My solos suck and are really bland, what kind of things should I be working on to spice them up like:

1. Working on Phrasing
2. Licks

Etc.

Please include examples or hyperlinks to other sites.

Thanks.
Ibanez RG350DX
Line 6 Spider III
Cubase SX3
Phrasing, and add bends, vibrato, and/or slides.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by Shinozoku
Phrasing, and add bends, vibrato, and/or slides.

i think my problem is my phrasing, know any good exercises or lessons/videos?
Ibanez RG350DX
Line 6 Spider III
Cubase SX3
phrasing is prolly the biggest one, listen to alot of the blues guys (even if blues isn't really your thing) cuz most of them had really good phrasing.
My Gear:
Fender Stratocaster Deluxe HSS
Hagstrom HIIN
Crate Palomino V32H w/ matching cab.
Roland Cube 60
Roland Micro Cube
BOSS ME-20
Digitech Bad Monkey
Art and Lutherie acoustic
I dont know what music you play but phrasing, vibrato and bending are good techniques. If you play classic rock like ZZ Top, Deep Purple etc choppy doublestops and theres this thing that is like a unison bend but different. Try this out with distortion.

E|---------------------------------------------------------------------------|
B|--------8-----------------------------------------------------------------|
G|--------7b----------------------------------------------------------------|
D|---------------------------------------------------------------------------|
A|---------------------------------------------------------------------------|
E|---------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Its really simple and is a good way to add some "bite" to a boring solo. Of course you can do this anywhere on the board.
Quote by goest
^Absolute. Uncompromising. 100% pure, fresh. Solid. Gold.

Quote by WCPhils
That might be my favorite shoop I have ever seen on here.

Quote by KnightBand
Yes! ****ing Yes! YOU LEGEND!!!
In my opinion, the most important parts of a solo are the opening and the end. So if I know I'm going to have to solo over a particular section of a song, I sit down and spend some time thinking of the best way to start the solo to make an impact and "wake up" the audience if you like. Then I'll bring in my usual licks and phrases and stuff and write a good powerful ending for it.

Also, listen to & learn some eric clapton for phrasing. He is probably one of the best, as he usually plays just simple stuff, but his phrasing is so good that it is always interesting.
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
Look up some videos by guys like Marty Friedman on youtube, and Kristofer Dahl here on UG. You should find plenty of help here in the lessons section. Actually, just go to the lessons area and search "phrasing".

EDIT: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/search.php?s=phrasing&w=lessons
Here's what can be found on UG so far.

EDIT2: http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/Kristofer+Dahl/contributions/tv/
Kristofer's channel. He's a shred guitarist, of course, so it might not be your style, but you can incorporate what you learn there to your own style.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Last edited by Shinozoku at Dec 17, 2008,
If you normally play over chords, stop for a while. Really concentrate on melody and phrasing, etc. Find licks (Although I don't condone that, I believe you should create your own, but whatever) and practice them until they are second nature. Throw them into your solos once in a while.
Harmonics spice it up. Also some licks, and maybe a motif for the solos.
May the Force be with You.
Carmel is hawt
One of the best ways to improve your own improvising and soloing skills is to learn solos by your favorate artisists note for note untill you can nail them. This will increase your chops and give you a feel of good phrasing.

It will help you double if you do a little extra effort and analise the solo.
Answer some questions about solos you like

- What key is the song in/ Whats the chord progression?

-What scales/notes does the artist seem so be targeting.

- Is he hitting a certain note at the end of a run with vibrato that sounds awsome? If so what is the note and what is its relation to the key in terms of intervals.?

Basically if you think about these types of questions as you learn other peoples songs youll take more than just learning some licks. Then when you need to make something up youll have tons of ideas to expirament with in improv and composing.
I always want to know why a solo sounds so good if i like it. The more effort and thought you put into learning the more youll be able to bring out in your own improve.
Quote by /-\liceNChains
One of the best ways to improve your own improvising and soloing skills is to learn solos by your favorate artisists note for note untill you can nail them. This will increase your chops and give you a feel of good phrasing.

It will help you double if you do a little extra effort and analise the solo.
Answer some questions about solos you like

- What key is the song in/ Whats the chord progression?

-What scales/notes does the artist seem so be targeting.

- Is he hitting a certain note at the end of a run with vibrato that sounds awsome? If so what is the note and what is its relation to the key in terms of intervals.?

Basically if you think about these types of questions as you learn other peoples songs youll take more than just learning some licks. Then when you need to make something up youll have tons of ideas to expirament with in improv and composing.
I always want to know why a solo sounds so good if i like it. The more effort and thought you put into learning the more youll be able to bring out in your own improve.

cheers
Ibanez RG350DX
Line 6 Spider III
Cubase SX3
Phrasing is such a hard thing to describe, but like other people have mentioned before, just watch Melodic Control.

If you need it, PM me and I'll gladly send it to you