackson with jumbo frets.

Yeah, I was thinking of getting a *HIGH END!* BC Rich but meh..
I could go for
an Epiphone Les Paul Custom
a Jackson RX 10 D BK
MAYBE if I'm really nice a Jackson Kelly KE 3 BK

Which would YOU choose?
The EMGs will give you the tone you want, particularly in the Les Paul body. But only if you've got the amp to match.

As for the other options, from memory most Jacksons are made of Alder, so they'll offer a tone with a lot more top end, a bit more of a razory sharpness than the full, chunky tone of a Les Paul, depends if you're leaning more towards lead or rhythm. The Jacksons tend to be fitted with jumbo or extra jumbo frets and thinner necks which will make lead playing a little easier but might not feel right to you.

It really comes down to feel and what you prefer. Personally I can't stand guitars with really thin necks and jumbo frets, they just don't work for me. I play an Epiphone Les Paul Custom with Gibson Burstbuckers in it and the fatter neck and medium frets just feel really good to play for me.

The only way to pick the right one is to spend a little time playing both and go with the one that is more comfortable.
Quote by CoBRaGe
Btw Trivium are not metalcore As I Lay Dying are metalcore.

I know what metalcore is.
But Trivium has some metalcore songs.
And I play those.
go try out the ones you like the look of, its the only way my friend
I sat next to a nun on the bus once, she said hi

Twitter: @Pikey_P - wise words right there.
Quote by vegetable-jim
go try out the ones you like the look of, its the only way my friend

Yeah, I know. But I'm going there in a week, maybe 2. So that's why I want to know what you people find worth trying.
I think I'll try the Kelly and the LP Custom..
Uh, the Epi LP EX has active 85/81 EMG pickups, not the passive Hz's. It's the Zakk Wylde Custom that has the passive EMG Hzs.

Anyway. That guitar (or any guitar with active pickups in fact) is only a good choice if you have the right sort of amp to actually make use of it. If your amp isn't suitable or if you use pedals then there's no point having active pickups nor high-output passive pickups.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
Uh, the Epi LP EX has active 85/81 EMG pickups, not the passive Hz's. It's the Zakk Wylde Custom that has the passive EMG Hzs.

Anyway. That guitar (or any guitar with active pickups in fact) is only a good choice if you have the right sort of amp to actually make use of it. If your amp isn't suitable or if you use pedals then there's no point having active pickups nor high-output passive pickups.

Epiphone Les Paul Custom Ex Emg.
That one has Hi-Zs. Atleast this one does.
Quote by stratdud39
well idont really like HZs so i woudnt getit
whats your budget?

Dad's paying, but the MAX is 600 euro.
I'd not go with an Epi LP Custom. They are not better than Epi Standards and I consider those overpriced already - After trying a lot of chinese Epis, I have to say that Epiphone's quality control isn't very picky and you can usually expect crappy electronics and poor craftsmanship.

If you want an Epi, take your time and look for a good one - after you found it, just replace the useless stock pickups with some replacement pups of your choice.

Otherwise, I'd look into other brands. If you happen to live in Europe, see if you can get your hands on a Yamaha AES620. The few I tried were a lot better than Epis, concerning both sound and craftsmanship.
Vintage is also worth a look. I'd check out their Peter Green Lemon Drop LP, the one I tried was really nice (very comfortable neck). The pickups in it aren't bad - but they are probably not suited for your taste. Try and see I say, it's not too expensive so there's some money left to swap the bridge pickup at least.
Maybe have a look at Ibanez ART guitars, the ART 300 especially should work for you. I'm not a fan of it's active pups, but once again this guitar has a rather low price, so those can be replaced. If you live in the USA, this one is probably your best option. Best I can think of, that is.

If you are willing to get somethin that is not an LP, look at Ibanez guitars in that price range or maybe a used Ltd EC 400.

EDIT:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/yamaha_aes620_chg.htm
http://www.thomann.de/gb/ibanez_art320_tgb.htm
http://www.thomann.de/gb/ibanez_art500dvs.htm
http://www.thomann.de/gb/ibanez_arx500amb.htm

Some I could find quickly. If you have 600 to spend, the ARX500 is a very good option. I know it looks odd, but it's a really good guitar. It certainly sounds better than you'd expect for the money. You can also afford the ART500, though I don't think it's much better than the 300, it just looks a little prettier.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Dec 17, 2008,
Quote by LordPino
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Ex Emg.
That one has Hi-Zs. Atleast this one does.

Are you sure you're not thinking of this?

http://www.epiphone.com/default.asp?ProductID=291&CollectionID=6

Because that's the only Les Paul 'EX' model of any kind that's ever been produced by Epiphone, and that has 81/85 active EMG pickups.

And incidently, the only guitar Epiphone have ever produced with the passive Hz EMG pickups is the Zakk Wylde model.

So either:
- You've got you specs wrong and the guitar you're after actually has active EMGs.
- You've got the guitar's name wrong and the guitar you're after is actually the Zakk Wylde LP.
- Someone's messed around with whatever guitar it is you're thinking of buying and changed the active EMG pickups for cheaper passive EMGs.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
Are you sure you're not thinking of this?

http://www.epiphone.com/default.asp?ProductID=291&CollectionID=6

Because that's the only Les Paul 'EX' model of any kind that's ever been produced by Epiphone, and that has 81/85 active EMG pickups.

And incidently, the only guitar Epiphone have ever produced with the passive Hz EMG pickups is the Zakk Wylde model.

So either:
- You've got you specs wrong and the guitar you're after actually has active EMGs.
- You've got the guitar's name wrong and the guitar you're after is actually the Zakk Wylde LP.
- Someone's messed around with whatever guitar it is you're thinking of buying and changed the active EMG pickups for cheaper passive EMGs.

http://feedback.nl/?b=EPLPCUEX&a= .
Thats with EMG Hi-Zs.

By the way, I've looked it up and you are right, Epiphone says it has EMG-81 /85s. But the store says differently. I've sent an email and am waiting for someone to answer. Oh, and yes, that is the EXACT guitar. I played it in the store this summer, but didn't check out which pickups it had. Ah well, they'll reply soon(I hope).

Received an Email. Indeed contains 81/85s.
Last edited by LordPino at Dec 19, 2008,
Quote by TheQuailman
I'd not go with an Epi LP Custom. They are not better than Epi Standards and I consider those overpriced already - After trying a lot of chinese Epis, I have to say that Epiphone's quality control isn't very picky and you can usually expect crappy electronics and poor craftsmanship.

If you want an Epi, take your time and look for a good one - after you found it, just replace the useless stock pickups with some replacement pups of your choice.

Otherwise, I'd look into other brands. If you happen to live in Europe, see if you can get your hands on a Yamaha AES620. The few I tried were a lot better than Epis, concerning both sound and craftsmanship.
Vintage is also worth a look. I'd check out their Peter Green Lemon Drop LP, the one I tried was really nice (very comfortable neck). The pickups in it aren't bad - but they are probably not suited for your taste. Try and see I say, it's not too expensive so there's some money left to swap the bridge pickup at least.
Maybe have a look at Ibanez ART guitars, the ART 300 especially should work for you. I'm not a fan of it's active pups, but once again this guitar has a rather low price, so those can be replaced. If you live in the USA, this one is probably your best option. Best I can think of, that is.

If you are willing to get somethin that is not an LP, look at Ibanez guitars in that price range or maybe a used Ltd EC 400.

EDIT:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/yamaha_aes620_chg.htm
http://www.thomann.de/gb/ibanez_art320_tgb.htm
http://www.thomann.de/gb/ibanez_art500dvs.htm
http://www.thomann.de/gb/ibanez_arx500amb.htm

Some I could find quickly. If you have 600 to spend, the ARX500 is a very good option. I know it looks odd, but it's a really good guitar. It certainly sounds better than you'd expect for the money. You can also afford the ART500, though I don't think it's much better than the 300, it just looks a little prettier.

Wow. The Quailman has spoken. I feel honoured.

What about a Jackson Kelly KE3? It has Duncan Designed humbuckers and a Floyd Rose licenced tremelo.( I like Floyd Roses, I don't mind the string change problem).?
The Epiphone Prophecy you chose is an amazing guitar. Eventually I am going to have one of each of the Prophesy line. I have not played one yet that wasn't amazing. They have all been consistant. I think you will be very happy with your choice. I play a couple dozen guitars a week and these guitars are better than most guitars costing 1000s more.

John
Last edited by johnro6659 at Dec 19, 2008,
I would say a Schecter that comes in EMGs (C1 maybe?) but Les pauls are nice too.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
I have An Epi Les Paul Custom, and it pulls of thrash real well with even the stock pickups.

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=MuvGf3qNKSI&feature=channel_page

That's me playing some Death Magnetic, I think it pulls off Metallica tone real well.
Quote by IROBOTInferno
I've never been caught (beating off), but my dad was picking up my gf once and "accidentaly" grabbed her boobs.
Quote by LordPino
What about a Jackson Kelly KE3? It has Duncan Designed humbuckers and a Floyd Rose licenced tremelo.( I like Floyd Roses, I don't mind the string change problem).?

Jacksons always seemed like high quality guitars to me. However, I have only been able to play them in a store, since I don't own one myself and so I can't say much about the Floyd's reliability. But the Jackson Floyds do have a good reputation here on UG, so I think it should be all right.
Otherwise, the playability and build quality of the ~600€ Jacksons is very good in general, so is the sound. They are a good bit different than the Epi concerning feel though, so it's best to try the KE3 out before buying.

If you combine it with one of the Roland Cubes that have been mentioned in your amp thread, you have a killer set up.
Like I said in that other thread, a Cube 30 would be better because of the modeling options, but the Cube 15 will suffice if it has to and I admit it's hard to say no if you can pick it up for 60 bucks.

EDIT: Doesn't the KE3 have real Duncans instead of the Duncan designed ones?
It says so on the thomann site:http://www.thomann.de/gb/search_dir.html?xsid=c9120164d75491bdd2d315e0e17ca458&sw=jackson+KE3&x=0&y=0
Last edited by TheQuailman at Dec 19, 2008,
Quote by TheQuailman
Jacksons always seemed like high quality guitars to me. However, I have only been able to play them in a store, since I don't own one myself and so I can't say much about the Floyd's reliability. But the Jackson Floyds do have a good reputation here on UG, so I think it should be all right.
Otherwise, the playability and build quality of the ~600€ Jacksons is very good in general, so is the sound. They are a good bit different than the Epi concerning feel though, so it's best to try the KE3 out before buying.

If you combine it with one of the Roland Cubes that have been mentioned in your amp thread, you have a killer set up.
Like I said in that other thread, a Cube 30 would be better because of the modeling options, but the Cube 15 will suffice if it has to and I admit it's hard to say no if you can pick it up for 60 bucks.

EDIT: Doesn't the KE3 have real Duncans instead of the Duncan designed ones?
It says so on the thomann site:http://www.thomann.de/gb/search_dir.html?xsid=c9120164d75491bdd2d315e0e17ca458&sw=jackson+KE3&x=0&y=0

No, the Jackson had modified pickups
Anyways, the Jackson was sold before I had a chance to try it. Such a shame.

I've decided to go for the LP. I'm getting it tomorrow, if not, Tuesday.
I will tell you how it sounds, a LP with EMG's. Let's hope it's the first one that doesn't sound horrible

Thanks, all mighty Quailman!
PS: I'm affraid the Jackson would be a bit worse played clean than the LP. I have to play clean for school and guitar lessons, so a decent clean sound would be useful.
Ah well, EMGs have a clean tone all their own. It's not for everyone, but some people love it. If you like it, more power to you!
I'm looking forward to some pictures of the guitar.

Quote by TheQuailman
Ah well, EMGs have a clean tone all their own. It's not for everyone, but some people love it. If you like it, more power to you!
I'm looking forward to some pictures of the guitar.

First thing I'll do once I get home from the store * after putting some thicker strings on it and resetting it up * is take some pictures.
I suppose .12s would do for standard C/Drop A#?
Quote by TheQuailman
Yeah, sounds good. 0.11s would also work, but I'd take 0.12s, too. I don't like it when the strings are too sloppy.

Okay. D'addario's sound okay with EMG's, right?

I play with .11 daddies( as I prefer to call D'addario) on my current guitar and C is a bit loose, I think Drop A# would really kill that 'E' string ^^
Quote by TheQuailman
The strings don't make much of a difference soundwise imo. D'Addarios are good and cheap, so yeah, good choice.

They came with standard .12s!:O

I must say, I didn't buy a new amp, so I played this over a WHACK amp.
The cleans
Were
UNBELIEVABLE.

Really, I have never heard such a great clean sound!
And, * my friend has a 2000 euro Marshall stack*, it sounds damn tight distorted!