Poll: which guitar?
Poll Options
View poll results: which guitar?
PRS Custom 24
54 77%
Vintage Les Paul Standard
16 23%
Voters: 70.
basically im having a hard time deciding. i'd have a choice of LP standards ranging from late 70's to early 90's from the vintage guitar store, or a 98' prs custom 24 (ten top). ive played all the les pauls and the prs and i love them both. the LP's are major back breakers...10-12 pounds...tones so thick you can chew on though... and the PRS can do almost anything!

i play everything from blues to metal. im kinda leaning towards the PRS...help?
Gear:
2000 Paul Reed Smith CE-24
ESP EC-1000 w/ Seymour Duncans
Ceriatone 18 Watt TMB Plexi 1x12
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
Last edited by maiden_mexico at Dec 17, 2008,
lean toward the prs as well. im not really fund of the les paul anymore. they are great guitar but there are so many restrictions.
pick whichever guitar you like the feel and tone of best.
i would go with a late 80s, early 90s gibby myself.
'And after a while, you can work on points for style.
Like the club tie, and the firm handshake,
A certain look in the eye and an easy smile.'

'You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
So that when they turn their backs on you,
You'll get the chance to put the knife in.'
I assume the LPs you're talking about are Gibsons? Because Gibson's first 'bad period' (in terms of build quality) was from the late 70's to around 1993, as it so happens. If that's the kind of guitar you're looking at... it's probably best to avoid them.

Really though, if you've played them all then it should be obvious which you should buy. You buy the one that feels and sounds the best to you. Nothing else should matter.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
I assume the LPs you're talking about are Gibsons? Because Gibson's first 'bad period' (in terms of build quality) was from the late 70's to around 1993, as it so happens. If that's the kind of guitar you're looking at... it's probably best to avoid them.

Really though, if you've played them all then it should be obvious which you should buy. You buy the one that feels and sounds the best to you. Nothing else should matter.

Flibble wrote the book on Les Pauls, seriously. Listen to him.

If you find a good Les Paul, I'd have it over the PRS any day. But for sheer, unmissable quality and craftsmanship as well as boutique tone the PRS will trump the Gibson in most cases.
Also be aware that for that kind of money the world is your oyster. Don't be afraid to look into more obscure brands, because quality will still be great and you could find a real gem.
Quote by kckyle
lean toward the prs as well. im not really fund of the les paul anymore. they are great guitar but there are so many restrictions.

it's the player that restricts themselves, not the guitar.
Quote by ironman1478
it's the player that restricts themselves, not the guitar.

that's true. sure you can work on your back to get used to the heaviness of the guitar(assuming its one of these 10 pounders) and somehow get your fingers longer so you can reach the higher frets more comfortably.
Quote by Rock Pig

Also be aware that for that kind of money the world is your oyster. Don't be afraid to look into more obscure brands, because quality will still be great and you could find a real gem.

thanks for the help guies. also, i dont have all the money in the world, the guitars im looking at are from 1.5k to 2 grand (prs c24 is 1,999).
Gear:
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
Quote by maiden_mexico
thanks for the help guies. also, i dont have all the money in the world, the guitars im looking at are from 1.5k to 2 grand (prs c24 is 1,999).

used custom 24 goes around 1800 now i think i even seen some hitting 1700 on bids.
Quote by maiden_mexico

1.5 to 2 grand? A PRS Custom 24 is quite a bit more than that. Unless you find a good deal on a used one.
Quote by MOLAAAK
if you already have an ec 1000 why would you want another guitar?
Probably the same reason why I have a Gibson Custom Shop but have nine other guitars in addition, three of which are just other LPs. Why Slash has over 30 models of Les Paul. Why Joe Perry has several hundred guitars. Why Chad Kroeger gets through seven guitars per show. Why even Avril Lavigne has four guitars for each show.

Having something on standby for a different tuning, a change of tone, some guitars have features others don't, or just as a plain backup in case your main guitar has a string break.

Quote by Rock Pig
Flibble wrote the book on Les Pauls, seriously. Listen to him.
I'm not sure I'd go that far. I'm just very unhealthily obsessed with LPs

Quote by maiden_mexico
Two grand may not be all the money in the world, but it should certainly get you a top-notch guitar.

Would you consider maybe having something built for you to your exact specifications by a private luthier? Unless you're asking for something really obscure and complex, two grand should net you a top class hand made beast.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
i think i remember Mr. Ormsby saying his MOST EXPENSIVE build was around 2K, and his guitars are sexy as hell, look up his profile and give him a call, that's what i'd do if I had 2K for a guitar.

but if you had to pick between a LP and the PRS, i'd go with the PRS. Especially with the 10 top on it and all.
I think I'd go for one of the LPs. The reason for this is that both guitars are great and both can do almost anything, but the LP would be good for a long term investment; the value of it will only go up.

However, if it was a 2008 Standard LP, it would be a different story.
Quote by kenan6346
the value of it will only go up.
Not if it is indeed a '78-'93 LP. Those guitars are about as valuable now as they're ever going to get, they have such a bad reputation their prices aren't going to get any higher.
Quote by MOLAAAK
if you already have an ec 1000 why would you want another guitar?

it sounds unbearably thin...and not much tonal variety. plus the scale is very small, the upper frets are kind of hard to play on.

Quote by kckyle
used custom 24 goes around 1800 now i think i even seen some hitting 1700 on bids.

true, but most of those deals would be on ebay. i need to play a guitar in person before i can buy it. And the vintage guitar shop im getting it from is 4 hours from where i live, i was lucky enough to hang out there four like 2 and a half hours and try out a bunch of guitars/amps. next time i go i'm bringing my own amp (late december)
Gear:
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
Last edited by maiden_mexico at Dec 18, 2008,
Quote by digman50
pick whichever guitar you like the feel and tone of best.
i would go with a late 80s, early 90s gibby myself.

+100

next guy said bad period from 70s to 1993? more so just until 1985, from there on you're good to go until maybe '98 or something. not much good news about gibson lately

i mean robot guitars?? c'mon man

they don't even tune very precisely
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
The White Strat w/Dimebucker
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Ebony
Fender Telecaster Apple Red
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
Quote by maiden_mexico
it sounds unbearably thin...and not much tonal variety. plus the scale is very small, the upper frets are kind of hard to play on.
Hang on, you find the scale is too small and the upper fret access isn't good enough.. yet you're considering a Gibson LP?

You do realise the Gibsons are the same scale as your current EC? And if anything, the fret access on a Gibson LP is worse than on an ESP EC.
Hang on, the les paul your talking about. Is it the VOS?

If so I would change my vote to that. Custom shop gibsons are decent.
He said his budget is 2k, you can't get a VOS for anywhere near two grand.

Also no, Custom Shops are not decent. 8.33% of Custom Shops are decent. The rest are just as bad as most production Gibsons.
Quote by MrFlibble
Not if it is indeed a '78-'93 LP. Those guitars are about as valuable now as they're ever going to get, they have such a bad reputation their prices aren't going to get any higher.

rly? Huh, I didn't know that. If that's the case, then definitely go for the PRS.
Well y'know, it's not like you'd never be able to resell them again. It's just that if you're looking at something to sell on with any hope of making all of your money back (let alone a profit) then you need to look at Gibsons made either before 1976 or between 1994 and 1999.
prs custom fo sho' if you are having trouble with your scale. IMO prs's are much more playable in the upper area.
My gear:
PRS SE custom
~!~--Peavey XXX super 40 EFX --~!~
Peavey VK 112

===WGS Vet30
===JJ power tubes

---Pedals:
-ISP Decimator
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Crybaby wah
-Korg Pitchblack
-Danelectro FnC EQ
Thanks for the help. I just tried the guitars again, case closed.
Gear:
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
A 70's Les Paul is a great investment.......
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.