i have no experience with valve amps and have been playing through an MG50 for the past 2 years including gigs.

my new tsl100 head arrived today which i got second hand for 380 quid ($600-650 ish) and on first impresssion the sound is far worse than my MG50.

the sustain is bad and the distortion weak but im presuming this is because it is at such a low (bedroom) volume.

so im tempted to sell this for a MG100HDFX as i got the almost perfect tone from my MG50, is that a terribe desicion i would regret???

and please dont be bias, i KNOW its an MG but my mg50 for whatever reason sounds awesome.
Well i always prefered the DSL to the TSL, but its still not a bad amp.. far superior to an MG, maybe you suck at EQing? have a fiddle with it, its good enough for alot of professionials
My Gear

Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Marshall DSL 50 with 1960A
Whatever works for you, but for the love of all things holy please try some other amps...
Maybe it is damaged or there is a problem if the sound is bad, you did get second hand after all. If it sounds worse than an MG there must be something wrong somewhere.
please try some other amps.. why did you pick the tsl in the first place?

for your next amp, go tube.

EDIT: did you check the tubes?
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
Maybe.... Well what's more important, sounding good at gigs or by yourself?
:/

i know next to nothing about tubes, what do i check for?
The TSL will sound better cranked for sure, but should not sound bad at lower volumes. Try putting all the knobs at 12 o clock except for your volume and gain, adjust those however it sounds good and work from there. If it sounds really bad, you may need to replace the tubes. You could have a bad preamp tube, or just plain old tubes. I would get the amp serviced if you are experiencing worse sound than an MG series.
Look for any tubes that look like they exploded, they would probably be black instead of clear, or just the tops black. Turn on the amp and look at the tubes to see if there are any that are not lighting up.
what speakers are using?

this make a gigantic difference, my buddy had a tsl and he played i through ****ty speakers, it it sounded like total crap. when i hooked it up to my 2x12 cab (filled with celestion v30 and g12h30). it was like a whole new amp, it actually sounded good

...but regardless i still think the DSL and TSL line of amps are mediocre at best

shoulda went with laney..
Quote by TheProducer
...I'm a pussy...
Are you using your MG cab,if so then that would explain everything
Ibanez RGA 8 (Dimarzio D Activator 8)->Rocktron Hush->Engl E530 preamp->Marshall 9200 poweramp->Marshall 4x12 closed back cab w/ G12t75's
the second time i turned the amp on and played it it sounded a lot better for whatever reason although the gain is still slighly lacking which im blaming on the volume the tone is really nice.

also for the guy who asked im using a marshall 4x12 (not a 1960) with vintage 30s in.

cheers guys
That cab could be a reason it sounds weak. If it's not a 1960, then its either an MG, MC or AVT cab, all of which suck.

You cannot write off an amp until you play it through a GOOD cabinet.
Likely the cabinet...I'd buy another one or mod the one you have. There are vids about how to seal it up, make better connections, swap speakers, etc...will be cheaper than buying a new one.
I'd say a load of bollocks to blame the cab, this in my experience makes small difference (prominent though yes). Experiencing changing from a spider 4x12 to a 2x12 with Celestion G12's.

Well, turn it up loud... see if it sounds bad still.
Even with the volume on 1, my DSL sounds better than my old MG.
Quote by DannnUK
I'd say a load of bollocks to blame the cab, this in my experience makes small difference (prominent though yes). Experiencing changing from a spider 4x12 to a 2x12 with Celestion G12's.

Well, turn it up loud... see if it sounds bad still.
Even with the volume on 1, my DSL sounds better than my old MG.

You've got to be kidding about the cabinet. Anyone with ears can hear a clear difference between a good 4x12 with v30s and a MG 4x12 with v30s. Through my old AVT cabinet, my JTM45 sounds boomy, harsh and just bad overall. It literally sounded worse than my AVT50. Through my 1960 cabinet, even with **** speakers (Celestion g12t-75, ugh...), the low end is tighter, it doesn't sound boomy, and it just sounds much better overall. It actually sounds like a real amp.
the tsl doesn't really lack on the gain. So it may just be a problem either tubes or speaker or you just don't know a damn thing.

but this makes sense

you did say you have no experience with valve amps
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Tribute (Bare Knuckle Nailbombs)
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul (Seymour Duncan Pegasus and Sentinent)
-Ibanez S470 (Dimarzio D-sonic and Humbucker from Hell)
-PRS SE Custom (Guitarforce Black Diamond and Lord of the Blues)

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
EVH 5150III EL-34 50w
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Boss Super Chorus
Bogner Uberschall
Ibanez DE7 Delay
Electro-Harmonix Power Booster
Fender PT100 Pedal Tuner

Strings: