im looking for a scale or mode that
would fit in where pentatonic major minor does
only a bit more exotic/metal sounding.
i dont know much about scales
so,any help would be good.
Quote by deadringer13
xjosheex, you have made a simple answer to it all haha

Quote by Pr0gNut
I hope he gets a blood disease and dies alone and screaming.

I mean that in the nicest way possible of course.
what IS the natural minor?
Quote by deadringer13

Quote by Pr0gNut

I think the natural minor scale is the minor pentatonic with 2 more notes added. Not sure though?
It is the 6th mode(Aeolian) of the Major scale. The intervals are 1 2 b3 4 5 b6 b7. The intervals for the major scale are 1 2 3 4 5 6 7. So the notes of C major are C, D, E, F, G, A and B. To get it to C minor you lower the 3rd(E) a half a step, lower the 6th(A) a half step, and lower the 7th(B) a half step. The notes in C natural minor are C D Eb, F, G, Ab, and Bb. The Harmonic Minor is an exotic sounding scale. You just simply raise the 7th a half step of the natural minor. C Harmonic minor is C, D, Eb, F, G, Ab, and B.
Last edited by Guitar Guy21 at Dec 17, 2008,
dorian, love it. or locrian. sorry if i spelt it wrong.
if you want to play exotic stuff get someone with no knowledge of music to point out a bunch of random notes and then write a song or riff using them.
well,
guitar guy,
that sounds interesting.
but,what the hell does that mean?
can you guys tab this stuff out maybe.
like,an example of it.
Quote by deadringer13

Quote by Pr0gNut

Try hexatonic and whole tone scales
Quote by gun4hire
ugh, you cant rape someone with a pineapple because that would assume that someone doesnt want to have sex with a pineapple, which is impossible

Quote by Jackal58
Ignorance of the law is no excuse.
Especially an ignorant law.
Tabbing out modes for you isnt going to help you. You need to learn some theory lessons or they're not going to do you any good. Try musictheory.net and learn how to construct major/minor scales. You should even bother with modes untill you have a good handle on more basic concepts like using major and minor scales and such.

What you asking for is like giving an algebra book to a kid who hasnt learned to add and subtract yet. Its not your fault because your self taught most likely and dont have someone to guide you in a sensible order, but I really wouldnt concern myself with modes at this point if I were you.

The lessons on musictheory.net are very helpfull. You also might want to invest in a book.
I have one called "Guitar logic: patterns for improvisation". The title is misleading it has nothing to do with playing by patterns but rather teaches music theory directly applied to the guitar. It also includes modes but not untill after you've learned many more basic ideas.
Last edited by /-\liceNChains at Dec 17, 2008,
Agreed ^

My school teaches out of the Berklee Beginning Guitar Books. Start rock bottom, always use a metronome and pla it over and over again
Quote by Guitardude19
The world is a fucked up place.

Tele's

"Oh I'll play the blues for you"
It doesn't matter if you play the relative major scale of the minor pentatonic, it will still sound minor. (IF it's a minor progression, since pentatonic scales can also be played on top of a funky dominant chord vamp, which doesn't necessarily imply a minor tonality).

What you could do, is just play the natural minor, and play it all across the fretboard. Add some chromatism here and there, or a blue note if the melody allows for it. It just depends on the situation really..
all right,
yes self taught.
To barnes and noble!
:/
would they have it?
Quote by deadringer13

Quote by Pr0gNut

They might its by fletcher epperson.
Before you go to the store id recommend you read some reviews on more guitar/music theory books incase they dont have the one your looking for so you dont end up buying one at random thats no good. Theirs a bunch of threads about good guitar/musictheory books on here if you do a search. Then youll have more options.
I agree with above, learn major and minor, get a handle, go from there. For something exotic, I'd go for Phrygian mode.