Page 1 of 2
contemplating buying a bass. Been Playing Guitar 3 years and have 4 guitars already. just wondering whats more worthwhile cheers
Its your own personal opinion. Both do the same thing, 5 string just has one more string that goes a bit lower.
Quote by 2112pk
thank you for stoping this RIDICULOUS argument.
and standing on the side of truth.
but your princess is in another castle
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Go try them both out. The only real difference is one extra string. There's no such thing as a harder learning curve on a five string.

True, though the fifth string is handy as an extra anchoring point.

And besides that, I find it easier to play slap properly on a 5-stringer, for some reason. Maybe I'm just weird.
Only one way to find out, man...go play some. If you try a fiver, be sure to play one that's a Fender or Squier, and one that's not. Fender for the most part keeps the string spacing from the four-strings, while other brands have tighter spacing, resulting in two very different feeling instruments.
Nope, no sig here.
Quote by NHMattBass
Extended range, or comfort? You have 3 seconds,

Whichever you answered first is what you should get.

I believe my work here is done.

What if you find a 5 stringer more comfortable?
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
an often forgotten thing is string replacement.

it can be up to 10 dollars extra to replace the strings on a fiver, depending on the store.

are you willing to pay that much to have considerably more range in one area?
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
There's more to it than range people, there's the convenience of not having to shift positions as much on a 5 or 6.

That being said, just go to some music stores, try a bunch out, see what you like.
Quote by JEP4
There's more to it than range people, there's the convenience of not having to shift positions as much on a 5 or 6.

That being said, just go to some music stores, try a bunch out, see what you like.

hmmm.

reread what I said.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Low B = anchoring point
plus you have more choices of where to play a note
for me, the string spacing was better since a 4-string is spread out more, and now i can maneuver quite well.
I'd probably get a five string for the bigger range. If you ever want those lower notes, you're gonna have to set up a four string accordingly and it will end up being a pain in the arse.
IMO, and that of many others, if you can play it on a 4 banger than stick to it, but if you find it impossible to play what you need to on only 4 then go to 5 or even higher.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Go try them both out. The only real difference is one extra string. There's no such thing as a harder learning curve on a five string.

There was for me...
Quote by Shy Guy
IMO, and that of many others, if you can play it on a 4 banger than stick to it, but if you find it impossible to play what you need to on only 4 then go to 5 or even higher.

No. I can play a lot of my band's stuff on a four. However, as I ALWAYS BLOODY SAY, the extra string is for extra range in a single hand position. For that reason I would always recommend a five string version of a bass over it's four string counterpart- because it is much more useful no matter what you're playing.
I prefer 4 string basses, mainly because of this:

1. The neck is too wide to hold it comfortably.

2. I never got around a 5 string bass with a low B that sounded good, it seems as if it's too low. If I were to buy a 5 stringer, I would put a high B (if possible) and get some "freaky" sounds out of it. I'd also buy a fender 5 string because the neck on these is narrower, thus making them more comfortable.
schultzy.
I need to use a 4 because I play in CGCF and I need the open string notes for quite a few riffs.
Quote by Aidy Damage
I need to use a 4 because I play in CGCF and I need the open string notes for quite a few riffs.

it doesn't take off any strings... you can add a fifth string tuning to it.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

I find slap bass on more than 4 more difficult personally. other than that I prefer more strings when possible. Still looking to get one of those 11 string basses.

you could try playing something like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qARdE08p0A
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Quote by the humanity
it doesn't take off any strings... you can add a fifth string tuning to it.

GCGCF? I don't think I'd need to go any lower, to be honest.
Quote by Aidy Damage
GCGCF? I don't think I'd need to go any lower, to be honest.

or add a higher string...

but just remember it, in case of an emergency.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Once again--I wish to hell I had bought a 5er for my last bass purchase. I love my Ibanez, but there isn't a day that goes by in either of the bands I play with (Jazz and Blues) that I don't ache for that lower B.

Plus as Ben has said repeatedly, it creates a much more efficient environment for playing. Ironically, its usually easier for a smaller handed person to play a fiver than a four string because of this, despite the wider neck.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
No. I can play a lot of my band's stuff on a four. However, as I ALWAYS BLOODY SAY, the extra string is for extra range in a single hand position. For that reason I would always recommend a five string version of a bass over it's four string counterpart- because it is much more useful no matter what you're playing.

I understand man, I am never disagreeing with you when I say that. I just mean if you're gonna be playing something simple why spend extra money. Of course economy of motion is important, I also own a 5er AND a 6er. I'm just saying generally it's more budget conscious to get a 4 if you don't play something that would even hint the thought of a 5 or above.
Anchoring point comments are irrelevant as you should be anchoring on your pickup anyways

In my finding, as far as writing and improvisation goes, theres really nothing you can with 4 strings that you cant do with 4.

That said, some people just like not having to shift as much, and the extra 5 notes are nice for songs that call for them.
^I've written songs that would be nearly physically impossible to play without my high C string. Most of my songs are like that. Those high notes in the same position are a godsend.

Quote by NHMattBass

If you found a 5 string more comfortable what would be the point of getting a 4?

Exactly?
thanks guys, appreciate the variety of replies sort of swayed towards a 4 string cus of the comfort
If find my six string more comfortable than my four string...
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
Quote by yingyangthang
Anchoring point comments are irrelevant as you should be anchoring on your pickup anyways

Says who? Many of the professional bassists I know say that anchoring at all is 'wrong' and that using a floating thumb is the most efficient and 'correct' way of playing.

Why is anchoring on pickups what we should be doing?
Quote by schultzmeister
I prefer 4 string basses, mainly because of this:

1. The neck is too wide to hold it comfortably.

2. I never got around a 5 string bass with a low B that sounded good, it seems as if it's too low. If I were to buy a 5 stringer, I would put a high B (if possible) and get some "freaky" sounds out of it. I'd also buy a fender 5 string because the neck on these is narrower, thus making them more comfortable.

are you fvcking serious? a fender = log. they have horrible playability. my ibanez 5 string basically is the same size as a 4 str p bass
Quote by Azgirio
Yeah, you definitely raped his churches and burned his women.

Quote by LordBishek
Forgive the bluntness, but what in the chucklefucking hell is this?
Quote by Jateca
Says who? Many of the professional bassists I know say that anchoring at all is 'wrong' and that using a floating thumb is the most efficient and 'correct' way of playing.

Why is anchoring on pickups what we should be doing?

I dont know which professional bassists youve talked too, but all my teachers and all the bassists in the recording world Ive talked to have ALWAYS told me to anchor my thumb on the pickup unless Im going for a specific tone that I cant get at that point.

Anchoring is not all wrong, and floating thumb (at least to me) gives you no leverage to really dig your strings

Sorry if I seem snobbish, but Ive just had a lot of very respectable bassists tell me the exact same thing about this
Quote by yingyangthang
I dont know which professional bassists youve talked too, but all my teachers and all the bassists in the recording world Ive talked to have ALWAYS told me to anchor my thumb on the pickup unless Im going for a specific tone that I cant get at that point.

Anchoring is not all wrong, and floating thumb (at least to me) gives you no leverage to really dig your strings

Sorry if I seem snobbish, but Ive just had a lot of very respectable bassists tell me the exact same thing about this

I use floating thumb extensively on my sixer. Anchoring on the pickup and playing comfortably on the C string just isn't very practical for me. It helps with muting the lower strings, too.

Both techniques have their places, I think.
Quote by Revelation
I find slap bass on more than 4 more difficult personally. other than that I prefer more strings when possible. Still looking to get one of those 11 string basses.

you could try playing something like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qARdE08p0A

how the hell did you find that, its badass.

kudos
Quote by CurbstompBass
I use floating thumb extensively on my sixer. Anchoring on the pickup and playing comfortably on the C string just isn't very practical for me. It helps with muting the lower strings, too.

Both techniques have their places, I think.

Its probably safe too assume that your technique changes a little with 6 strings. But the point Im trying to make is that the anchoring point isnt really a viable reason to buy a 5 string
i see the advantages of a 5 string im just more comfortable with a 4 and thats more important to me than having those extra notes
Quote by yingyangthang

I would agree that it's not a viable reason to go for a 5'er

And I never said anchoring was wrong, but it's certainly not the ONLY correct way.

Look at Jeff Berlin, Victor Wooten, Steve Bailey, Bill Dickens, Billy Sheehan etc.

Their thumbs are constantly moving over the strings, depending on where they are playing.

On a 5 or 6 string, anchoring on the pickup at all times can create unnecessary strain on the right hand, especially when playing long passages on the higher strings.
Quote by NHMattBass
I have one thing to say to both of you.

Ah c'mon, It's DISCUSSION forum

What'd be the point if people didn't discuss things?

Granted, it is off topic for this thread, but it's not like there's a heated argument going on here
Last edited by Jateca at Jan 9, 2009,
Quote by NHMattBass
Yea, I know, I just love that picture .

Personally, I anchor-float, I like 5 strings so I anchor if I'm playing the first 2 strings, then float to play the A, D,G strings.

Fair enough, my thumb usually stays on the B most of the time, I only float if I've playing something tricky on the D or G.

That's partially to do with my playing style though, I play in a fairly aggressive rock band so the anchor is kind of necessary when thrashing around the place.
Page 1 of 2