I recently changed the strings on my guitar to a higher gauge (.012 - .056) and I noticed that, whilst the 12th fret note and the harmonic were the same, the notes on the lower end of the fret board were sharp. This was minimally on most strings but it was quite a substantial amount on the G (as in the string [my guitar has standard tuning]). Is there a way I can fix this myself or should I send it in to get fixed at a repair shop? All help would be appreciated as this problem makes the guitar sound horrible. What's more is my guitar is an American Standard Strat so I would really like this problem fixed. Thanks everyone.
Quote by tomulator
I recently changed the strings on my guitar to a higher gauge (.012 - .056) and I noticed that, whilst the 12th fret note and the harmonic were the same, the notes on the lower end of the fret board were sharp. This was minimally on most strings but it was quite a substantial amount on the G (as in the string [my guitar has standard tuning]). Is there a way I can fix this myself or should I send it in to get fixed at a repair shop? All help would be appreciated as this problem makes the guitar sound horrible. What's more is my guitar is an American Standard Strat so I would really like this problem fixed. Thanks everyone.

Is your bridge sitting parallel to the guitar body? That's usually the problem, but if that's not it, try doing some reading
I Japanese Fenders
MIJ '86 Strat, MIJ '95 Foto Flame Tele, Jackson JSX-94
Schecter C-1 Classic 3TSB, Takamine EG544SC-4C
Warwick Corvette Fretless MIJ '89 P-Bass Lyte
Fender Geddy Lee Sig Bass, Ibanez DTT700 Destroyer
Quote by GravyFish
Is your bridge sitting parallel to the guitar body? That's usually the problem, but if that's not it, try doing some reading

Yeah, my bridge is next to parallel to the guitar.
the 12th fret must be exactly in between the nut and the part of the saddles where the string first meets. Except the saddles are further away for the thicker strings, but if its on the higher strings maybe you need to adjust the saddles
As guitarcam123 has stated above sounds like a simple adjustment of the saddles. correct me if I'm wrong but the string length is too short making the fret sound higher. Use a tuner 12th fret harmonic and 12th fret note. When the note and the harmonic are the same, the instrument itself will be in tune.
That's my problem... The 12th fret harmonic and the 12th fret note are the same. All the other notes on the strings are fine as well. It's just the first four notes on all the strings.
Sorry, I didn't finish that last one properly... It's only the first four frets on all the strings that are sharp.
Try an Earvana compensated nut.

"Over many years of research and development, Earvana has designed the compensated nut to provide the most accurate intonation available on the market today.
We have perfected the correct degree of compensation at the nut and the bridge needed to achieve a total balance throughout the entire fret board. This results in string compression whereby extending the break off point at the nut flattens the intervals from the nut to the 12th fret.

By moving the bridge forward, which sharpens the intervals from the bridge to the 12th fret. This is where the comparison to tuning like a piano comes in. Lower notes on a piano are flattened progressively more from middle C to the lower register, and sharpened progressively more from middle C to the higher register.

This system of tuning is built into the Earvana nut."

http://www.earvana.com/products.htm

Most nut styles are available for retrofitting.
Last edited by -MintSauce- at Dec 18, 2008,
Quote by tomulator
Sorry, I didn't finish that last one properly... It's only the first four frets on all the strings that are sharp.

and here in lies the problem with guitars. you can use earvana or buzz feitin compensated nuts (ooh-er) but that is actually a design flaw with all guitars, its just the way they are. you can make it better slightly but it will never go away properly.
Thank you please.
Ah there you go I had this exact problem when I 12st got my Epi LP, carefully cut the nut down presto problem solved
Yeah, my strat has that problem, but I don't cut the nut down, because I hate a low action.