Hello everyone,

so I am starting my first project guitar.

I dont know what to do with the finish yet, so give me some ideas.

basswood body (i believe, maybe someone can help me out once i finish sanding off the existing finish)

im going with black hardware.

i am going to put a SD invader in the bridge, and a SD full shred in the neck, but im open to ideas if anyone has any other sugggestions. im looking to make this a metal machine.

ill be posting pics with my progress, and im looking for all your guys feed back.

(first pics are from the craigslist posting)
Attachments:
guitars 001.jpg
guitars 002.jpg
Ever think about maybe a chrome colored guitar? that could be kinda sick. That with black accents??? Maybe?

That or maybe you should have a flat black base with blood splattering on the front?
Quote by ESP_Shreder
Ever think about maybe a chrome colored guitar? that could be kinda sick. That with black accents??? Maybe?

That or maybe you should have a flat black base with blood splattering on the front?

ahhh i like that. chrome may be a little much cuz im not a big fan of chrome on anything.

but i like the blood splatter idea. maybe white instead of black? it would stand out better
so i bought a bridge, and some tuners today (thanks to zombiecat!).

i am also in another transaction to get a pot, speed knob, neck plate, output.

everything is coming together faster than i thought it would..i am going to post some pics of the body tonight or tomorrow night once im finished sanding. the wood is startin to look more like mahogany then basswood, but i will post some pics of the wood grain, and hopefully someone could help me out in identifying it.

im liking the idea about the blood splatter but i think im going to do it a lil different. Alpine white w/ red-orange transparent blood splatter. Black binding on the body (i think it will make it look AMAZING with binding). high gloss finish.

once i get some more pics on here you guys can comment on my progress.

also i have decided against the pups i was originally going to put in. im gonna go for a SD Custom bridge humbucker, and a SD '59 humbucker in the neck. i think it will sound better with that combo anyways.
I wouldn't do the white w/blood spatters...it will just look like a knock off of the Dan Jacobs guitar
to black with blue, yellow, and red splatters! it'd look sick
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
Quote by eyebanez333
I wouldn't do the white w/blood spatters...it will just look like a knock off of the Dan Jacobs guitar

hmmm i kinda thought that too..but i mean ml =/= explorer type body. i mean its close but its no the same. it wouldnt even look like that...i was thinkin less blood maybe kind like you beat the hell outta someone with the guitar..not like you cut yourself and let it bleed all over.
Quote by bv310
to black with blue, yellow, and red splatters! it'd look sick

another one that crossed my mind..kind like the jackson swirl finish...but not as much swirl...mor like random splatter every where...maybe i should do multi color scheme and give it a more 3D effect...maybe not 3D but maybe...layered!
Quote by xXMetal-HeadXx
ya know that crossed my mind, but i thought it may **** with the sound or something. you think it would effect the sound?

Sadly, it does. How much I really don't know.
I WANT:
Engl Fireball
Quote by XxAltecxX
Sadly, it does. How much I really don't know.

well if its any at all, i dont want to do it. I know it would look sweet, but i dont want any weird tone. i think that the multicolored splatter effect would be sweet. still go with the white base, and the black binding. everyone keep suggesting black, buttt i think im going to have to go with white
do a quilt maple top with a 3d finish!
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
Quote by xXMetal-HeadXx
hmmm i kinda thought that too..but i mean ml =/= explorer type body. i mean its close but its no the same. it wouldnt even look like that...i was thinkin less blood maybe kind like you beat the hell outta someone with the guitar..not like you cut yourself and let it bleed all over.

yeah...I know they're not exactly the same...but when I hear white/blood splatters I automatically think of that guitar. I would personally do the flat black w/blood splatters like the guy mentioned above. Either way, its gonna be sick. Keep me posted...I dig on mods and custom sh*t.
You could also do it with a lot of grey and make it look industrial. Like put red Led's in it, clear pickup rings, clear back plate with LED's in there. Put some bolt head decals on the front and some nut decals on the back and put weld marks on it so it looks like its made out of metal or something.... it's an idea.. lol
Quote by ESP_Shreder
You could also do it with a lot of grey and make it look industrial. Like put red Led's in it, clear pickup rings, clear back plate with LED's in there. Put some bolt head decals on the front and some nut decals on the back and put weld marks on it so it looks like its made out of metal or something.... it's an idea.. lol

hmmm interesting...where would the led's go? also that would involve a 9v correct?
Quote by ESP_Shreder

Lol, decals? Why not get some bolts, and cut the threads off?
I WANT:
Engl Fireball
Quote by drewsta42
You should just Jackson Pollock that ****.

maybe just leave it natural, and then jackson pollock that ish? get a lil of that wood grain, and that sweet paint job...i think it would look pretty sweet.

(somethin like this)
Maybe a lil more color in it though.

EDIT: obviously that would make some bumps and runs from the paint. Could i just leave it like that and give it a few coats of Clear coat, and sand that clear and re paint until i got it even? (if that makes sense) ive heard of the rule of 3's (or whatever) could i just do that (3 coats for 3 days)? it may have some bumps and what not from the paint thats on the body, but could i just wetsand it level and just do another day onto the rule of 3's?
Attachments:
jackson_pollock_2.jpg
Last edited by xXMetal-HeadXx at Dec 18, 2008,
Maybe you should do a holoflash finish?

*AHHHHH
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1018338&page=2&pp=20
CHHHOOOOOOOO*

My build will destroy yours. >.>

ANYWAY.

I reccomend AGAINST binding unless you are experienced with it. To add binding, you need to sand a slot along the edge of the body for it, and glue it in. If you sand the slot badly, the binding will stick out, which is uncomfortable, ugly, and will probably not last long. You get the same issue if you fudge the gluing too. Binding is a very hard process, I do not recommend it at all for a first build.

Now, you mentioned blood spatter on white, I have a good idea for it. What about a white STAIN with red blood spatter stained on top of it? To make it interesting, you could add a veneer.

http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/veneer.htm

Trans white and red on a cool veneer top would look cool and be easy to apply. A veneer is relatively easy to add as long you are good with the exacto knife. Add one coat of white stain, then design on top with a red stain, and it could look pretty darn cool.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
nooo holofoil. i like the satin white idea. ill look more into finishes later.

EDIT: oh and this isnt a compition..unless you want it to be once its done...we could make a thread and have a vote..
Last edited by xXMetal-HeadXx at Dec 18, 2008,
Quote by xXMetal-HeadXx
nooo holofoil. i like the satin white idea. ill look more into finishes later.

EDIT: oh and this isnt a compition..unless you want it to be once its done...we could make a thread and have a vote..

I am not sure you have noticed, but UG is one gigantic penis game.

I am just kidding around, man. :P
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
i like the dime pick guard idea. itll look good.

as for sound, it shouldnt do anything to hurt it.
Quote by HeretiK538
Totally awesome, I love you.

Have my children.

Quote by koalabacon
i like the dime pick guard idea. itll look good.

as for sound, it shouldnt do anything to hurt it.

ive heard that it will, heard that it wont. can anyone clue me in on if this is going to make it sound weird or not? i really think it would be a cool idea, but i dont wanna do it if its gonna create some weird feedback, or something idk.

anyone???

help?

also i was thinking about scalloping the horn on this beast. i think there is a thread talking about scalloping so i guess i wont really waste thread space, but what you guys think of the scalloped horn?
top sanded, but can anyone help me identify the type of wood?

bridge put on. waiting for a neck. other electronics will be bought after the holidays.

decided that i am going to diamond plate the top, and im undecided with the rest. i am going to leave the black on the rest of the body as a base and do some type of swirl design with a few colors. but another question, does anyone know how i would go about mounting the diamond plate? i have a pretty good idea in my head i just want to hear what someone else might do.

thanks
Attachments:
IMG_1273.JPG
IMG_1272.JPG
IMG_1274.JPG
It looks like mahogany , but i may be wrong. if you made the paint look Like Diamond plate with blood splattered on it i think that would be cool
It looks nothing like mahogany . . . . . lol

Probably basswood or something like that, they use something called Paulowinia for ML's too.
Quote by jscustomguitars
It looks nothing like mahogany . . . . . lol

Probably basswood or something like that, they use something called Paulowinia for ML's too.

thanks for the reply. i thought it would be basswood or something similar (how easily it dented, and how many dents were on the body when i got it, made me assume basswood)

i am going to start preping this for paint today, but dont think i will get to it until next weekend. i wont have enought time during the week to keep on it, so i will just wait until friday to start. at least then i will have it clear coated by sunday, and have pics by sunday night.

i cannot wait until after christmas to get the rest of the **** for this guitar, and get it all wired up. its still in the begining stages, but i can see it coming along. cant wait until i get more pics up here as it gets closer to done.