Hey guys, I've got a Line 6 Flextone III (yesh, a modelling amp)
I really love the clean tones and the more sort of hard rock tones but for really distorted metal tones the thing isn't so hot.

I was thinking of buying a distortion pedal to kinda help out with those kinds of sounds but I've heard bad things about pedals going through modelling amps. Is this because it wasn't done right or something or is it impossible ti get a good tone out of them?

And could anyone recommend me some good pedals? I play stuff like metallica, nightwish, bodom, firewind...that kinda stuff.

Thanks
Gear n Shizz:

Washburn X50 Pro
Epiphone Korina Explorer
Line 6 Flextone III 75w
hmm I'll wait for the "don't buy a pedal get a new amp" response
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Quote by DSOTM80
hmm I'll wait for the "don't buy a pedal get a new amp" response

i would
I don't want a new amp tbh, flextone's are good amplifiers.
Gear n Shizz:

Washburn X50 Pro
Epiphone Korina Explorer
Line 6 Flextone III 75w
In my experiences, modeling amps and pedals are not a very good marriage. The only way to know for sure is borrow a pedal and try it out and see if you like it. But it being a modeling amp, i doubt it will make much difference.
beware: modeling amps + distortion pedals = subpar sounds. its gonna sound terrible with a distortion pedal, way worse than using a normal amp with a distortion pedal. your best bet is saving up a couple hundred bucks and invest in a real amp that can handle pedals well. for 250-300 bucks you can get several decent tube amps and a couple great SS ones.
Quote by Gregoric
And could anyone recommend me some good pedals? I play stuff like metallica, nightwish, bodom, firewind...that kinda stuff.

I play a blend of Thrash, Industrial, and Black Metal with some Progressive/Experimental ****, and my set up is actually pretty basic and can get you some really good sounds.

My guitar runs through a CFH (Dime Signature) Wah Pedal, which runs through a BOSS MT-2 Metal Zone Distortion Pedal into a Crate GTD120 (soon to be swapped for a Marshall Half Stack). It's basic, but it gets some seriously good sounds going. I can play anything from light bluesy stuff all the way down into the deep dark **** like Dimmu Borgir, Children of Bodom, Celtic Frost, all that good bollocks.

But yeah, definitely look at another amp. Even if Flextone is nice, it appears to not be doing its job. And, from personal experience, it's very discouraging to know you're playing something that will never sound as good as you need it to be.
I have a peavey vypyr 30W and my distortion pedal doesn't play very well through it.

my set up is a G-400 -> cry baby -> digitech hot head -> vypyr.

on a couple models, it will work fine an gives a great tone. on the rest, you may as well take the pedal out of the chain altogether. Hope that gives you some sort of idea.