So I'm going to buy both a new guitar and a new amp for christmas, and I am a total noob, so I don't really know what is good and what isn't. Therefore, I need suggestions from people who do.

I have about 600$ to spend. I play mainly metal (Metallica and similar bands), and so a good and heavy distortion is preferable. Even so, I play other styles too, and want a good clean tone, and an amp with different effects would also be good, though it's not necessary.

I'm also going to record, if that makes any difference.
is the new guitar REALLY important? because with 600 dollars, you could get a meh amp and meh guitar, or you could get a very good amp and save up for a better guitar later. do you do gigs at all? how large are they?
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Is that $600 for each or $600 all together?

New amp>new guitar - it may be a wise investment to put the majority of (or all of) your funds into a new amp and stick it out until you have enough money for a new guitar.
600 will not cover both

what kind of guitar do you have now?
if its remotely decent, spend the 600 on a nice tube combo and a pedal instead

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
It's 600 altogether, and no I don't gig.

But I can't really wait, I've waited long enough with buying new gear. Right now I have a Squier Fender, which sucks by itself, but it's also over a year old and the intonation is just messed up by now, to the point where it's unplayable (I've tried fixing it, but no).

So in short, i don't really have a playable guitar at all right now.

Let's just say, I haven't played for very long, and I'm not overly picky. I don't need super good gear, just the best I can get with what money I have.
save up first cuz you cant get a good guitar and amp with just $600
and you play mostly metal amirite so its hard to find a decent metal amp and guitar with you're budget.

or

buy yourself a schecter damien fr $449
and a peavey vypyr 30 $199
just add $50 more to you're budget
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Last edited by WTF!!is a TAB at Dec 17, 2008,
maybe a 60w roland cube and an ibanez RG, just a suggestion, but you really should save up for a good guitar, 600 will cover a good amp, but not a good amp and a good guitar.
Quote by KuzunE
It's 600 altogether, and no I don't gig.

But I can't really wait, I've waited long enough with buying new gear. Right now I have a Squier Fender, which sucks by itself, but it's also over a year old and the intonation is just messed up by now, to the point where it's unplayable (I've tried fixing it, but no).

So in short, i don't really have a playable guitar at all right now.

Let's just say, I haven't played for very long, and I'm not overly picky. I don't need super good gear, just the best I can get with what money I have.

OK - spend $20 bucks or so to get the squier set up correctly and intonated. It's worth every penny if you can't do it yourself. Also as stated look at used gear - I have saved 40-50% on every purchase by buying used. Cube 30x & Vypyr 30 are good starter amps with versatility but you may be able to do better for $600 where you are.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I'm just going to echo what everyone else has said. If I was in your shoes I'd spend the $20-$50 to get your current guitar set up correctly if you can't figure it out off fender.com and google.com and then apply your $550 toward a used 5150, Peavey Windsor, or something like that.

Basically, what Gregs1020 said.

Also, what do you mean you are going to record. For yourself or for a demo? You don't have recording gear in this budget too do you?