I've finally purchased an Ibanez RG3EXFM1 electric guitar with a Marshall MG10CD amp. And first I have to say--Electrics feel better with the lighter strings >

But on to what I need help with.
After purchasing this guitar, I've memorized the chromatic, minor, major, and blues scales for C (and basically all the others since all you have to do is move your scale down the frets for a different key.) However, I'm trying to play harder faster solos that move up and down the scale, like the solo to Stairway to Heaven (I can't play those triplet hammer-on pull-off sections well XD any tips to that?). What songs can I practice to get more accustomed to the scales and, basically, to play faster?
Thanks
Just keep playing triplets on and on and on and on and on and on and on! That worked for me. I havent heard the Stairway To Heaven solo but I guess its just normal triplets.
Quote by goest
^Absolute. Uncompromising. 100% pure, fresh. Solid. Gold.

Quote by WCPhils
That might be my favorite shoop I have ever seen on here.

Quote by KnightBand
Yes! ****ing Yes! YOU LEGEND!!!
You're approaching it back to front - you don't learn songs to get used to scales, you learn scales to help you play and understand songs.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
hmm i see
well right now im still jus teachin my self how to wail
would it be better if i had a teacher or someone to help me out?
Quote by rock-is-passion
I've finally purchased an Ibanez RG3EXFM1 electric guitar with a Marshall MG10CD amp. And first I have to say--Electrics feel better with the lighter strings >

But on to what I need help with.
After purchasing this guitar, I've memorized the chromatic, minor, major, and blues scales for C (and basically all the others since all you have to do is move your scale down the frets for a different key.) However, I'm trying to play harder faster solos that move up and down the scale, like the solo to Stairway to Heaven (I can't play those triplet hammer-on pull-off sections well XD any tips to that?). What songs can I practice to get more accustomed to the scales and, basically, to play faster?
Thanks

For starters, the stairway to heaven solo is an Am pentatonic, isn;t it. A scale, which according to your post, you havent learned yet.
?
If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all
It aint that hard, just need practice IMO. It took me 1 week to master the solo, somewhat longer than other solos like hotel california. Anyway, I learn scales just to improvise in other peoples' solos. I'm currently learning the second pentatonic shape(yes I know I'm slow).

So, what I'm trying to say is, I didn't know a thing about scales when I learnt those solos. So, I do believe it is about practice and not really theory. When I learnt about the pentatonic shape, I realised how similar it was to the solo and from then on understood more. It is much easier to catch solos when you know your theories and improvise with them.
Well you have a couple of options really based on your budget, and time willing to put forth.

In my experience, taking lessons from a quality teacher is probably the best way to improve. I stress quality here because there are great guitarists who you pay money to and they basically spend half an hour showcasing their skills and not really teaching you anything. A good teacher will spend the majority of the lesson educating you in music theory and giving you the tools to improve during practice.

Teachers cost money though. Even the bad ones.

The next best thing is obviously the internet. That's why you're here right? Lots of good free info. But lots of free bad info too.

Finally, they might be a bit dated, but cost less than a teacher and are probably more accurate and organized than the internet. Books!

Speed is a by product of good practice + lots of time. Just keep at it.
Quote by baylewis
For starters, the stairway to heaven solo is an Am pentatonic, isn;t it. A scale, which according to your post, you havent learned yet.
?

The reason I'm attempting to learn the solo for Stairway to Heaven is to practice things like hammers and pulls and just learn to play faster in general.
Its true I didn't even kno wat a pentatonic scale is till now, but hey, im no expert to music theory lol i play guitar for myself.

And practice.. ok
are there any good solid songs that i should look up to get accustomed to scales and hammers and pulls?
Forget about playing "faster" - that's not something you can affect directly therefore it's mot an effective goal.

However, you CAN work on the things that affect how fast you can play - concentrate on accuracy, timing and keeping both hands synchronised and also build up your knowledge of the instrument and start training your ears.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I wouldn't worry about playing faster if I were you. I've been doing scales for a few months now and the main thing I'm trying to work on is constructing intervals that work well with certain rhythms, figuring out when to use a major interval and when to use a minor one (if I worded that right) and doing all that at 120bpm, oh and accuracy of course and picking technique is also important. Right now I'm playing with a drummer and I'm trying to narrow down my mistakes when "soloing" and eliminate them.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer