hey all, does any one else find that they can start off writing music for a new song or W.E bt become stuck after 8 bars?? i do lol, tis rather annoying, anyone know how to over come this??
my cure for this has always been pretty simple

turn on the drum machine and just start jamming, record yourself if at all possible because eventually you'll come up with something awesome and want to remember it. i used to have a format of playing something for 4 bars then switching to something else for 4 bars and just keep going like this until it felt natural for the song to go back to the initial 4 bars of jam. this is how i wrote a lot of songs on my profile.
I try to dig deeper into the music I already have written (those 8 bars) to see what it really is, where it came from and what it means, then I think of something related to it and try to represent it with music
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Read the phrasing and embelishment articles in my blog.

In my blogs I demonstrate how you can take a simple melody and embelish it to the point of interestingness (even though the song I embelished sucks) and how to use repetition and development in such a way that it doesn't sound obnoxious. Basically I'll tell you how to take an 8 bar melody and beef it out to 32 bars.
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
Quote by Epiphone'sRock
hey all, does any one else find that they can start off writing music for a new song or W.E bt become stuck after 8 bars?? i do lol, tis rather annoying, anyone know how to over come this??

This is the constant obstacle for the composing musician. Where do I go next?

I guarantee all the greats have asked themselves that very question on numerous occasions. Very rarely a song comes along fully formed.

Usually the answer is painstaking trial and error. Try out different things and find what fits.

Meditate on the song for a while and imagine it developing into a new part. Then try to pick that out.
Si
20tigers gives such great advice dude. It'll never hurt to listen to him. His word is like the word of God here, so pay attention to ever word he says.

It is very helpful to be able to record the parts that you've got and just listen back to them. You really can't put a price on it, because it is so valuable to be able to do it. Listening to a guitar part alone, you can imagine how you want it to develop, and what you want the rest of the instruments to be doing. You can decide what textures you want on each section, if you want harmonies or not, what you want the bass (if you want bass) to be doing. If you can record in ANY way at all, do it. You will be doing yourself the biggest favor of your life.

When you're writing a piece, it is often useful to think about it as a whole. If you're writing for guitar, don't think just about the guitar. Think about it like it's a string section or something. What will each part be doing. If you're writing music for someone else, pay attention to what they've got going, and decide what your part should do. It helps to know what you or the person you're writing for is looking for. Think about what each part of a song should do. If you should be taking more of a lead role, or if you should be more in the pocket. You can't be the lead role all the time. You want each note, chord, pause, everything, to have a purpose.

Kinda get what I'm saying man? As you progress as a musician and a songwriter, it becomes easier. You start becoming more comfortable, and having a better idea of what you're looking for in a song. You can identify what you're looking for, and then how to get there. It's a wonderful process. It takes a long time (it did for me anyway) to get there, but it's a great experience. You'll still hit bumps in the road with you're music, but it becomes easier to get over those bumps, and much more comfortable.

Hope all this helps man. Comment back, and I'll see about helping more if you have any questions about anything.
Got Death Magnetic a day early!

The Low-Cardinal of Zeppelinism - If you're a diehard fan of Zeppelin, join Zeppelinism here

Winner of the "Biggest Led Zeppelin Fuck" award in the CR forum (2 years running!)
Quote by ChucklesMginty
Half the BPM and double values, then you'll have 16 bars.

I think I just failed at rhythms.
Not actually a bad suggestion if you know what you're doing. I might use that in my articles...
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.