I'm using a Crate VTX212B.

It seems on the clean channel, reverb is a wonderful thing. Nice warm tones. As good as a solid state/digital reverb gets IMO.

But on the second channel, it seems gain and reverb just don't play well together. At least, not when certain combinations of notes come into play. Single notes, fifths, octaves, etc. all sound great, but when you throw in a 4th or a 7th, it doesn't hum as smoothly as I'd like (maybe I'm just being picky).

Is this something between gain and reverb in general, or is it just a limitation of my amp?
    I think it's just you being picky or it's just a limitation of your amp.
    normally reverb and gain go together pretty well.
    A hero of war, Yeah that's what I'll be

(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)
    get better at guitar and you'll find yourself in a venue with its own reverb
    Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
    I've got a Crate Blue Voodoo and reverb is great on both Channels.
    Scarred for life!

Rig:
    Gibson LPC
    Jackson DK10D
    Fender HM Strat
    Custom built Tele-type
    Alvarez 5040 Koa
    Epiphone 12 string
    Blue Voodoo 50
    Dunlop 213 slide
    Fender M-80 chorus
    Digitech Jimi Hendrix Experience
    Eh. I personally can't stand reverb with distortion. It's all preference.
    Quote by doggy_hat
    This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
    Gain and reverb sound great together, especially for solos and leads. As long as you dont have too much reverb, which may be the problem, it shouldnt sound bad.
    it most likely your amp

vtx has digital reverb, right?

thats most like the cause of the poor reverb
    if you love bbe products join the "i heart bbe" group. kthnx (click link below)
    http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ilovebbe/

Quote by Dempsey68
    get a cheap marshall... my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps.
    Quote by BleedDeathMetal
    Eh. I personally can't stand reverb with distortion. It's all preference.

Yeah, on this head I'm playing now, it's the best reverb I have ever played, but if I crank the gain any, it just makes me hate it. haha
    Les Paul, Strat, Tele
    Carvin x100b, Epip VJr, Crate V33
    Carvin 4x12, 2x12
    Eh...it may just be me then. Doing certain things it sounds good, like soloing, but some chords just get warbly/muddy (hard to explain). I'm much more of an acoustic/clean channel player, and I'm still having trouble finding gain sounds I'm truly happy with.
      Quote by Nevermind1299
      I fixed that for you, sir.

No need to thank me.

HAR HAR SO FUNEEEE

If it sounds so good on the clean channel, I doubt the problem is the reverb - maybe it's just that solid state distortion sucks ;D
      Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
      Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
      _ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
      maybe its just too much reverb. try using less.
      Quote by BryanChampine
      It was like a orgasm in my ear.
      Chea_man is the best.
      Quote by Exo M7
      If it sounds so good on the clean channel, I doubt the problem is the reverb - maybe it's just that solid state distortion sucks ;D

You know, actually, the gain sounds great when it's GAIN!, but when you just want a little crunch (like what I"m going for), it's just...not there. I probably just need to find a good pedal, but....budgets and all. MXR's Overdrive seems like a good one.
        The kustom I had had great reverb with the gain turned up. Might be you could be the way the reverb is set up in the amp.
        maybe instead of playing with the reverb...you put on some slight delay. nothing big just a wee bit. always sounds better then reverb like that anyways IMO
        Quote by xXMetal-HeadXx
        maybe instead of playing with the reverb...you put on some slight delay. nothing big just a wee bit. always sounds better then reverb like that anyways IMO

Not a bad idea. I'll play with it.
          I love some plate verb with high gain tones on my engl and evh
          Baron K2 SE 120
          MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
          Eventide TimeFactor Delays
          ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
          BKP Warpig pickups