Hi all,

I got a little drunk after work nearly a couple of weeks ago, I walked past the music shop.
I went in wanting to check out the handwired 1959 slp reissue and somehow stumbled out of there with a Line 6 SV HD100 "thing". Duh!

I tried it in the shop for only a few minutes because they were closing for the day and "wow!", I easily managed to easily get some cool Zakk harmonics going on, along with some nice percussive muting. Cool! Sold!

I then Chucked it in a taxi, went home, jammed out with my new amp and some Chivas Regal.
What a mistake!! I'm still feeling rotten two weeks later! I hate this amp!!

If I turn the master volume to only about 0.75 and it gets really loud. But not a nice loud at all, harsh, shrill and lifeless. Yuck, I hate it!!

Try to tell any one at the line six forum that. They would all sell (put the name of the nicest amp you can imagine here) their tube amp for this "thing".

I sheepishly took it back to the shop today to see it if is faulty (A/Bd against a new SV), no, they are quite obviously designed to sound, well, "that way" is a nice way to put it.

It sounds ok really quiet, but not good.
The guy in the shop today played on it (I didn't want to because I hate it so much) and he said "It's awesome for metal!!" and proceeded to go chugga-chug-chuggedy-chug.
I said to him "look me in the eye and honestly tell me you think this amp sounds nice", he stopping chugging and then proceeded to show me around the shop and talk trade ins.

The amp is very "articulate" for fast playing, does artificial harmonics well and umm...well..uh.....well what do I expect for that kind of money. It's got no soul brothers.

Alot of my favourite licks I don't play through this amp, because it just won't sound nice.
Vibrato and sustain are yuck, tone is lifeless with cheap effects slapped in to cover the bad tone like a dressing over a festering wound.

I'm going for a marshall again, I love them and no bloody way does any modelling sound even close to a good one, try and tell someone at Line 6 that.

I'll use the marshall for making the classic rock the sounds I love and keep my little behringer practice amp for practicing in my room when everyone else is asleep.

That is what modelling is good for, ie, getting a simulation of a cranked real tube amp at low volume and adding quick and easy effects to it so that when you are half pissed you think it sounds professional.

Maybe that is why so many pub cover bands use modelling gear. Why carry around all that heavy tube amp stuff when most of the audience are too pissed too give a damn what your amp really sounds like.

So anyway,
NEVER GO TO YOUR LOCAL MUSIC SHOP ALL CASHED UP AND HALF PISSED, YOU MAY LIVE TO REGRET IT.
Last edited by aquila_rosso at Dec 17, 2008,
eh. Thanks?
XBL GamerTag = IAmSentient6

My gear:
Ibanez Artist
ESP ltd Viper 200
Schecter Diamond 8

Amps:
Marhshall MG30 (for sale)
Line 6 Spider III Half Stack (mine forever)
Interested in Melodic Thrash Metal? ALUSTRIUM AND LAST NAIL DRIVEN!
I did that once, and left with a DS-1 when I wanted a Big Muff. Not happy.

In the end I got the Muff with a cool mod though, so everyone's happy.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
I got a pretty sweet oscillator after shopping around online high once, I don't regret it.
Emo is to music as etch-a-sketch is to art.

Quote by TMVolta19
Music can't really be judged, since it's all on the same level. Unless it's screamo. then it sucks.
Quote by CaRveItiNbass
eh. Thanks?

Eh? No problem, You own a line 6 you will never part with, so I wouldn't expect you to get it.
i ended up with a marshall MG15DFX =[ it's ''ok'' will do me for jamming in my room and at friends houses, i actually wanted a vox but they didnt have any in the shop so ended up with the marshall.

hopefully gonna get a vox for my b.day in feb. (not christmas, spending that money on a holiday)
Quote by shadow__666
I did that once, and left with a DS-1 when I wanted a Big Muff. Not happy.

In the end I got the Muff with a cool mod though, so everyone's happy.

I title the post "something ugly after a night drinking" and you reply talking about some "Big Muff".

Good stuff, glad somebody has still got some humour.
These forum can get awefully serious huh?
Quote by Dempsey68
i ended up with a marshall MG15DFX =[ it's ''ok'' will do me for jamming in my room and at friends houses, i actually wanted a vox but they didnt have any in the shop so ended up with the marshall.

hopefully gonna get a vox for my b.day in feb. (not christmas, spending that money on a holiday)

All amps can be used to make music if you have talent.
High end amps are not always easy to use, but if you can play, they will reward you.
The main thing though is get good at making music, if you sound good on a practice/budget amp, you will sound awesome on a pro rig.
Most of all, always enjoy music.

And most of most of all your audience will like how it sounds best, if you rock, are not to damn "serious" about your music, and of course they are all a littlr bit pissed and wanting to party.
Quote by aquila_rosso
All amps can be used to make music if you have talent.
High end amps are not always easy to use, but if you can play, they will reward you.
The main thing though is get good at making music, if you sound good on a practice/budget amp, you will sound awesome on a pro rig.
Most of all, always enjoy music.

And most of most of all your audience will like how it sounds best, if you rock, are not to damn "serious" about your music, and of course they are all a littlr bit pissed and wanting to party.

Amusing post, for sure. I agree about the people you're playing for. In almost all cases, no one gives a rat's ass what the guitar tone sounds like, as long as you hit most of the notes right.
I think you have the high-end amp/cheap amp thing backward though. Any half-assed beginner can sound borderline acceptable on some cheap amp w/ a bunch of FX to bury the lack of skill, but plug the same guy straight into a Soldano, Divided by 13, or Dr Z, & you'll have the lack of skill front & center. No hiding.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Quote by riffhog
Amusing post, for sure. I agree about the people you're playing for. In almost all cases, no one gives a rat's ass what the guitar tone sounds like, as long as you hit most of the notes right.
I think you have the high-end amp/cheap amp thing backward though. Any half-assed beginner can sound borderline acceptable on some cheap amp w/ a bunch of FX to bury the lack of skill, but plug the same guy straight into a Soldano, Divided by 13, or Dr Z, & you'll have the lack of skill front & center. No hiding.

No, that was my point excactly, "if you sound good on a cheap amp and can play, a good amp will reward you".
Very true about no hiding your mistakes via an quality amp.

This post was just me venting my frustration at my mistake. I had to try and make a joke out of it.

As far as audiences go, I think there are still some discerning listeners out there who aprieciate musical talent and nice sounding instruments, but unfortunatly the majority seem very ignorant of music.
Just look at the set lists of your run of mill pub covers bands. Here in NZ at least most people just want to go out, drink. dance and only hear there favourite radio songs performed.
The covers bands only do it they can stand there and perv on all the drunk skirt jumping around.
It is hard to find a good venue these days.
In the '90s there would always be several bands in town, playing all kinds of good music, from classic rock to blues, metal, alternative and originals.
Whats more, many laymen knew what a les paul and a jcm 800 is.

So audiences might be easily pleased these days, but I'm not, the SV HD 100 is going back, looks like the shop will swap for a used TSL100 head.