Page 1 of 5
Many famous guitarists can't: Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page, Paul McCartney, Jimi Hendrix...

I can't too, I'm in choir class and the sheet music of Hark, the Herald Angels sing and all the other songs make absolute no sense to me.
I can't follow it, just can't. I just learn it by melody and it works totally fine.
I used to play violin when I was 8 but the tutor kept shouting at me because I can't understand the music, but I seem to play it fine because he shows it to me.
I know the rhythm and what the dots represent, I just can't follow it.
I can understand some tabs, but a youtube video showing how to play the song is way more helpful.

can you read it?
Are you sure Jimmy Page can't? He used to be a session musician, and I'd think he'd need to know how to read music to do that.

And yes.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
I can read it fairly well now, but unless I'm concentrating really well I screw up a lot.
Plus reading both staves for piano quickly wrecks my head!
Yes but only on guitar..
I can't point out an F or something but I do know how to play a note on the guitar when I see it.. Strange I know
~And the raindrops in the cars

Keep on falling from off the bars

Blocking out a good song

Playing on the radio~
I don't believe for a second that Paul McCartney can't. But I can't sight-read, but I can read music.
Demolition hands.... Got 'em!
i can't for guitar, but as a kid i could read music for trumpet. i no, trumpet rocks.
Quote by merfsullivan
I don't believe for a second that Paul McCartney can't. But I can't sight-read, but I can read music.

Paul really can't. When he composed a symphony, he had to play all the parts on a keyboard into a machine that would create sheet music for him, which had to be tweaked later on.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

I used to when i played sax in jr high. cant anymore. i use tabs or figure it out by ear on the simpler stuff
I can, but I still stick with my ear and tabs. Reading music gives me a head ache.
nope. i play guitar, bass, and piano and i cannot read sheet music at all.
Quote by nodice182
Denny Crane.

Quote by dmiwshicldply
touche vman, touche

mate. feed. kill. repeat.
A little bit (I know Every Good Boy Deserves Fruit and FACE) but not beyond that. I don't care either.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Yes, I know quite some theory, but I don't really put it to use, I just play fast wankery that doesn't make any sense and has no melody whatsoever....
Sorta. I'm not brilliant at it and I can only pick out single notes, nothing like chords or anything.

If it's on a bass clef then forget about it =D
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

Shall I sig that?
Quote by razorback91
Im sorry, I just don't see how you could argue that hardcore isn't metal. That just seems arrogant to me.

Yes, its its own kind of metal, but its still metal.
Yeah Jimi couldn't read at all, and he's completely self taught

and I'm listening to him now

man do I love hendrix
Kerry King Of the Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join. Australians only

Quote by dehollister

and im 14 got any problems ill f*ckin drop you.

HE'LL DO IT

Quote by Kensai
Spooni_Shaq is the best UGer ever, period
Jimmy Page was definitely classically trained.

And yes. It comes really easy to me too (that's what she said) but it's probably because of the 8 years of piano lessons I took.
My Gear:
Squier Stratocaster
Line 6 Spider III 75w
Line 6 FBV Express

Wanted Gear:
Gibson Les Paul
Gibson ES335
Marshall JVM410H
Marshall JCM800
Dunlop Crybaby
I use tabs and just improv by ear.
Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who...
Quote by Necrophagist777
I'm ORION, LORD OF EVIL, give me your soul and breathe in my darkness.

YOU WILL NOT ENJOY THIS......
╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮
Quote by Spooni_Shaq
Yeah Jimi couldn't read at all, and he's completely self taught

and I'm listening to him now

man do I love hendrix

They need to release Black Gold, god damn it.

And the rest of his demos should be easily accessed. Like his Martin Luther King.
Quote by vintage x metal

Most of us who had music in secondry school probably had to learn it. I forgot it, and started learning it a few months back. I rememeber it a little bit.
I've played the flute for 6 years and i've had 5 years of music school, so yeah, i can read music. But these days i never use is, as there is a difference between reading notes or tabs.
With a guitar, I've been playing Japanese ethnic drums since I was 9 so I didn't have to know any theory, just learn the moves.
Many students with my class now seem to have trouble without any music, but I have trouble with it so I tend to learn the drum solos easier.
i can - because i played piano years ago and that really helps on the guitar now
Eat this, today's music-lovers!
Quote by rabidguitarist
A lot of music isn't really going anywhere. There are tons of fans in here going 'oh my god, <> is evolving so much and <> is so shit lol!' but tons of it is just recycled material and tired ideas.
Hell no!

I'm going to learn though, 'Cause I plan to learn like Classical Piano, Viola, Ondes Martenot and stuff like that
Quote by ctb
Most of us who had music in secondry school probably had to learn it. I forgot it, and started learning it a few months back. I rememeber it a little bit.

I've been playing piano since I was five, so I had to learn how to read music at a really young age. Then when I took up guitar playing, I quit reading music for a few years and so it took me awhile to get it back.
Quote by vintage x metal

I'm very glad that I actually quit violin years ago, and never attempted a piano...
I can read music well enough. I find it difficult to play guitar from sheet music, as i'm used to piano or violin, but i can do it. I do find, however, that a piece is much easier to play if i have both tab and sheet music, rather than just tab. Means i can sit down and work out everything if i'm having problems

My sight reading is appalling tho, on all instruments; I play by ear, so without time to really work on the sheet music and play it in little bits, my brain and eyes can't keep up with my hands. Once i know roughly how the piece sounds tho, sheet music makes a very good prompt.
I can read treble, bass and alto clefs fluently, and I can read tenor and soprano clefs with some amount of working things out. I can just about read for transposing instruments as well.
There's nothing like blowing your own trumpet.
I take classical guitar lessons so I know how to read fairly well...but it's weird, as soon as I concentrate too much on the score I will screw up the music, but without a score in front of me I don't know what to play.

Forza Juve

'e voglia 'e mettere rum, chi nasce strunz' nun po' addiventà babbà
I've been reading it for almost a decade now. When I first started playing guitar I used tabs but have not looked at any since I've started studying jazz. As a music major I'm also trying to get better at reading scores as well as all clefs and transpositions.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by K Dizzle
i can't read actual music for guitar, just tabs, but i can read sheet music for trombone, bass guitar, and tuba

Same here. I played every instrument at least once in band during high school and middle school, I just can't play off sheet music for guitar or piano...I know the notes though.
Last edited by eyebanez333 at Dec 17, 2008,
Page 1 of 5