Because in most Les Paul reviews, the weight is always critisized, whereas I don't tend to see too many complaints about the Explorer's weight. I know they both have mahogany bodies, but are Explorers lighter than Les Pauls? If it's relevant, the Explorer I'm looking at is the ESP LTD EX-400.
I have both and yes it is, but not by much

the explorer is more neck heavy compared to the LP but overall the LP is a tad heavier

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
Les Pauls, aside from having a bigger body anyway also have a maple top and maple is heavier than mahogany so Les Pauls as a rule of thumb are heavier than explorers by quite a large margin in most cases.
gibson and epiphone explorers are a lot heavier than the esp ex

the ex is actually pretty light

out of those three explorer shapes they are all terrible cuz theyre neck heavy

playing sitting down is a bitch and playing standing it gets pulled toward the floor so it kind of working against you

i ordered it at sam ash and when i played it i decided to get my money back

a couple months later the salesman told me someone was trying it out and dropped it off of the 10 foot high wall hanger and the body broke into 2 pieces lawl

so fuk the ex400
Quote by 12Jim34
Because in most Les Paul reviews, the weight is always critisized, whereas I don't tend to see too many complaints about the Explorer's weight. I know they both have mahogany bodies, but are Explorers lighter than Les Pauls? If it's relevant, the Explorer I'm looking at is the ESP LTD EX-400.

I got my EX400 last week. It's not heavy at all. My C-1 Classic is the heaviest, probably second one is RR3. (I should put them on the scale maybe )

Hope that helps.
70s deluxes are lighter than your average les paul if its worth something

gibson explorers arent that heavy at all actually. you just keep bumping into stuff

still the ESP explorer could be a totally different weight than the gibson one.
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
The White Strat w/Dimebucker
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Ebony
Fender Telecaster Apple Red
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
Quote by Ibanezshred333
Anything is lighter than a les paul...
Play an original thickness mahogany Firebird, then say that.

Anyhoo, yes, an Explorer will be slightly lighter than an LP as it's overall body mass is less.

Though that said, I'm amazed anyone ever has a problem with the weight of the average LP.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.