Hello, chaps and cats and dogs.

I have recently purchased a Schecter v-1 FR. It has the 2008 EMG 81/89TW coil tap pickups installed stock. The cleans are pretty nice, but the problem is that for heavy riffing it just lacks depth and punch and to put it bluntly : good tone. The sustain for whammy squeals is pathetic. I can only get a decent amount of gain from cranking the knobs up on a line 6 spider III.

And I don't just use a spider amp. I have a Schecter S-1 Elite with normal EMG 81/85's that I play through a Krank Revolution combo among tons of other amps. My Elite sounds nice in all the amps that the v1 sounds like s*it in. I really just want different pickups.

I'm looking for a diverse pickup combination that can allow me to play the high gain stuff : Pantera, Death, In Flames, Deicide, Bodom etc

And mellow stuff like Opeth, Porcupine Tree, you name it.

I don't want the cold cyborg feel of EMG's anymore.

I have been looking at the Seymour Duncan hot rodded humbucker set, the dimarzio X2n, the dimarzio drop sonic, and duncan invaders.

I use .10-.52 gauge strings in D standard or drop C tuning. And I like my riffing very tight...like Jon Schaffer triplet tight.

Could any of you lads suggest a pickup set for me?
Last edited by No Seatbelt at Dec 17, 2008,
it wont matter if your amp sucks

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
DiMarzio D-Sonic sounds perfect if you're drop tuned. Also consider the D-Activators, which are a bit like EMGs with an organic passive tone.
If your budget is a bit higher, Bare Knuckle Nailbombs, Miracle Mans and War Pigs all deliver great high gain sound. The Nailbomb and War Pig are quite versatile, too.
Dude its totally your amp, hate to break it to ya. That cold "cyborg" feel its from the amps digital processing.
Carvin DC127+Custom Lacewood Build+Godin SD--->Traynor YCV50BLUE

My Build IT'S DONE!
Quote by No Seatbelt
I have recently purchased a Schecter v-1 FR.

v-1 ? you mean C-1 ?

Quote by No Seatbelt
I can only get a decent amount of gain from cranking the knobs up on a line 6 spider III.

Haven't heard any good things yet about active pickups on a modeling amp...

U need to get urself a new amp man.. (active are nice combined with tube amps)
Squier Standard Telecaster.
Random Ibanez GIO superstrat
Takamine EG440C Maple Blue

Line 6 Spider III 30 w
Blackheart Killer Ant
Blackheart Little Giant

Line 6 Pod X3 Live
Line 6 Toneport UX-2
Quote by bean-o
Dude its totally your amp, hate to break it to ya. That cold "cyborg" feel its from the amps digital processing.

exactly - you could put stock p/u's in and wont notice much of a difference. Invest in a nice tube combo and problem solved. It wont matter what p/u's you put in your axe if you keep playing through a junk digital amp

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
Quote by IKnowItsWrong
v-1 ? you mean C-1 ?

Schecter makes a V-1

TS: I agree with everyone else...its probably your amp. As much as you don't want to hear that You might notice a subtle change with a pickup swap...but not as big of a change as you would notice by getting a better amp.
hahaha! I failed to mention that I don't just play it through that amp. The pickups suck in every amp I've used. And I just want passive pickups anyways.

So please, tell me about pickups. Sorry about the ****ty way of expressing my question.
Well in that case... I suggest the D-sonic also. I have one in my Ibanez S and it sounds very clear for lower tunings. Its got some serious balls.
Carvin DC127+Custom Lacewood Build+Godin SD--->Traynor YCV50BLUE

My Build IT'S DONE!
Only reason I didn't say new amp is because I was resourceful enough to look at his profile and see he has a Krank.

Just defending myself here.
Thank you, Rock Pig and Bean-o. May many STD-free strumpets throw themselves at your feet.
Quote by No Seatbelt
Thank you, Rock Pig and Bean-o. May many STD-free strumpets throw themselves at your feet.

May they indeed.
I'ma gonna sig that.