Hey guys

Well... I've been playing my Peavey 6505, which is basically brand new, and tbh... it sounds gash... I'm playing it through a Marshall 1960 4x12 cab, and I've tried with different guitars, I really don't know what is up...

It just sounds really muddy and like 'pffff'

Why is this?

Also, I might be getting a guitar with active pickups, would this help anything?

EDIT EDIT EDIT
I'm pretty sure now that the problem is with the cab, so could someone recommend me a good cab that is fairly cheap (arround £300ish about $450) with vintage 30's, and is a 4x12, I'm pretty short on cash atm, so I don't have much to spend, other than what I'll get from selling the Mashall I have atm.

Thanks
My Band =]
We play some goffic pish
Its fun

Leave us a comment, we'll get back to you =]
Last edited by FNAFJ at Dec 18, 2008,
tried lots of eq settings... still sounds pretty bad
My Band =]
We play some goffic pish
Its fun

i felt the same when i first got mine.

what sort of volumes are you playing at? it really starts to beef out at around 3-4, also i found that an eq pedal in the effects loop and an overdrive in the front end got me a lot closer to the sound i was looking for - rebiasing is also a possibility and a common cheap mod for these amps.

if you don't really use the clean channel and want to lower the headroom to get more grit of it, try taking out the 2 outer power tubes.
Post your settings please.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by haz_uk
i felt the same when i first got mine.

what sort of volumes are you playing at? it really starts to beef out at around 3-4, also i found that an eq pedal in the effects loop and an overdrive in the front end got me a lot closer to the sound i was looking for - rebiasing is also a possibility and a common cheap mod for these amps.

if you don't really use the clean channel and want to lower the headroom to get more grit of it, try taking out the 2 outer power tubes.

whoa, adding an overdrive at the front D:
I'm pretty sure the 6505 doesn't need any extra push for gain lol

And... what does taking out the outer two power tubes do?
Just like.... cuts the volume in half or something?

&& how would I rebias it?

EDIT:

I don't have the settings on me right now, because the amp is at my bassists house where we have band practice, but there were something along the lines of;

bass, 7
mid, 7
treble 9
resonance 10
presence, 8
pre 8

but I have changed them about a lot... what settings would you recommend I try?
My Band =]
We play some goffic pish
Its fun

i wouldnt take tubes out, ive never heard of that being done but i might be wrong. on the side of the overdrive dont use it to push the gain use it to tighten the bottom end, just roll of the gain/drive and up the tone.
The OD would tighten it up rather than boost the gain.

Also, what speakers are in your cab?
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
ummm... no idea what speakers are in it, it's just the standard ones that come with a Marshall 1960 cab
My Band =]
We play some goffic pish
Its fun

Quote by FNAFJ

I don't have the settings on me right now, because the amp is at my bassists house where we have band practice, but there were something along the lines of;

bass, 7
mid, 7
treble 9
resonance 10
presence, 8
pre 8

but I have changed them about a lot... what settings would you recommend I try?

That's all way too high. Pre above 6 sounds terrible. It's a mid heavy amp so on 7 would be an over load. Too much high end with treble and presence that high. The list goes on.

Take everything back to 5 and turn it the post gain up to atleast 1, and then EQ again.

My EQ is like:

Bass:5/6
Mid:4/5
Treble:6/7
Pre:4
Presence and resonance at 0.
Post at like 1, 2 if I can.

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by jambi_mantra
That's all way too high. Pre above 6 sounds terrible. It's a mid heavy amp so on 7 would be an over load. Too much high end with treble and presence that high. The list goes on.

Take everything back to 5 and turn it the post gain up to atleast 1, and then EQ again.

My EQ is like:

Bass:5/6
Mid:4/5
Treble:6/7
Pre:4
Presence and resonance at 0.
Post at like 1, 2 if I can.

+1

A 6505 on 8 will get you the tone of satan him self rising from the bowels of hell lol Sure its impressive but its not really good for anything but a bloody mess...
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Your cab is the issue... 1960 cabs and those amps do not get along. Makes for a harsh muddy mess.

Can anyone back this up, cos I got told somewhere else that 1960 cabs were good with the 6505 head v.v

also, what cab should I get as a replacement?
My Band =]
We play some goffic pish
Its fun

Quote by FNAFJ
Can anyone back this up, cos I got told somewhere else that 1960 cabs were good with the 6505 head v.v

Only Marshall cab that is good for that amp is the one loaded with Vintage 30's. And I'm almost positive you dont own that one. 1960 lead cabs are notoriously bad cabs for anything but Marshalls and a few select others. But dont take my word for it, its not like I own the cab and two Peaveys or anything Oh well someone will chime in.
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Dec 17, 2008,
could someone recommend me a better cab I could get then, that I could hopefully trade for, or sell the 1960, and spend as little as possible to buy the replacement?
My Band =]
We play some goffic pish
Its fun

If you're in the US look at Vader and Avatar, they get toted around a lot on here coz they're very good value.

Try and nab a Mesa? Look for stuff with V30's (even though I don't actually like them with 6505's) and a 2x12 if you're on a budget.

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by FNAFJ
could someone recommend me a better cab I could get then, that I could hopefully trade for, or sell the 1960, and spend as little as possible to buy the replacement?

I prefer Vintage 30's when it comes to Metal and Peaveys. So anything loaded with them and your good to go. Try to stay away from Marshall 1960 cabs in general as well unless you mod it or get it modded. Theres alot of other good speakers out there as well. But the general rule of thumb is preloaded Cab with Vintage 30's because there easy to come by. Example Vader, Mesa, Avatar, Orange and the list goes on...
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Your cab is the issue... 1960 cabs and those amps do not get along. Makes for a harsh muddy mess.

+1, mine sounded like crap with my 5150. Vintage 30s or Eminence Legends are the way to go with that amp.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by jambi_mantra
If you're in the US look at Vader and Avatar, they get toted around a lot on here coz they're very good value.

Try and nab a Mesa? Look for stuff with V30's (even though I don't actually like them with 6505's) and a 2x12 if you're on a budget.

In the UK I'm afraid, so no Vader's for me
My Band =]
We play some goffic pish
Its fun

Quote by IbanezPsycho

i feel the exact opposite. a friend of mine has a regular 1960A and a block 5150 and he has the best metal tone i've ever heard. just my opinion though

TS - back off the resonance a bit. if i'm correct that's a bass control knob, and too much bass will make any amp muddy. also try backing off the gain. 5150/6505s don't really need to go higher than 6 on the gain knob to have some righteous metal gain
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
Quote by FNAFJ
In the UK I'm afraid, so no Vader's for me

Uk has a ton of cab makers like Vader and Avatar just hit up a google search. Im in the US and have stumbled on a few not even trying.
Hmmm, maybe a Tube replacement, but if it isnt that than tell me what volume do you have it at, because 5150's,6505's don't sound all that good at low volumes. you may want to invest in a Hot Head.
Quote by tenaciousjp
Hmmm, maybe a Tube replacement, but if it isnt that than tell me what volume do you have it at, because 5150's,6505's don't sound all that good at low volumes. you may want to invest in a Hot Head.

I did that once, got me locked up for 5 years... I would advise against it

Sorry coudlnt resist... lol
Quote by IbanezPsycho
I did that once, got me locked up for 5 years... I would advise against it

Sorry coudlnt resist... lol

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAA!!!!!
ah man that was good!!!
Quote by tenaciousjp

I dunno, it's just new, I wouldn't think the valves would be bust by now...
My Band =]
We play some goffic pish
Its fun

Quote by MatrixClaw
+1, mine sounded like crap with my 5150. Vintage 30s or Eminence Legends are the way to go with that amp.

Eh, I always thought my tone was decent...

I'll probably trade my 1960A for a 2x12 though.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by FNAFJ
whoa, adding an overdrive at the front D:
I'm pretty sure the 6505 doesn't need any extra push for gain lol

And... what does taking out the outer two power tubes do?
Just like.... cuts the volume in half or something?

i run a modded tubescreamer with the drive set to 0 and level set to 11 o'clock and it helps to round off the sound a little bit and gives it a nice boost for that chunky palm muted sound.

taking the tubes out it will lower the volume by a few decibels, but will also cause more breakup at lower gain levels and will cut feedback a little. personally i think it sounds punchier, especially when you aren't playing at mega stadium volumes.

placement of your cab in relation to where you play also helps loads, especially if its a slanted model.
Quote by IbanezPsycho

I agree completely.
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD Viper-400
Jackson RR3
Gibson SG Voodoo
Washburn Acoustic

Peavey 6505 head.
Marshall JCM200 TSL100 head.
Vader 4x12.

Maxon OD9.
Boss NS-2.
can anyone recommend me a cab I could get then?

I really have no idea what cabs are available in the UK
And that's fairly cheap, I really don't have much to spare at the moment... but I could sell the Marshall pos I have the now lol.. so idk how much I could get from that.
My Band =]
We play some goffic pish
Its fun

Last edited by FNAFJ at Dec 18, 2008,
hey guys i looked on ebay for vader cabs and there nowhere to be found? i want to buy a used one, where should i look? (im from the US by the way)
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
schecter Damian 6 string
Jackson Dinky Dk2
Peavey 6505+
B-52 At212
Everyone buys these without even hearing them, and then hates them. It happened to me, just get rid of the damn thing unless you can crank it!
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Get a Marshall 1960AV then. Has no one even though of that? It's basically what you have but it's got Vintage 30s. Most of the mainstream metal bands who use 6505s use them (Machine Head, BFMV... you know).

or an Orange 2x12 if you want some killer low end.
Gear:
Peavey JSX Head
Ibanez PGM301
Randall R212CB

Simple.
if its nearly brand new then id say the tubes just need breaking in, it was like that with my carvin, but after a while of playing it it eventually cleaned up and began to sound like an amp with Steve Vai's name on it should sound like! just play it for another week or two and see what happens, i guarantee thats all thats wrong
I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to
- Jimi Hendrix

Im tired of following my dreams, im going to ask them where their going and hook up with them later
- Mitch Hedberg
Quote by willyman101
Get a Marshall 1960AV then. Has no one even though of that? It's basically what you have but it's got Vintage 30s. Most of the mainstream metal bands who use 6505s use them (Machine Head, BFMV... you know).

or an Orange 2x12 if you want some killer low end.

The main issue with Marshall cabs is there are alot of flaws that the factory should have taken care of. So theres alot of better cabs for the money out there. That said the Marshall cab can be modded/fixed and it will then hold its own but its far from turn key.

And TS, here is a list of Cabs in your area..

HARLEY BENTON G412A VINTAGE

Harley Benton G412A vintage guitar cabinet - 4x12" Celestion Vintage 30 speakers, angled, 240watts into 8ohms, 2x 120watts into 16ohms, 16mm plywood construction, black Tolex covering, trim strip and castors. Dimensions: 742 x 345 x 742mm. Weight: 39kg.

ENGL E412VS

Engl E412VS Guitar Cabinet – 4 x 12" Vintage 30 speaker, sturdy construction, slanted, 240watts/8ohm (mono), 2x 120watts/16ohm (stereo). Dimensions: 75 x 75 x 36cm. Weight: 50kg.

MARSHALL MR1960AV

Marshall MR1960AV – 4 x 12 guitar cabinet with custom vintage Marshall/Celestion 70watt speakers. 280watts, 4/16ohm (mono), 2x 8ohm (stereo).

RANDALL RS412XLT

RANDALL RA412XLT, Guitarcabinet, 4x12", 280 Watts RMS, Straight Front, angled Baffle, Powder coated Metal Grill, Celestion® Vintage 30s Speakers, 11-ply void free Birch Enclosure, Dimensions WHD: 74,93 x 74,93 x 35,56 cm (29.5" x 29.5" x 14"), Weight: 44,45 kg (98 Lbs)

LABOGA 412A PREMIUM CABINET V30/16OHM

Laboga 412A Premium Cabinet V30/16 Ohm, guitar cabinet, angled, made in europe, 240 W RMS, 4 x 12" Celestion Vintage 30 speakers, 16 ohms, dimensions: 750 x 750 x 350 mm, weight: 41 kg, color: black

MESA BOOGIE RECTIFIER4X12 STD SLANT

Mesa/Boogie 4x12" guitar cabinet - Rectifier Series, angled.

KRANK KRANKENSTEIN 4X12"

Krank Krankenstein 4x12", 4 x 12" EMINENCE TEXAS HEAT, 600 Watt, Black Grill

ORANGE PPC412

Orange PPC412 Guitar Box 4x12", Celestion Vintage 30 Speaker,Size 53x78x38cm, Gross weight 50kg
Or just buy some used Celestion Vintage 30's or Hellatone 60's (from Avatar speakers) and swap them out in your cab
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores