Guitar polish. Is it necessary?
I have an Epiphone SG G-400, which has a polyurathane finish. According to my father, it takes a hell of a lot to scratch polyurathane, and I'd be fine using wood polish/furniture polish on the body.
Is this true?

If not, what kinds of guitar polish are quick and don't leave residue?

On a related note: How does one go about conditioning the fretboard/neck?

Thanks in advance.
RAZZLEFRAZZLE
Last edited by SoWrongItsMatt at Dec 17, 2008,
I found an Instrument Care Kit on the internet.
Made by Fender and it has everything in, from polish to string wipes.
Very good value for money as well.
Ernie Ball Magic wipes maybe? I've heard great things about them just never used them myself yet.
I got some of that Dunlop 65 guitar polish.
Not so much for scratches but it gets all the fingermarks off and makes me guitar look sexay as hell.

It's worth it just for that lol.
Gear n Shizz:

Washburn X50 Pro
Epiphone Korina Explorer
Line 6 Flextone III 75w
dont use furniture polish as it will leave a residue. you can get specific guitar polish for about five bucks and it wont leave a residue. as for its necessity a good wipedown will keep it pretty clean but over time you will get a build up of dirt stuck on the surface like oxidation on car paint that the guitar polish will break down.
Naptha (lighter fluid)'s pretty good, just put a little on a rag and give it a quick wipedown. Gets rid of dirt and stuff better than anything else that i know.
Quote by Gregoric
I got some of that Dunlop 65 guitar polish.
Not so much for scratches but it gets all the fingermarks off and makes me guitar look sexay as hell.

It's worth it just for that lol.

That stuff works wonders and makes most guitars look sexy onstage!
GEAR
Guitars: LTD V401DX, USA Jackson King V (pre-fender), Knock off Jackson Kelly
Pick ups: EMGs, Seymour Duncans
Amp: Randall RG100SC w/ matching cab
Boss and Dunlop Electronics
Dunlop 65
Fender instrument cloth

/end thread.

These two work best. The EB polish wipes aren't that great IMO, they do the job but it's much easier using the Dunlop.
Quote by Necrafrost
*reported*

^^

i use a polishing cloth for cars (big car nut, have a mustang, you get it ) with car polish, cheap ass i know but it looks nice
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
I use nothing but Gibson guitar polish. I find it the best but there are plenty of cleaners/polishes out there. I have a friend who uses some orange citrus cleaner he just sprays some on a paper towel and cleans his guitar with it. He has been doing it for years and it's never damaged the surface of his guitars.

John
Quote by conor1148
i use a polishing cloth for cars (big car nut, have a mustang, you get it ) with car polish, cheap ass i know but it looks nice

I've used car polish, Dunlop 65 & something called Axewax(I think that's it's name). They all work pretty good. I've used furniture polish and wasn't as good.
Imagination is more important than knowledge...
It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education.
- Albert Einstein -
Last edited by Bertallica at Dec 19, 2008,
Can I ask why too? Are you Polish?
I'm awfully confused.

To answer the question, polish is nice but not necessary, especially on a poly guitar.
Conditioning the fretboard is more important, you usually want two different agents there, one cleaning solution and one conditioning. I use the dunlop stuff, it works well.