so i am getting terrible tone and i will probably get flamed for this but i gotta learn some way right?

I currently record my guitar through a cable running through the headphone jack to my Tascam US-122. I know that cant be good...

so i believe my options for better tone include micing the amp or using the amp's output to a preamp and then going to the interface?

i really dont know whether the order of chords should go guitar->amp->preamp->interface?

i dont really like micing the amp (just because i am lazy ) so thats why i directly input the amp to the interface...

any answers would be awesome and any advice on specific preamps would be sweet too
The built-in stuff for the Tascam's fine for amateur work. You really won't notice a difference in quality until you get to the $400 and up range (FMR, Focusrite ISA, Universal Audio's stuff), and you'd need separate converters to make use of them (RME, Lynx).
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
Quote by Fast_Fingers
The built-in stuff for the Tascam's fine for amateur work. You really won't notice a difference in quality until you get to the $400 and up range (FMR, Focusrite ISA, Universal Audio's stuff), and you'd need separate converters to make use of them (RME, Lynx).

agreed. but i think you need to mic an amp, say no to lazy!!
Quote by ILuvPillows?
Masturbate it off.