Page 1 of 3
I think he's a great melodist and overall guitarist, but can he alternate pick notes fast, in the style of Yngwie and other shredders? If anybody knows please post. Everytime I've heard him play fast, its always been with hammer ons and pull offs, which is like cheating, because even someone who can't play guitar can do that.
Quote by afrika18
I think he's a great melodist and overall guitarist, but can he alternate pick notes fast, in the style of Yngwie and other shredders? If anybody knows please post. Everytime I've heard him play fast, its always been with hammer ons and pull offs, which is like cheating, because even someone who can't play guitar can do that.

no they can't..
STEAM: beachhhhhhhh

Quote by cornmancer
Please daddy, just for one hour.
Legato is not cheating. It adds more fluidity to the runs you're playing.
He can reach about 13 NPS at his fastest, but who cares?
Legato is his forte, look at Shawn Lane or Paul Gilbert if you want alternate picking speed.
Quote by afrika18
Everytime I've heard him play fast, its always been with hammer ons and pull offs, which is like cheating, because even someone who can't play guitar can do that.

Eh? What are you on about. I've been playing for a few months now and my legato runs are far from perfect, so that's just untrue. People who don't play guitar won't be able to do anything, forget hammerons/pulloffs. All the buddies I have that I have shown guitar too and they just felt the need to try it out (even though they don't play) couldn't even do a simple chromatic run at like 30 beats per minute.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
anyways...

Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus-Top, SH-2 and SH-5
Ibanez GRX20
Baron Acoustic
Peavey Valveking 112
Roland Cube 15
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
Dunlop GCB-95 Crybaby
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Boss PH-3 Phase Shifter
Boss BF-3 Flanger
You totally misunderstood legato. Notes played legato sound more smooth in the first place. The fact that it is easier is just a side-issue.

And to answer your question: Yes he can, maybe a little less fast as Yngwie but stil fast as hell.
I sold my soul for Rock 'n' Roll

Quote by CSguitarvocal
you've just proven that you're the most ignorant fuck on this website...

Thank you
Quote by darknessfan
Whenever I sit down to play guitar, I always need to pee in like 3 minutes. Is this weird?

Owned
legato is harder to do well i find.
probably one of the most retarded things ive read on this site.
Legato is cheating? anyone who doesn't play guitar can do it? *Shakes head and walks off
Aliadiere - sadly has more syllables than goals this season."
Setanta commentator during Newcastle-Middlesbrough. .
hahahah cheating? what? and it aint easy...it takes very good left hand strength and fluidity to keep those notes sounding so good...and im sure satriani can alternate pick just fine, his style is just legato more often than not
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"
You just try doing a good fluid legato run without having to mute the rest of the strings with your other hand.
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club
Hmmmm, i guess someone has NOT heard enough of Satch...
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
if there was a retarded award ceremony, im sure youd win
"For whiter teeth......try a F*CKING toothbrush!"
Legato is harder to play clean imo. It's so much easier to get rid of unwanted string noise alternate picking. The TS argument is retarded.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
Quote by lead_zeppelin
You totally misunderstood legato. Notes played legato sound more smooth in the first place. The fact that it is easier is just a side-issue.

Except, it's NOT easier. Anybody who brands one easier than the other is a moron, they're each difficult in their own way. Depending on which of your hands is more developed, you might find one easier, but don't make such a sweeping generalisation.

Satch plays like that for fluidity; picking every note can sound messy, particularly in a purely instrumental context.
****ing hell, it's a matter of preference, like half of everything on this bloody forum.

I find legato easier.

Some find alternate picking easier.
Haha

So you can play legato like Satch? Someone who doesn't play guitar could do legato like Satch?

You = Epic Fail

If Satriani wanted to, I'm pretty sure he could alternate pick EXTREMELY quick.
One word...

LOL
Gear n Shizz:

Washburn X50 Pro
Epiphone Korina Explorer
Line 6 Flextone III 75w
personally i think hammeron/pulloffs might be easier to do fast, but its much harder to do clean and well.
and im very sure satch can do anything well considering hes was a teacher to a whole bunch of metal guitarists.
Satch has a few songs (I think) in which he uses fast alternate picking, also there's songs where he uses legato at a speed that yngwie malmsteen would get nightmares from it
How the hell is making a legato run sound smooth easier than alternate picking? This is the most retarded thing i've read in a long time.
Legato is actually one of the hardest things I've been working on. You have to have your fingers in just the right positions, plus having good picking technique.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
I'm sure he can. He's obviously not the kind of person that would be limited to pure legato. Most virtuosos are able to do both.

EDIT: Legato is nowhere near cheating.
Last edited by MRavioli at Dec 17, 2008,
Quote by zackmuise
if there was a retarded award ceremony, im sure youd win

we should install one on UG

and satriani's legato is among the hardest out there. surfing with the alien second solo? its almost easier to do picking every note

btw does anyone else think the 8-3-8-3 pulloffs are a bitch? O_o
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
The White Strat w/Dimebucker
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Ebony
Fender Telecaster Apple Red
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
hmmm.... wanna know who alternate picks fast?
Kirk Hammett
hmmm..... wanna know who taught Kirk Hammett
Joe Satriani.

also, dont diss satch, or satch-bot will destroy your soul... who cares if he's only 6" tall
Quote by bornfidelity
we should install one on UG

and satriani's legato is among the hardest out there. surfing with the alien second solo? its almost easier to do picking every note

btw does anyone else think the 8-3-8-3 pulloffs are a bitch? O_o

8-3? Nah. Surely you can manage 7-3?

Joe Satriani is a very competent player, and he is very capable of alternate picking at high speeds. His legato is most likely better than his alternate picking, but he's a great all rounder, a bonefide virtuoso.

As for Joe's legato being some of the hardest out there? I have to disagree. I personally think that the legato styles of Shawn Lane, Brett Garsed and Allan Holdsworth are all much, much more difficult to copy.

Hands down, Holdsworth has the best legato technique I've ever come across. Playing a Holdsworth solo is difficult at any speed, never mind the lightning fast speeds he can manage.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
Quote by Killedelphia19
hmmm.... wanna know who alternate picks fast?
Kirk Hammett
hmmm..... wanna know who taught Kirk Hammett
Joe Satriani.

With that kind of logic you almost trump the topic starter on the idiocy factor.
Steinberger GU/Spirit w/ Moses Graphite neck, EMG 81-85
"Fireball" Pacer/RG hybrid

Furman Power Conditioner
Axe-Fx Standard
ART SLA-1
Yamaha S112V
Peak FCB4N
Quote by Mo Jiggity
With that kind of logic you almost trump the topic starter on the idiocy factor.

How so?
Quote by Orbit91
How so?

-_-. Just because Kirk Hammet can do staccato speed pick runs fast does not necessarily mean that his former teacher can. Granted Satriani can alternate pick well, but he understands that not every application calls for such technique.

I guess what I'm saying is although the poster is right, it's for the wrong reasons. The student does not always equal the teacher, in terms of both skill and style.

Furman Power Conditioner
Axe-Fx Standard
ART SLA-1
Yamaha S112V
Peak FCB4N
Quote by Mo Jiggity
-_-. Just because Kirk Hammet can do staccato speed pick runs fast does not necessarily mean that his former teacher can. Granted Satriani can alternate pick well, but he understands that not every application calls for such technique.

I guess what I'm saying is although the poster is right, it's for the wrong reasons. The student does not always equal the teacher, in terms of both skill and style.

Wanna know who sucks................Kirk Hammet
Wanna know who is awesome.................................Not Kirk Hammet

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
Quote by Necrophagist777
Wanna know who sucks................Kirk Hammet
Wanna know who is awesome.................................Not Kirk Hammet

Please, do not misinterpret me... I was NOT glorifying Kirk Hammet in ANY way shape or form xD

Furman Power Conditioner
Axe-Fx Standard
ART SLA-1
Yamaha S112V
Peak FCB4N
Quote by Mo Jiggity

That's quite true.

Personally, I love Kirk, and I think he's the best shredder in the World.
His tone beats ANYTHING I've ever seen, and his technique is flawless.

R.I.P Dimebag.
Quote by Orbit91
That's quite true.

Personally, I love Kirk, and I think he's the best shredder in the World.
His tone beats ANYTHING I've ever seen, and his technique is flawless.

R.I.P Dimebag.

You must be kidding?

If WAH-WAAAAA-WOOO-WAH is your idea of tone, then yes he has great tone.

THIS IS GREAT TONE:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38t9akRJQ54

Not kirk hammett.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
Page 1 of 3