Hi,
I am doing Rockshcool Guitar exams. i am doing grade 1.
I need to learn :
C major Scale
A natural minor Scale
E & A minor pentatonic scales
I need to learn these scales at 1 octave.
Thanks for reading
I did that exact exam, tabs for all of the scales you need should be in the book
Rockschool... that's the English thing isn't it? Give us (or me at least) a bit of info here dude. Good luck by the way

Sanity is not statistical
Yeah man it's over here in England, not sure about anywhere else though. I had the Grade 1, Grade 3 and Grade 5 books, but I only took the Grade 3 exam. Passed with distinction :P

Should go back to Grade 5 tbh.

Good luck man, just remember that they ask you to play the scales to a metronome so make sure you practice. The tempo should be written in the book. If you don't have a metronome there's online metronomes n stuff on the internet. Google it
Quote by Mohitrules
Hi,
I am doing Rockshcool Guitar exams. i am doing grade 1.
I need to learn :
C major Scale
A natural minor Scale
I need to learn these scales at 1 octave.
Thanks for reading

So? Learn them then.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Freepower
I hate to be rude, but what's the point to this thread?

Don't think there is one really, but I'm using it as an oppertunity to find out about Rockschool haha

So... what is it exactly? Like a music examination board? Or just a company that publishes books that they feel apply to todays rock musicians?

Quote by Low_End_Rocker
Don't think there is one really, but I'm using it as an oppertunity to find out about Rockschool haha

So... what is it exactly? Like a music examination board? Or just a company that publishes books that they feel apply to todays rock musicians?

It's an examination board for guitar, bass and drums. They let you do solo exams as well as band exams. It's pretty decent from my experience, the pieces are generally pretty good and fairly up to date with music nowadays. There's a crazy song at Grade 5 called Mud Pie, try YT'ing it?
Quote by james2112
It's an examination board for guitar, bass and drums. They let you do solo exams as well as band exams. It's pretty decent from my experience, the pieces are generally pretty good and fairly up to date with music nowadays. There's a crazy song at Grade 5 called Mud Pie, try YT'ing it?

Cheers for the info man. In Australian, we have the AMEB, Australian Musical Examination Board, which has both classical and contempary branches. I'm doing step two on bass at the moment. Sounds basic, but the steps go like this.

Step 1: Beginners

Step 2: Been playing for a few years

Step 3: VCE (Years 11 and 12) level

Step 4: University level.

Couple years, hopefully I'll be on step four. Not bad for a 15 year old being on step 2 though. But yes, rockschool seems similar to this

Rockschool are affiliated with Trinity College of Music (now Trinity Guildhall).
Very similar set up to Trinity, ABRSM and AMEB "classical" courses although AMEB in my opinion is a more difficult course (AMEB (guitar) has general higher standard but a very badly thought-out technical manual) than the English ones.

The Rockschool grade books come equiped with a CD with backing tracks with/without the principal instrument (they do guitar, bass and drum examinations , perhaps keys as well?). They are notated in standard and tab.

Similar examination rigmarole.
Last edited by R.Christie at Dec 17, 2008,
I was told a couple of years ago when I did like an out of hours guitar club type of thing that Grade 5 is the equivalent of an GCSE in guitar and Grade 8 (the highest) is the equivalent of an A Level.

For Rocker, GCSE's are what you study in school and A Levels in college (incase its different in Australia) :P

Nice one on the Step 2 man, keep it up
C major is C D E F G A B C
A minor is A B C D E F G A
E minor pentatonic is E G A B D E
A minor pentatonic is A C D E G A

What do you mean by one octave?
C major Scale
A natural minor Scale

Where can I get the tabs for these scales?
My Albums

TALKING LIKE A JERK EXCEPT
YOU ARE AN ACTUAL JERK
AND LIVING PROOF THAT

SOMETIMES FRIENDS ARE MEAN

last.fm
tumblr
Yeah I got my grade twos' in practical classical guitar with the AMEB two months ago. The Manual of Syllabus is horrible. I was going to do Grade 4 next year but I'll be in VCE next year.
Hey Low_End_Rocker you from Victoria like me aren't ya? because they don't call it VCE in NSW and every other state.
All I know about Rockschool is that they had a piece in GT last year - it was something like Bigbig, inspired by Santana, and it kicked ass :P
Quote by GoldenGuitar
Yeah I got my grade twos' in practical classical guitar with the AMEB two months ago. The Manual of Syllabus is horrible. I was going to do Grade 4 next year but I'll be in VCE next year.
Hey Low_End_Rocker you from Victoria like me aren't ya? because they don't call it VCE in NSW and every other state.

Hey, yeah I am man. Haha, yeah, I realised a lot of people wouldn't know what VCE is, so I chucked in the (year 11 and 12) for safe measure . How come you aren't going to be doing your Grade 4 classical guitar? Focusing hard on VCE?

And thanks to everyone for clearing all this up for me. Wasn't sure what it was beforehand

Quote by james2112
I was told a couple of years ago when I did like an out of hours guitar club type of thing that Grade 5 is the equivalent of an GCSE in guitar and Grade 8 (the highest) is the equivalent of an A Level.

For Rocker, GCSE's are what you study in school and A Levels in college (incase its different in Australia) :P

Nice one on the Step 2 man, keep it up

Do you mean a GCSE in music, performing on guitar?

Because although the recommended level for GCSE is grade four standard (on whatever instrument you want to peform) you can get away with less as long as you do well on the other areas (composition, listening), though you might not a get something like an A star.

And even the recommended standard for A level music is only grade 6.

Also, performing in GCSE and A level doesn't include stuff like aural tests (though it's kinda covered in the listening), theory or scales.
Quote by GoldenGuitar

I gave up using AMEB for pupils under grade 6 about 10 years ago. There are many very good things about the AMEB syllabus but that book lets it all down.
In particular the Grade 4 tech work is ludicrous; something like 10 (can't remember off-hand) different scales (mostly 3 octave) to be learnt using 8 different right hand formulas. Plus the usual arpeggios ligado exercises etc and a two page study in 3rds or 6ths (this study, to be memorised, is in addition to the study required in the lists). It is almost as if it is a particular hurdle set up before the pupil can progress further, bear in mind that 11 years is not an unusual age for a grade 4 candidate. By comparison the grade 8 tech work is almost easier.
The manual is a glorified scale book utterly devoid of imagination or any attempt to tie it into the repertoire or into the aural syllabus. It was written by Peter Lynch.
Last edited by R.Christie at Dec 18, 2008,