OK, so I am a self taught guitarist, so anything and everything I learn about Music Theory comes from books or websites. For the longest time I have just been using the first Minor Pentatonic scale pattern (because I was too lazy to look up the other 4) but the other day I realized that only playing one pattern is very limiting Melody wise. Now, I'm aware of the 5 positions of the Major Pentatonic scale, so I was very confused when I found that the 2-5 pattern of the Minor are the same as the 1-4 pattern of the Major Pentatonic. Now, I realize that it's just the pattern that is the same, not the notes, but I still don't understand why the same interval pattern can be both Minor and Major. Can someone please help me?
Tonight, we stagger out from the basement...

I'm sick of not having the courage to be an absolute nobody.

...Or fall to our deaths from above
It all depends on where the root note is...

See, the intervals for Major are:

W-W-H-W-W-W-H

and for minor:

W-H-W-W-H-W-W

If you notice, they're the same intervals, it just depends on where you start. That's how it works.

(Start at the sixth note on the Major scale, and then wrap back to the beginning. You'll notice it's the same as the minor one.)
Last edited by Four Symbols at Dec 17, 2008,
If you take a Major key, such as A Major, and go down 3 1/2 steps (3 frets) and use a minor scale, it's really the A major scale, as F# is the relative minor of A major. Patterns work because of the structure of the scales and keys, the notes are completely different, but the patterns are there because of the way our music is constructed.

That interval pattern is a relative minor scale to a major scale. They are pretty much identical, but each will be used differently depending on the melody and the key. Musical themes used in A major are going to be different than F# minor, despite the fact that the scales are the same.
OK, thank you. This had me really confused.
Tonight, we stagger out from the basement...

I'm sick of not having the courage to be an absolute nobody.

...Or fall to our deaths from above
Quote by Bamitchell
OK, so I am a self taught guitarist, so anything and everything I learn about Music Theory comes from books or websites. For the longest time I have just been using the first Minor Pentatonic scale pattern (because I was too lazy to look up the other 4) but the other day I realized that only playing one pattern is very limiting Melody wise. Now, I'm aware of the 5 positions of the Major Pentatonic scale, so I was very confused when I found that the 2-5 pattern of the Minor are the same as the 1-4 pattern of the Major Pentatonic. Now, I realize that it's just the pattern that is the same, not the notes, but I still don't understand why the same interval pattern can be both Minor and Major. Can someone please help me?

You need to learn the notes and intervals scales contain as well as the patterns to understand this, to be honest the pattern is the least important bit of information with regards to a scale.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com