Is it just me or is it easier to write solo's when you actually have a drummer, bassist, and maybe a rhythm guitarist. I just downloaded some backing tracks, using the E minor pentatonic, I made this pretty good solo, and then I tried to make a solo using the F dorian without a backing track and it utterly and completely failed.
It is defiantly easier with the full band behind you. you can see how the solo meshes with the rest of the music, and perfect it
Gear:
Peavey Millennium 4 BXP
Peavey TNT 115
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Blackstar Ht-1R
It definitely helps to have a steady beat, and to have a bassist providing chord progressions. Otherwise it just sounds like mindless noodling.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Quote by Cammeh
Is it just me or is it easier to write solo's when you actually have a drummer, bassist, and maybe a rhythm guitarist. I just downloaded some backing tracks, using the E minor pentatonic, I made this pretty good solo, and then I tried to make a solo using the F dorian without a backing track and it utterly and completely failed.

You'll struggle to create anything modal without a suitable backing - without something to define the tonality your ears will usually be expecting things to resolve to the relative major.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I always did a scratch recording with the band, or at least drums and bass, then kept playing it back at home until the solo suggested itself to me. Helps to have the lyrics handy too, just so you can keep the mood right.
Speaking of backing tracks where can I get some? I want to try and solo with some backing haven't done that yet it's just been all guitar by itself and its quite boring.