i am unsatistfied with the pup's in my s470 they sound muddy, so i want to replace them. i have been very strongly recommended irongear pickups from a friend who has been playing for over 30 years. however i have some quesions:
how hard will it be to replace them? i can do some soldering
are the pickups f-spaced? cause i need them to be for my guitar

i play blues and classic rock mostly and occasionally other genres such as metal, jazz, neoclassical etc.

i was thinking of putting a hot slag in the neck and bridge, leave the middle single as stock. i based this from the sound clips off there website, but are these best for what i want?

my rig- ibanez s470, laney vc15, vox wah and sometimes boss super overdirve pedal
ernieball regular slinky.

www.irongear.co.uk

http://www.dennistoddmusic.com/images/productImages/GuitarImages/Electric/Ibanez/S470Large.jpg -picture of my ibanez

all help is welcomed

thanks in advance
Last edited by Mr.Tamberineman at Dec 17, 2008,
i've adjusted them up and down and the pole pieces, but still think new pickups is a wise investment
i've had the guitar for about 2 years i've tryed everything, they aren't terrible to the point where it sounds bad, i just think other pickups would sound better
Is it your PUPS that are muddy? Or maybe its your amp? What amp are you using? I would always go amp first over pickups.
Quote by IPlaySchecter
Is it your PUPS that are muddy? Or maybe its your amp? What amp are you using? I would always go amp first over pickups.

+1, if its not your amp might i suggest bareknuckle pups.
i am using a laney vc15 110, all tube- its not my amp i have other guitars.

bareknuckle are very expensive, and i'm not sure if its owrth putting £200 worth of pickups in a £300 guitar
Last edited by Mr.Tamberineman at Dec 17, 2008,
Hell, ive been playing for over 20 years and ive never even heard of iron gerar pickups! i learn somethin new everyday. If you want inexpensive pups may i suggest GFS?
Quote by IPlaySchecter
Hell, ive been playing for over 20 years and ive never even heard of iron gerar pickups! i learn somethin new everyday. If you want inexpensive pups may i suggest GFS?

they are from the uk if im not mistaken, so are bareknuckles.
It is the pickups, the s470 stock pickups are ****e.

As for difficulty I did it myself a couple of weeks ago with very little knowledge of soldering, as long as you follow the wiring diagram (google) carefully it's easy. However you'll probably have to take out the middle pickup even if you're not replacing it so that you can route the wires for the neck pickup through the holes.
Gear:
Ibanez S470
Dean Performer DSE
Vox AD30VT
Line 6 Toneport UX1
Quote by jymellis
they are from the uk if im not mistaken, so are bareknuckles.

I know about the bareknuckles, But hell, i think a good amp beats high dollar pups any day.
Quote by Mr.Tamberineman
lewiji, what pickups did you replace with?

my amp is f***ing top btw

http://www.laney.co.uk/show_prod.php?prod=vc15-110

DiMarzios, Air Norton in the neck, Area 61 in the mid, X2N in the bridge. Got amazing cleans, and on a fairly clean setting the X2N will make a nice crunchy sound meaning I can just change pickups for more drive. Air Norton is badass for high gain soloing.
Gear:
Ibanez S470
Dean Performer DSE
Vox AD30VT
Line 6 Toneport UX1