Can you get pure kick ass angry metal tones out of a fender hot rod deluxe? How?

And I would like to know from you guys what to look out for when buying a used valve amp. Thanks
no, not really.

The best thing is to try before you buy, check all the functions of the amp, knobs, etc. Play it at volume if you can for a bit of time so you can see how it sounds once it's warmed up. Use your guitar, etc...
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Cause I can get an awesome deal on one, almost to good to refuse but I need metal tones aswell as I play metal, blues, hard rock, old metal, alternative rock etc. So not even with tube screamers or distortion pedals with active pick ups?
Ok, It was just a really good deal. I'm now also looking at a used Marshall JCM2000 DSL401 which is also a good deal. If I have to buy new I'm going for the Randall RG50
I would like to expand on my last post; no you can't, unless you're willing to use the clean channel and just use a distortion pedal - and a lot of metal guitarists just wont do this. The amp's distortion will not cut it.

I would recommend not getting this amp unless you play clean 80% of the time. I just wouldn't recommend this amp at all, I've had 3 separate examples and played on a friend's, and they all had severe reliability issues and farted out when played at any kind of volume. They just aren't good quality.

EDIT: regarding the jcm2000, I saw a guy playing a gibson les paul through one at a show (at very high volumes) and it was harsh, undefined and basically the kind of tone that fatigued my ears and made me want to leave. In contrast, the next band's guitarist played an sg through a 6505 and it sounded really fantastic - so much deeper, less fuzzy and annoying. Both were at similar levels of gain but the 6505 really handled it so much better.
Last edited by shoolocomous at Dec 17, 2008,
No, and don't get a Valveking either. If you want metal, you don't want either of these amps.
Quote by shoolocomous
I would recommend not getting this amp unless you play clean 80% of the time. I just wouldn't recommend this amp at all, I've had 3 separate examples and played on a friend's, and they all had severe reliability issues and farted out when played at any kind of volume. They just aren't good quality.

You may have 3 seperate examples but my opinion is that these amps ARE well made and I don't think I've heard of any issues with this amp quality wise.

Randall would be a good choice but I've never played one.
I play everything from classic rock to metal. Bands I'm in to includes Dream Theater, In Flames, Dark Tranquillity, Arch Enemy, Led Zeppelin, Atreyu, Bullet for my Valentine, Black Label Society and Avenged Sevenfold. The HotRod Deluxe (or any other fender for that matter) wouldn't have been an option if it wasn't for this one deal.

My budget is at top end a Marshall JCM DSL401's price (can't convert currencies cause even efter converting it, it's more expensive due to importing costs etc.)

I don't live in the U.S. so none and I currently don't gig but might in the future. Want something that can be used at bedroom levels

I haven't upgraded my amp since I started so I still play through a Roland Cube 15. I play Ibanez SA160 soon to upgrade the bridge H to something that's active. Unfortunately can only get either EMG or DiMarzio since we don't get Seymore Duncan here anymore.
Last edited by WantzChas at Dec 17, 2008,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I don't think I've heard of any issues with this amp quality wise.

well now you have . . . even the amp's unofficial fan site acknowledges that they have a whole range of problems that need fixing before they're any good.

the whole quality issue really didn't occur to me until i traded a broken one in (yes, straight swap) for an orange. After the hot rod, the quality of the orange was quite evident.
I was thinking of the Engl amps as well, but I don't think you get them over here. So sadly I'm going to have to pay the NEW prices
I play metal with my deville but I use a Boss metal zone, best tone Ive ever heard for $500 essentially. Go for it and get a good distortion pedal, you wont regret it.
Schecter C-1 Classic
LTD EC-1000
Fender American FSR Mahog. Chambered Tele 60th
Fender Mexican Strat SD Hot Rails Br/Ne
Fender Hot Rod Deville 4x10
Boss DD-6
Boss Metal Zone
No get the Engl Thunder 50,a bit more expensive but jesus christ it has some of the best metal distortions I've ever heard from an amp in that price range.

EDIT: oops sorry didn't know you allready considered them.
Ibanez RGA 8 (Dimarzio D Activator 8)->Rocktron Hush->Engl E530 preamp->Marshall 9200 poweramp->Marshall 4x12 closed back cab w/ G12t75's
The Engl amp line is so awesome, but sadly if it would be available in South Africa, it would be dead expensive. I won't ever buy a Line 6. Sorry, but it doesn't crack it and don't want a modelling amp.
The Randall RG50TC is probably your best bet.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
You can, yes, but it'd be easier to get an amp made for it

I like the Randall idea
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
I've owned two hot rod deluxe and they are great amps, but you'll need a pedal to get a decent metal tone from them. Even the "hot rod" channel's overdrive is SoundGarden territory at most. I used a boss ds-1 with my hrd whenever I played heavier stuff like metallica and so on. With the pedal it sounded awesome.
I saw some demo's on YouTube and was impressed with the Randall. Initially I was going to get a Peavey Valveking 112 but since then my budget went up a bit. Though the Valveking is an awesome amp for the price, the RG50 is an even more awesome amp for its price.
I thought the Randall was more modern voiced than the VK. Tighter on it's own without adding any pedals. Both are good amps though imo.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
^I agree. More gain, better voiced for your style of music.

Quote by WantzChas
The Engl amp line is so awesome, but sadly if it would be available in South Africa, it would be dead expensive. I won't ever buy a Line 6. Sorry, but it doesn't crack it and don't want a modelling amp.

That's a BIG bandwagon you're jumping on there. Flextones and Vettas are MILES above Spiders. Also, a lot of the Modulation effects that Line 6 offers, such as their delay and reverb, are REALLY good, and you'll find them on many pedalboards, including Omar Rodrigues Lopez of the Mars Volta and even Joe Perry of Aerosmith.
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe + nothing = crap metal, amazing cleans

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe + good distortion = good metal, still amazing cleans

if you want great metal/modern OD go with another amp. but i have found that this amp will do my instrumental, insanely overdriven tones just fine
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
for future reference, no fenders can get that "angry metal tone" your looking for. [cept maybe hsh strat?]
Quote by HeretiK538
Totally awesome, I love you.

Have my children.