Can someone tell me what key this is in, then tell me how they figured it out so I can do it myself next time?

e|---------------------------------------|
b|---------------------------------------|
g|---------------------------------------|
d|---------------------------------------|
a|------5/7----7/8------8/10---10/12-----|
E|--0-0-3/5--0-5/6--0-0-6/8--0-8/10------|
E minor is a possibility. Using the E natural minor scale, the minor third of E being G (3rd Fret, E string). It's the natural minor scale because of the D (10th fret, E string).
F major
going by the power chords you're using and the open e string
if you're wondering what to solo in any of these would be right
F major
G dorian
A prhyigian
Bb lydian
C mixolydian
D aeolian/minor
E locrian
E locrian in the key of F Major. =D

[EDIT]

However having said that you're better off looking at this as something in e natural minor with a blues note. So E blues, I guess. e natural minor, obviously would sound fine, and so would e blues, with that tritone. Kirk Hammett, basically.
Last edited by MisquotedTeabag at Dec 17, 2008,
I believe thats A minor.
Quote by Dog--
Holy **** that is the single funniest thing I've ever heard, thanks grimguitarist91, hats off to you good sir.

Quote by grimguitarist91
I believe thats A minor.

If it's A anything, it's A phrygian which is unlikely considering the E pedal tone. The tonal center is certainly E.
Quote by nickyjohnson
F major
going by the power chords you're using and the open e string
if you're wondering what to solo in any of these would be right
F major
G dorian
A prhyigian
Bb lydian
C mixolydian
D aeolian/minor
E locrian

No. Modes don't work that way.

TS: Assuming E is the root, you would call it E minor. The riff contains a b5, but the song is almost certainly not modal, so there's no reason to call it locrian.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis
No. Modes don't work that way.

TS: Assuming E is the root, you would call it E minor. The riff contains a b5, but the song is almost certainly not modal, so there's no reason to call it locrian.

+1 modal terms are inappropriate here.

The root notes of the power chords actually seem to follow the G minor scale.

Quote by __Pent__
Can someone tell me what key this is in, then tell me how they figured it out so I can do it myself next time?

e|---------------------------------------|
b|---------------------------------------|
g|---------------------------------------|
d|---------------------------------------|
a|------5/7----7/8------8/10---10/12-----|
E|--0-0-3/5--0-5/6--0-0-6/8--0-8/10------|

They probably figured it out by ear, and have very little, if any theory knowledge.

You can do that.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Dec 17, 2008,
looks like E minor blues to me.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
The Bible is awesome. Revelation is so badass, I mean, dragons and angels and the devil having an epic battle in the clouds? Badass.
Quote by Shadow_Hawk
looks like E minor blues to me.

It would have 7th fret instead of 8th.

6th string: 3 5 6 8 = G minor

if it was: 3 5 6 7 10..... then you have E minor blues

To me it just looks like amature writing. ( no offense intended).

Analysis in a case like this is somewhat pointless.

I would say the writer either knows no theory or is intentionally trying to do something out of key.
shred is gaudy music
This is E blues. Well, E natural minor with a Tritone above E added to it to get a cheap Metallica sound. Who ever wrote this should have used the Tritone as a passing tone thus making the power chord on the 6th fret to go to the 7th making the progression a more solid tonal center. Calling this E locrian is theoretically correct, however listening to it in my head I don't see how the E tonal center is created. It obviously wants to resolve to an F; that being the main argument for this not being an E aeolian. All in all bad writing unless of course all issues are resolved as the progression goes further in.
same scale as "am i evil". i would say its locrian based off of the root being E. even though its not being played over a chord vamp that would define it as being modal it is that "mode" nonetheless. i know arch is just being nitpicky because thats him but i would expect a little more openmindedness from guitarmunky. i would end up saying e minor but with a flattened 5th if you want to get technical about it. tons of great metal songs have used this key from tons of bands.