Page 1 of 2
My bass player is very frustrating to me. First, let me give you some background:
He's been my best friend all through school. He got into music way before me
He started off playing drums, stuck to that for a very, very short time.
Then, he decided to play guitar, he went and spent $150 on a cheapy and quit within a year.
Then, decided he would play bass. the problem is that whenever I want to play something that he doesn't know, It feels like he doesn't want to learn it. Total he has been playing bass for 2-2 and a half years, Ive been playing 8 months and i feel like I have completely surpast him. More recently(in the last 2 months) It seems like he is wanting to switch back to guitar. Everytime I ask him to bring his bass he gives me an excuse, Anywhere from, "my hands hurt" to "My bass is shorting out" and several other gear related problems. I offer to help him fix it, it's just more excuses.
Is it time to just move on? Is it time to find a new bass player? Is it time to find a new best friend?
Quote by 6_months_N
My bass player is very frustrating to me. First, let me give you some background:
He's been my best friend all through school. He got into music way before me
He started off playing drums, stuck to that for a very, very short time.
Then, he decided to play guitar, he went and spent $150 on a cheapy and quit within a year.
Then, decided he would play bass. the problem is that whenever I want to play something that he doesn't know, It feels like he doesn't want to learn it. Total he has been playing bass for 2-2 and a half years, Ive been playing 8 months and i feel like I have completely surpast him. More recently(in the last 2 months) It seems like he is wanting to switch back to guitar. Everytime I ask him to bring his bass he gives me an excuse, Anywhere from, "my hands hurt" to "My bass is shorting out" and several other gear related problems. I offer to help him fix it, it's just more excuses.
Is it time to just move on? Is it time to find a new bass player? Is it time to find a new best friend?

New bass player: Yes
New best friend: No
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
new bass player, he obviousy isnt dedicated at all
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
I'd say find a new bass player but handle it delicately. It's not gonna be easy though, we don't exactly grow on trees.
he likes the idea of being a musician.

not being one.

make him sing or something.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I just feel like I can't waste anymore time being around him, I was hoping my dedication would rub off on him, but his depression is rubbing off on me. Even if I try to show him something that he should probaly learn, he will act like he doesn't care or be preoccupied by mindless notes strung together.
Quote by 6_months_N
I just feel like I can't waste anymore time being around him, I was hoping my dedication would rub off on him, but his depression is rubbing off on me. Even if I try to show him something that he should probaly learn, he will act like he doesn't care or be preoccupied by mindless notes strung together.

he was not meant for bass.

tell him politely you want to get a different bass player.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by Mutant Corn
Bring him to UG, man. We'll sort him out.

Yep we sure will! Nah just tell him if he don't sort himself out then you gonna have to find some1 else. He'll be pissed at first but he'll get over it
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Help Bunny gain world domination by copying and pasting him in your sig or webpage.

ANDY!!!
Quote by Mutant Corn

Indeed we will.
Another problem is that he thinks you need a five or a six string to play metal and because of his lack of employment he can't afford one. Is that true, Do you need a five or a six string to play metal?
he sounds like he may be going through a rough time in his life and coping with depression and all you're talking about is BASS! my god man, you are a terrible friend.
Quote by Mutant Corn

you don't send your bass player to UG to be kicked out of your band, thats like having a hose installed in your toilet so you don't have to wipe.

EDIT: about the metal, tell him to look up Billy Sheehan.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by marko'd
he sounds like he may be going through a rough time in his life and coping with depression and all you're talking about is BASS! my god man, you are a terrible friend.

Probaly but it's just because I'm so frustrated with him! Trust me I do care about him and what he is going through. But I shouldn't because he doesn't care about me or my life. If he could have it his way, we would just play GTA4
That's like my brother, I say that he shall learn a song and he listens to it, think its awesome, looks on the tabs and then he just don't want to. He thinks it's to hard (even thought he doesn't say that loud). He's pretty skilled but if he can't play it the first time he won't spend time learning it... Guys like them just is a waste of time and you really should kick him out from the band.
Quote by 6_months_N

Probaly but it's just because I'm so frustrated with him! Trust me I do care about him and what he is going through. But I shouldn't because he doesn't care about me or my life. If he could have it his way, we would just play GTA4

then that's what you do with him. jam with somebody who wants to jam.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

i think marko'd is the bass player in question
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
New bass player: Maybe.
Sit this guy down and talk! Tell him if he's serious about bass, he better show it, if not, don't show up to next practice!
But mind you, bassists don't come along much.

New best friend: Nah.
Don't let a band come between you guys.
Quote by Insanitydenied
I try to be the quiet musician type, but there's too much to say.

OF THE BASS MILITIA - PM Nutter_101 to join

FUCK PARAMORE.

HOT LESBIANS

Centered, Bitch.

Yes, I'm only 14. So?
Quote by the humanity
you don't send your bass player to UG to be kicked out of your band, thats like having a hose installed in your toilet so you don't have to wipe.

EDIT: about the metal, tell him to look up Billy Sheehan.

I like than analogy
I meant bring him here so we can help him get better....of course he kind of sounds like the type that would be sucked into the Pit.

And yeah, Billt Sheehan does awesome stuff with a four-banger, and he's not the only one. Metallica might be his thing.
Nope, no sig here.
Quote by 6_months_N
Another problem is that he thinks you need a five or a six string to play metal and because of his lack of employment he can't afford one. Is that true, Do you need a five or a six string to play metal?

tell him to get set himself on fire if he really thinks that.

NO you don't need a 5 or 6 string to play metal. i play alot of metal and i'm on a 4 string. here are my 2 good reasons to get more strings.

1.)economy ( more frets and range in one spot= easier to play more technical and ranged licks with less movement)

2.) Range. (with a B/c string you have a lower range/higher range, which in alot of cases is good for some metal songs (especialy tech. and math metal) but can easily be solved by getting thicker gage strings.)

and from the sound of your bassist he's not skilled enough to play anything that needs that kind of range.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Boss pedals drain power like a girlfriend drains your bank account.

GEAR:
4 string warwick corvette $$ BO

acustic 200 head & 410 cab
I had the same problem with my "guitarist" best friend....

Basicly you have accept the fact the fact that he is a casual muscian. You love playing, he likes fooling around occasionally and there's nothing wrong with that. Just find some other serious people to jam with.

I'm sure that you and friend having different tastes about other things hasn't ended your friendship, so niether should this.
Thanks, All of You! I think I will talk to him tonight and ask him straight up if this is what he wants to do, cuz I don't have time to waste. I will tell him if he is serious then he should show it, and if he doesn't I will move on.
Last edited by 6_months_N at Dec 17, 2008,
I don't want to loose him as a friend but I have a very hectic schedule and the only time i really find to have friends, is if I call it Band Practice.
Honestly, I've noticed most of my friends who play guitar just do it for a hobby. To me, it's the only thing in life that I'm mildly good at, so I'm not letting it go. But, what sucks is one of my friends keeps trying to tell himself that he's a serious musician when he....just...isn't...

Don't worry, it shouldn't come between your friendship if you tell him you want to jam with others. If it does...well..his loss...
Something needs to spark his interest.

Show him Cliff em all. It worked for me.
This is my Signature.
Yes to new bass player.

But if you think something like this is reason to lose a friend, I think the bass player needs a new friend.
Call Me Joe
Quote by wesleyisgay
IF MATT DAMON DIES TOMMAROW

FUK

Communist Mormon of 2.21.19.8

Caffeine Head of The Bass Militia
Quote by aaciseric
I'd say find a new bass player but handle it delicately. It's not gonna be easy though, we don't exactly grow on trees.

Unless you're an Ent.

Man, that would rule.
GHOST BLOWJOB!
WHOOO! WOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Quote by Underjoggle
Unless you're an Ent.

Man, that would rule.

You need help.

I would echo the previous statements, a new bassist may be in order. In fact, that may be enough that he will be inspired to improve and play seriously. But maybe not. And this is a fact you need to accept.
I have:
Acoustic B200H+B115 cab, Schecter Stiletto Custom 4, Rondo Fretless, Boss EQ-7.

Some men just want to watch the world burn. And they work at Behringer.
hopefully you dont make him play mindless music where the bass plays rootnotes the entire time. cause thats how i feel when we play songs like that. other than that. i say find a new bassiest.
blemonese of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join
Quote by camhussynec
Its like getting anal for the first time. It hurts like hell but eventully ull get used to it and itll feel fine

Thanks for nothing
^ toshers may be onto something, what kinda basslines have you made for him?
Quote by samskii
You need help.

you need imagination.

an ent with a bunch of little green jacos on it would rock.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by matosh.lee
hopefully you dont make him play mindless music where the bass plays rootnotes the entire time. cause thats how i feel when we play songs like that. other than that. i say find a new bassiest.

I will show him what I'm doing and tell him the progression and pretty much leave it open to him, sometimes, I do just want him to play root notes at first to try to get us on the same page, But I'm really a laid back guy, I don't force anyone to do anything, and none of the riffs and songs I'm working on have a bass line thats set in stone. All he would have to do is pay attention to what I'm doing and create what he wants to do off of it. and when it happens the other way, and he has a bass line even if it's not the best or what I'm looking for, i will still play to it and come up with a riff or a part of solo. I am really a good friend to him, if you knew the guy you would understand more.
okay. understand then. some people just dont grasp music as well as others. the starter bass player for my friends band was playing for almost a month before me and i played for a week and got better than him.

just tell him the straight up truth. be real about it. if he really doesnt care that much it should phase him to much.
blemonese of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join
Quote by camhussynec
Its like getting anal for the first time. It hurts like hell but eventully ull get used to it and itll feel fine

Thanks for nothing
Quote by the humanity

you need imagination.

an ent with a bunch of little green jacos on it would rock.

I don't see how that would work, seeing as guitars are made from wood...
I have:
Acoustic B200H+B115 cab, Schecter Stiletto Custom 4, Rondo Fretless, Boss EQ-7.

Some men just want to watch the world burn. And they work at Behringer.
Quote by samskii
I don't see how that would work, seeing as guitars are made from wood...

magic, my man.

like fairies and dragons and lucky charm cereal.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

if this guy is commited to playn in ur band he'll learn the notes. either that or hes lazy
Try to take him on the path of least resistance(take him right into songs he may kind of already know, or really likes). Once he has those songs under his hands it's possible he'll be eager to learn some more.
Quote by Captain Insano
I had the same problem with my "guitarist" best friend....

Basically you have accept the fact the fact that he is a casual musician. You love playing, he likes fooling around occasionally and there's nothing wrong with that. Just find some other serious people to jam with.

I'm sure that you and friend having different tastes about other things hasn't ended your friendship, so neither should this.

This is one the best pieces of advise I've heard in a while and I agree completely. While bassist don't go on trees, if you are constantly harping on your friend's playing and frustrated with him, its going to endanger your friendship long term. And really good friends don't exactly grown on trees either...
Dude, just don't lose a friend... I ALMOST lost a good friend because i finally got pissed off because all he could do was play power chords... i mean come on!

and i did eventually meet the best guitar player in the Pasadena/Houston texas area so yea. the dude is still my friend, just not my guitarist =D
Quote by Azgirio
Yeah, you definitely raped his churches and burned his women.

Quote by LordBishek
Forgive the bluntness, but what in the chucklefucking hell is this?
Page 1 of 2