hey guys, i just got my nice new seymour duncan JB from ebay. broke out the soldering iron and got it in, but this was my first time so i obviously made some mistakes because the signal is very very thin like i've got the volume rolled off. I think it is cause with the wire that goes to the pot's tab, the hole there was closed, and my soldering iron wouldn't open it up, so i just soldered it right onto the side with some excessive amounts of solder, kind of did the same thing with the grounded wire to the side of the pot. too much solder.

my question is, is this the problem? too much solder, or is the pickup just busted and i got ripped? i don't want to keep messing with someone that won't change.
Quote by Strato-Massacre
yeah you shouldnt have told the pit to rape your mom.

Quote by Kensai
It's not sexist, girls are just too stupid and weak to hold up doors and stuff for themselves.
Ok, this is the same pickup i got. Whats the set up on your guitar, tone and volume pots and pickup selector?
MySpace Profile
If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding. How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?

Here's a couple of diagrams that I found useful

MySpace Profile
If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding. How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?

no, i know how it should go. and all my knobs are up all the way and i'm on my bridge pickup obviously. I just want to know if having excess solder affects the tone... cause its really thin and weak.
Quote by Strato-Massacre

Quote by Kensai
It's not sexist, girls are just too stupid and weak to hold up doors and stuff for themselves.
Quote by Lt.DanHasLegs
no, i know how it should go. and all my knobs are up all the way and i'm on my bridge pickup obviously. I just want to know if having excess solder affects the tone... cause its really thin and weak.

It might be a cold solder joint, or maybe it's just not connected very well. It sounds more like you have a wire in the wrong place.
I Japanese Fenders
MIJ '86 Strat, MIJ '95 Foto Flame Tele, Jackson JSX-94
Schecter C-1 Classic 3TSB, Takamine EG544SC-4C
Warwick Corvette Fretless MIJ '89 P-Bass Lyte
Fender Geddy Lee Sig Bass, Ibanez DTT700 Destroyer
well... i have the right color wire at the same tab that i took the old one off. it also has two grounds going to the pot and i put them in the same spot, would this affect it??? over all it sounds like i have a single coil in really but i'm not using one of the coil tapping wires...
Quote by Strato-Massacre

Quote by Kensai
Are the two split wires properly soldered together and taped off?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Are the two split wires properly soldered together and taped off?

...no, what would that mean and how do i do it? thanks a ton guys

Edit: i took my best guess as to what soldering together and taping the other wires was and now it works fine. thanks again everyone idk what i would have done without you
Quote by Strato-Massacre

Quote by Kensai
Last edited by Lt.DanHasLegs at Dec 18, 2008,