Hey guys,

I just strung up my masterbilt for the second time with D'Addarios, suddenly my D string makes a very strange pseudo-buzzing noise (the tone sounds basically like a distorted E instead of a buzzing D#). That's the ONLY fret with any problems, I'm not sure if I possibly warped the string when I was setting it up or what, but I've never had this problem before.

Are there any tricks, or am I left with just the option of restringing that one string? I hate to open a new pack just to use one string, but whatever.
im not certain about that being your problem, but if you ask at a music store they will usually sell you single strings so you dont have to open a whole pack
If you dont play above the 12th fret very often you could raise the screw thing by the bridge (I dont know what the hell its called). It will throw off the intonation of that string, but it should help stop the buzz.
SuperSpytotally sneaky
Man I'm having the same problem on my masterbilt. I just got it and D is buzzing. I like the action where it is and don't want to mess with the truss rod but I hate this buzz!
Last edited by Sloop757 at Dec 17, 2008,
it might not be because of action/neck warp. it might be a tuner or something with the bridge/nut.
Quote by bryyguy89
Hey guys,

I just strung up my masterbilt for the second time with D'Addarios, suddenly my D string makes a very strange pseudo-buzzing noise (the tone sounds basically like a distorted E instead of a buzzing D#). That's the ONLY fret with any problems, I'm not sure if I possibly warped the string when I was setting it up or what, but I've never had this problem before.

Are there any tricks, or am I left with just the option of restringing that one string? I hate to open a new pack just to use one string, but whatever.

First off, did you stick with the same gauge of string that was previously installed?
Secondly, have you checked all hardware to insure that everything is snug? Sometimes a component of a guitar will become loose, such as the hold down nut for the tuning machines, and you'll wind up with a buzz.
Next, try some lube in the nut slots. A tiny dab of vasoline is ok to use and won't harm anything. This will help mostly with tuning issues, but can correct some playability problems as well. The string needs to stretch and move a little in the nut slot, especially when fretting the 1st fret, and if it's binding it can cause you some problems.
Lastly, there's no such thing as "warping a string". You simply install them properly, tune them to pitch, and play them. You could kink a string tho, meaning bend it at a severe enough angle to put a kink into the string. This will give you a dead spot in that part of the string and ultimately lead to premature failure.
And as already suggested, music stores usually have a supply of single strings on hand and are normally very cheap.
here we go:

1) yes, i stuck with the same strings i've had for 6 months, d'addario .012s
2) everything seems snug...
3) yeah, the kink thing is what I meant, i dont know, maybe i pulled too hard when i was trying to secure the string in the bridge pin.

the only thing i did differently stringing this time around was I strung the strings one at a time, instead of taking ALL the strings off and doing them all. would this have made a difference?

EDIT: i also noticed it basically does the same thing on 13th/12th fret for the G string. everything else is fine. sigh.
Nope, they're not mixed up. I guess the main thing I want to know at this point is if its probably a problem with the strings (meaning I can swap them out) or whether it's a structural problem with my guitar (meaning even if i put on a new pair of strings it'll sound the same).
This is a bit of a long shot, but are you feeding your guitar? Meaning are you keeping it humidified enough? I have no idea where you live, but for me it's deep into winter heating season and that means dry air. I have to keep constant tabs on the humidity here otherwise my guitars will suffer. For you, it would have to be purely coincidental that it happened at the same time that you changed strings, but hey, it's a weird world.
It's possible that the problem existed with the last set of strings on it, but has now become more prominent because new strings do their job so much better. Better sustain, they vibrate better, the tone is cleaner and crisper.
This is the hardest part about trying to figure these things out over a forum like this. There's just too much guesswork involved.