OK, so in my earlier thread regarding Billy Corgan's clean tone on Siamese Dream, I was told that he used a Marshall JCM800 with KT88 power tubes which gave him that beautiful sparkly clean.

Now I'm getting a DSL 401, can I put the KT88s in the power amp and if so will it make much of a difference? Because I really can't afford a used JCM800, forget about new. A 900, maybe at a pinch, if it helps.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
No, KT88s won't fit in a DSL401 since it runs on EL84s. They have totally different sockets.
The gear is in the profile.
You know you want to take a look

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Strat-mangling, echo-eating janglefan σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
OK, what about a used 900?

EDIT: Or a Randall RG50TC? They run EL34s stock, same as the JCM800. If I put a couple of KT88s in the power amp, would it improve its cleans? It'd be easy for me to switch my order from a DSL to an RG50TC, and I like them.

Failing that, are there any other tubes which would give me a similar tone?
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Last edited by shadow__666 at Dec 17, 2008,
In theory, you could swap EL34s for KT88s, but it depens on the amp. Here, give this a read: http://www.audioasylum.com/scripts/t.pl?f=tubes&m=161201

But, I wouldn't buy an amp just because it (can) run KT88s to get a certain tone. There are much bigger factors in tone than just the power tubes. The RG50TC and the JCM900 will both sound completely different from Corgan's JCM800, even with KT88s. You'd be way better off just trying to find an amp that can give you a good clean sound that pleases you.
The gear is in the profile.
You know you want to take a look

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Strat-mangling, echo-eating janglefan σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
kt88s cannot just be dropped in, first off, you need to make sure the amp can even fit them as they are big bottle tubes. Second and more importantly, you need to make sure the amp can even run them safely. kt88s draw significantly more idle current than el34s, if you wanted to bias them to spec you'd be pulling a lot of current and you had better make sure your amp's transformers can handle that kind of workout.

edit: I can't really suggest you a tube that sounds the same as a KT88 but JJ makes an el34L that has a bigger low end and slightly more headroom than your standard run of the mill el34 if that is what you're looking for.
Last edited by al112987 at Dec 17, 2008,