this is a fender starcaster, the price is pretty cheap, possibly less than a 100 bucks but is this damage something that could get really bad and would have to be repaired? just looking for a cheap strat bodied guitar for a project. would be nice to just be able to play it awhile but if this would need to be repaired a.s.a.p. i would maybe consider something else.

I cant really see the crack in that pic. But in my opinion, a starcaster guitar is not worth repairing. It would cost you more than a new starcaster would. If you want an inexpensive strat style guitar that is worth owning, a Yamaha Pacifica may be just right for you.
i wouldn't really want to repair it unless it had to be. there are 2 cracks that i guess are in the body itself where the neck bolts on. i would mostly just be messing around with it and later when i'm more informed on pickups probably put a set in it, and more than likely change the neck to an all maple neck if that would be possible.

i guess what i'm asking is would that hold up or would it end up breaking (from tension?) later on
Quote by tenaciouswannaB
i wouldn't really want to repair it unless it had to be. there are 2 cracks that i guess are in the body itself where the neck bolts on. i would mostly just be messing around with it and later when i'm more informed on pickups probably put a set in it, and more than likely change the neck to an all maple neck if that would be possible.

i guess what i'm asking is would that hold up or would it end up breaking (from tension?) later on

I would not even bother upgrading that guitar. Your money would be better spent on a Yamaha Pacifica. That starcaster is gonna just be nothing but problems and a huge headache.
what is this? is that yellow rain falling on my parade?

nah but seriously, i understand your advice. i actually see where one of those sold on ebay for 139 with free shipping with nothing wrong. this guy has a buy it now of 129, and 20 bucks shipping. it also is missing a chunk out of the body that he says fender sanded down and recoated but didn't refinish. i think 60 or 70 bucks would be a good deal for that but not much more.

i dont know anything about them so i'm not challenging you, but what makes starcaster's so bad?

there was a guy selling a 91 or 92 fender strat on craigslist near me last week, only needed the input to be resoldered and a set of strings, wanted 50 bucks for it. i have no idea why i waited a week to ask him about it
Quote by tenaciouswannaB
what is this? is that yellow rain falling on my parade?

nah but seriously, i understand your advice. i actually see where one of those sold on ebay for 139 with free shipping with nothing wrong. this guy has a buy it now of 129, and 20 bucks shipping. it also is missing a chunk out of the body that he says fender sanded down and recoated but didn't refinish. i think 60 or 70 bucks would be a good deal for that but not much more.

i dont know anything about them so i'm not challenging you, but what makes starcaster's so bad?

there was a guy selling a 91 or 92 fender strat on craigslist near me last week, only needed the input to be resoldered and a set of strings, wanted 50 bucks for it. i have no idea why i waited a week to ask him about it

Im not saying they are bad, they are what they are. An inexpensive entry level guitar. Im just saying for the money you would spend on a new neck, and new pickups, you could buy a decent guitar that will last and is worth having.
i dont think he meant that strats were bad, he just is saying that your going to spend more money rebuilding one that you could just buy. if you want a strat, why not buy a cheaper one that is useable and just upgrade the pups and ****. i wouldnt buy one with damage tho really. even if the electronics suck, spend some money on some pups and it would be nice.
I am really not very familiar with the starcaster. But i do know i have seen them for sale in grocery stores when i have been buying groceries. That tells me something right away. If you know what i mean.
i mostly just want something to tinker with. i'm not really trying to buy a cheap guitar and put a huge chunk of money in it, but there's a chance that might be where i end up. as long as i'm happy with the end result it doesn't really matter if i use a cheap starter body to me. kinda like those idiots that take a pinto and make an 8 second 1/4 mile car. ugly as hell and you think "wtf, why dude" but they're just happy to be hauling ass.

i was eyeballing that one cause i love that silverburst finish and because empty strat bodies on ebay are going for more than that whole guitar. i'm hoping to eventually stumble across a 60 or 70 dollar deal for a whole strat. it doesn't have to be a fender i'm just looking for something with a skinnier and lighter neck.

probably be blasphemy to say this out loud but i hate my les paul, its big and cumbersome and has a really thick and wide neck.
Quote by IPlaySchecter
I am really not very familiar with the starcaster. But i do know i have seen them for sale in grocery stores when i have been buying groceries. That tells me something right away. If you know what i mean.

well if we're talking First Act quality (a.k.a. the wal mart guitar) then F THAT. i can handle basing something from a cheaper quality, but not that cheap
Quote by tenaciouswannaB
i mostly just want something to tinker with. i'm not really trying to buy a cheap guitar and put a huge chunk of money in it, but there's a chance that might be where i end up. as long as i'm happy with the end result it doesn't really matter if i use a cheap starter body to me. kinda like those idiots that take a pinto and make an 8 second 1/4 mile car. ugly as hell and you think "wtf, why dude" but they're just happy to be hauling ass.

i was eyeballing that one cause i love that silverburst finish and because empty strat bodies on ebay are going for more than that whole guitar. i'm hoping to eventually stumble across a 60 or 70 dollar deal for a whole strat. it doesn't have to be a fender i'm just looking for something with a skinnier and lighter neck.

probably be blasphemy to say this out loud but i hate my les paul, its big and cumbersome and has a really thick and wide neck.

I am not certain, But i would be willing to bet that the starcaster body is plywood. And about your les paul, i know alot of people are really picky about necks. It dont make a huge difference to me. I've played almost every shape neck there is, and i prefer some over others. but i can use anything. It may take me a few minutes to warm up to it, but then im good to go.
Last edited by IPlaySchecter at Dec 17, 2008,
plywood, what the hell?

necks don't hold you back cause you are a good player. eventually my mind will run out of excuses to make for sucking and will either buckle down and start absorbing or i'll give up on it

thanks for the input on it. that mofo can stay right there on ebay
Quote by tenaciouswannaB
plywood, what the hell?

necks don't hold you back cause you are a good player. eventually my mind will run out of excuses to make for sucking and will either buckle down and start absorbing or i'll give up on it

thanks for the input on it. that mofo can stay right there on ebay

Leave that one on Ebay! GOOD IDEA BUDDY! As you get more experience and stuff you will understand more. And like i said in previous posts. If you want an inexpensive good strat style guitar, The Yamaha Pacifica is your go to. They are inexpensive, sound and feel good, and they will last a while. Good luck!
That is a crack in the body itself below the neck pocket and probably runs right down under the neck plate thru the holes for the neck bolts. Truthfully it's not worht paying someone to fix it. Starcasters are sold at Target pretty cheap probably a lot less than getting yours repaired.

Edit: If you want to stick to a Strat and are low on funds you would be better getting a Squier they are a lot better actually

John
Last edited by johnro6659 at Dec 17, 2008,
That'll be a 160$ repair. Something similar happened to a guys 89 American, and he dropped it off at the shop I work at for the luthier. On a guitar like that, not worth it at all.

To fix it the best possibly. When a body cracks, it'll never be the same.
dude that happened to my les paul! but it sounds fine and plays fine, so i just said **** fixing it, plus it probly wouldnt be worth it
'Music is the best"
Zappa