Howdy, okay so i have Half stack that i have a question with.
I use a Mesa dual rectifier and have about an hour ago got my Orange PPC2x12 through the post. Glorious =] So i have never owned my own cab before, sounds silly but yeh, i'm quite puzzled.
I just tried to hook up the two to make sure its all working for christmas, but i didn't know what cable to hook them up with. So i got an ordinary jack to jack cable and tried that. obviously it didn't work. Is this because of the cable? I looked at the tubes and everything and sure enough, 4 of the 6 tubes are glowing nicely. The other two have a slight glow at the top. Could this be why it didn't work? All the lights and stuff were on.
I haven't played my mesa more than 3 times due to lack off cabinet so i dont think the tubes could of blown or whatever, and it hasn't been knocked or damaged.
So was it the cable that csaused the problem?
What sort of cable would i need and how much roughly would they cost?

Thanks for the help.
Sweet.
you need to use a speaker cable

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Use a speaker lead, they cost about £5 max.
Check that the impedence is set correctly (the ohms of the cab must be higher or equal to those put out by the amp)
ohai little sig.
instrument cables are quite different from speaker cables - so make sure to get speaker cables to connect head to cab

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
speaker cables and correct ohms rating.
Gear:
2000 Paul Reed Smith CE-24
ESP EC-1000 w/ Seymour Duncans
Ceriatone 18 Watt TMB Plexi 1x12
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
well done on choosing mesa

And yeah, speaker cable...
Gear:

Mesa/boogie dual rectifier
Fender Telecaster USA
Epiphone Les Paul
Epiphone Sheraton
Jackson KE3 Kelly Pro
Boss Super Chorus
Boss Super Overdrive
MXR Carbon Copy
Morley Pro Series Wah/Volume/Distortion
t.bone wireless system.
It should work if used with a guitar cable it will still send a signal to the cab. Just a guitar cable can fry an amp. But you did say you have used the head before without a cab. "Only 3 times" it only takes once to waste the OT. A tube amp without a load will cause serious problems. So if you have fired up and played a guitar thru the amp for more than a few minutes without a speaker hooked up you may need to take it to a shop. Try a proper speaker cable if it doesnt work then you have problems.
No of course i haven't tried it without a cab. I've just never owned a cab myself, but i've played through others.
Ok i'll go on the hunt for a speaker cable tomorrow, but doesn't really explain the tube situation? Is it normal for only a few of the tubes to properly glow?

The ohms i think were correct. The Cab is 16 ohms, so i put the cable from the 16 ohm output on the amp to the cab. There is two slots in the back of the cab, does this mean i need 2 cables or what?
Sweet.
It probably has 2 speaker outputs but you only have one cab so use one output. The power tubes will glow brighter than the smaller preamp tubes.