I know a guy who wants me to "build" a vintage styled strat guitar for him. He's got a neck with frets in it and no nut, has the pickups and pickguard, a finished strat body and hardware. So, all I will end up doing is cutting and shaping the nut, wiring up the electronics, drilling the holes in the neck and neck pocket for the hardware, maybe a level and crown job on the frets, etc. etc.

How much should I charge for something like that? Should I do it by the hour or just charge him some amount right up front? If by the hour, I figure I'd do it for $10 per hour, but if I go with the up-front overall cost, I was thinking somewhere between $90 and $120 or something.

Thoughts?
whichever would be higher profit for you.
Quote by iceman95
ok
here's what you do
1. Take a fork, preferably metal.
2. Put some tomato sauce on it.
3. Let tomato sauce on fork dry.
4. Turn it in and call it: "The Spaghetti Massacre."

New guitar fund = beer/0
100 seems decent , depending on the tools and experience you have building guitars.
It's safe to assume you're not a pro since you're asking ... given that, do it for a couple of brews and win some goodwill. I've gotten to keep some choice Fender parts (replaced), guitars, etc. by not charging, initially. The "goodwill" has also allowed me to sell guitars for a nice profit.

Alternatively, you know what's fair.

Our repair shop's hourly rate is $16.50, if it helps.
I Japanese Fenders
MIJ '86 Strat, MIJ '95 Foto Flame Tele, Jackson JSX-94
Schecter C-1 Classic 3TSB, Takamine EG544SC-4C
Warwick Corvette Fretless MIJ '89 P-Bass Lyte
Fender Geddy Lee Sig Bass, Ibanez DTT700 Destroyer
Quote by Ippon
It's safe to assume you're not a pro since you're asking ... given that, do it for a couple of brews and win some goodwill. I've gotten to keep some choice Fender parts (replaced), guitars, etc. by not charging, initially. The "goodwill" has also allowed me to sell guitars for a nice profit.

Alternatively, you know what's fair.

I'm with this guy.
My gear:
Flannel shirt
band
i vote $100 flat fee, that's what i would charge
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
Hmm now I'm really torn. I thought I would charge him a nice, low, and fair amount at about $100, and take my time to do a superb job, thus generating said "good will", but still making myself some loot. Reason being, the man is a vintage gear nut, and I saw his stuff....he has in excess of $120,000 worth of vintage Fender, Gretsch, Gibson, etc. amps, guitars, pedals, and accessories, yet he doesn't even know how to set up a guitar. At all. Zero. Also, he has a brother in law that I also have done home-improvement work for, who is also a guitar hound, with at least 20 or so guitars and a small army of amps.

If I do a good job and do it cheaply enough, he will be really impressed that some youngster could pull off such a good job at such a nice price, thus opening up possible jobs for me in the future from not only him, but also from his brother in law with all his gear as well.

I like the idea of doing it for free, but what that unfortunately does is send a double message. On one hand, I am willing and confident enough to assemble vintage guitar parts worth in excess of $1000, but on the other hand, I don't think my work is worth a dime. Huh? I can't charge him nothing, because that sends the message that I am an incapable college kid, who feels uncomfortable charging him money because I know my work isn't good. The fact is, I KNOW my work is good. I've repaired multi-thousand dollar instruments for friends, acquaintances, and just people who have heard about my work, all to good report. They were all very impressed with my performance, so I know I'm not incapable of high quality work, and I don't want to mistakenly imply that I think my work is sub-par by charging him so little that he thinks my work is bad.

I have to charge him little enough so that he thinks he's getting a killer deal, but at the same time not handing his parts off to some know-nothin' kid and taking a huge risk. It's not a risk, and my work won't disappoint. What's a good price to send that message, so that I can hopefully open up a good guitar-related relationship with this guy, and hopefully his brother in law and all their gear-aholic friends?

One other thought I had was just to see if he would throw one of his pedals/accessories at me for my labor. He's got some awesome pedals, maybe about 55 of them, and some of them in as many as doubles and triplicate. I'm looking for pedals, and he's just got boxes of them sitting around. That might be an option, as it would be like "ah, it's not a big job, why don't you just send one of your echo pedals my way and we'll call it a deal?" That makes it seem relaxed and un-pretentious, but I still would get something worth about $100. A gentleman's bargain, if you will.

Further thoughts? Thanks for all the input folks.
Last edited by lumberjack at Dec 17, 2008,
You could be right ... different collectors react differently. I was in the same boat when I started refinishing, assembling, and setting up guitars for friends and dads of friends and their acquaintances. The first few free ones led to getting very nice parts, then guitars, then some cash.

You obviously are in a better position to determine how you want this to go. I'm doing this for grins and to fund my GAS.

Good Luck!

Quote by Ippon
You could be right ... different collectors react differently. I was in the same boat when I started refinishing, assembling, and setting up guitars for friends and dads of friends and their acquaintances. The first few free ones led to getting very nice parts, then guitars, then some cash.

You obviously are in a better position to determine how you want this to go. I'm doing this for grins and to fund my GAS.

Good Luck!

Not sure what GAS stands for, but I'm going to wager it's an acronym for "Gear Acquisition Syndrome"?? Or maybe I'm being retarded and it's just gas, like car gas, in all caps...either way, I'll be spending the money on both!
Quote by lumberjack
Not sure what GAS stands for, but I'm going to wager it's an acronym for "Gear Acquisition Syndrome"?? Or maybe I'm being retarded and it's just gas, like car gas, in all caps...either way, I'll be spending the money on both!

Here, when GAS is in all caps,s it's Gear Acquisition Syndrome And $100 sounds like a good fair price.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores