Here's my question: What are some of your personal opinions on the Fender Blues Junior? I've played it before and liked it very well but i have some questions that can only be answered by someome that have owned one for a period of time and gotten to put it through the paces.

1.)Is the BJ loud enough to stay clean at volume levels loud enough to compete with acoustic drums?

2.)Does the amp seem to hold up well in general?

3.)In your as objective-as-possible opinions, how does it compete with other fender amps such a Twin Reverb etc. (the TR was my first choice but the price is a bit high for me and a bit too loud for practice @ home etc.)

4.)Despite its low wattage, is the BJ an amp to be taken seriously? Or is it just regarded a cheap tube amp for beginners. (not that that matters to me much. I just was curious what the quality of the amp was overall in your opinions)

5.)I know because of its low wattage it is meant for small gigs/practice and recording more than anything, but is it possible to mike it or something so that is would be powerful enough for a medium to large sized gig? (i started out with a throw-away amp and wish i would've just dove right in and bought an amp that would've lasted me a while. I don't want to throw away 500 bucks on an amp when i'm just going to need to buy another one in a matter of time to fufill capability of higher sound levels.)

6.)I know there are other q's but i can't think of them right now... I'll just have to post them later i guess Think

Oh and just a bit of history and info on my situation. I'm looking for an all-tube amp @ a fairly low price (but i could end up saving up for a more expensive one if it REALLY seems worth it). I don't want an amp that distorts easily on its own. I want an amp that stays clean, I have a stompbox for when i want to get distortion. Right now i'm mostly playing in my room so higher-wattage amps don't seem like the right fit (in theory, it seems like it would be easier to make amps louder with other equipment than it would be to make them quieter.)

I'm fairly decided on a fender amp regardless of what one i get but if you guys know of any other amps that excell in clean sounds, and are all-tube feel free to suggest them.

Thanks for taking the time to read this monotonous oblong post and, if you're brave enough, to answer it!!
From your description a hot rod deluxe or blues deluxe would be right up your alley. Both the BJr and HRD are too loud for a bedroom, but an HRD would have an easier time staying clean at gigging volumes. The BJ could do it, but if you're not wanting any break up the HRD would work better.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
it's def regarded a nice tube amp, and actually just a show on tv with lenny kravitz and they were playin through a few of them...but if you want no breakup then go with the blues deluxe...blues jr. at stage volume seems to break up a bit which i sort of like to soften the sound
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"
the blues jr sounds great. it is voiced differenly from a twin reverb though, still a great sound though.
i have used it live in mic'd, and it was clean. however, it was a jazz gig, so in a different type of setting it wouldnt stay clean.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
the junior is a decent beginner amp for those who wanna get into tubes. its stays loud enough with a drummer. that being said, its pretty much a piece of **** and if your dedicated to the guitar, its way more worthwhile to invest in like a fender reverb.
The BJ is cool but won't stay clean. If you want to get one, I'd get the tweed one with the Jensen speaker, HUGE improvement on the amp.

If you need more clean headroom, I'd get a blues deluxe. My HRD breaks up quite early.

Although I can't wait to see how awesome my HRD sounds when I get it back from Omega Amps.
Stage Rig

Fender Strat
Epi Les Paul
Taylor 110
Boss TU-2
Omega Amps Hot Rod Deluxe (Dumble mod)
Clean/Drive/More Drive footswitch
Mid boost/Preamp boost footswitch

myspace.com/rosscooperband
Quote by meltfireisland
the junior is a decent beginner amp for those who wanna get into tubes. its stays loud enough with a drummer. that being said, its pretty much a piece of **** and if your dedicated to the guitar, its way more worthwhile to invest in like a fender reverb.

you should really give a reason for calling it a peice of ****.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by LP51122
The BJ is cool but won't stay clean. If you want to get one, I'd get the tweed one with the Jensen speaker, HUGE improvement on the amp.

If you need more clean headroom, I'd get a blues deluxe. My HRD breaks up quite early.

Although I can't wait to see how awesome my HRD sounds when I get it back from Omega Amps.

your HRD may just need a bias, mine stays clean till its too loud to use.
and i cant wait to hear yours after the omega mods. if you dont mind me asking, how much did it cost?
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by chea_man
your HRD may just need a bias, mine stays clean till its too loud to use.
and i cant wait to hear yours after the omega mods. if you dont mind me asking, how much did it cost?

Allow me to add it up for you

The standard mod (to revoice and make all three channels "Dumbley"): $250
New Tubes (I think some are Sovtek, and some are JJ's): $95
Footswitchable Mid boost and Preamp boost: $125 (it was a Christmas special)

He also does a lot stuff with the head room of the amp, making it break up smoother and so that it has a more gradual break up as it's cranked.

So all in all about $470 if my math is correct (don't count on it) plus shipping both ways.

It's do out next Tuesday. *runs in circles with un-containable excitement*
Stage Rig

Fender Strat
Epi Les Paul
Taylor 110
Boss TU-2

Quote by LP51122
Allow me to add it up for you

The standard mod (to revoice and make all three channels "Dumbley"): $250
New Tubes (I think some are Sovtek, and some are JJ's): $95
Footswitchable Mid boost and Preamp boost: $125 (it was a Christmas special)

He also does a lot stuff with the head room of the amp, making it break up smoother and so that it has a more gradual break up as it's cranked.

So all in all about $470 if my math is correct (don't count on it) plus shipping both ways.

It's do out next Tuesday. *runs in circles with un-containable excitement*

thats awesome, cograts. please give me lots of clips when its done.
i was considering having omega mod mine, but my amp started to fall apart. for me, its not worth it.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by chea_man
thats awesome, cograts. please give me lots of clips when its done.
i was considering having omega mod mine, but my amp started to fall apart. for me, its not worth it.

They also do repairs, so you could check into that.

You're diving into the vast world of Mesa Boogie, correct?
Stage Rig

Fender Strat
Epi Les Paul
Taylor 110
Boss TU-2

Quote by LP51122
They also do repairs, so you could check into that.

You're diving into the vast world of Mesa Boogie, correct?

im confident that they could fix it, but i would rather go the other route, it makes me feel safer.
and yes, i will be taking a trip down mesa road. i have my eyes on a mesa boogie heartbreaker. still, im dieing to hear clips of your amp.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by chea_man
im confident that they could fix it, but i would rather go the other route, it makes me feel safer.
and yes, i will be taking a trip down mesa road. i have my eyes on a mesa boogie heartbreaker. still, im dieing to hear clips of your amp.

Cool. I played a Stilleto and a Lonestar awhile ago and they're both cool amps. Fendery clean with a bit more umph, and spongy OD. Playing a Mesa Mark has eluded me, though.

Even if you're almost set on getting the mesa, I'd still email Jim Price (head of Omega Amps). He is extremely easy to work with and his enthusiasm is contagious, even through emails. He speaks the "tone language". He might change your mind.

And to the TS, sorry for hijacking your thread.
Stage Rig

Fender Strat
Epi Les Paul
Taylor 110
Boss TU-2

Quote by LP51122
Cool. I played a Stilleto and a Lonestar awhile ago and they're both cool amps. Fendery clean with a bit more umph, and spongy OD. Playing a Mesa Mark has eluded me, though.

Even if you're almost set on getting the mesa, I'd still email Jim Price (head of Omega Amps). He is extremely easy to work with and his enthusiasm is contagious, even through emails. He speaks the "tone language". He might change your mind.

haha, actually i did email him a month ago, and havent received a reply yet. :-(
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by chea_man
haha, actually i did email him a month ago, and havent received a reply yet. :-(

No! *shouts in disbelief*

Give him another try, he'd love to help you.
Stage Rig

Fender Strat
Epi Les Paul
Taylor 110
Boss TU-2

Quote by LP51122

nbd

I've actually been looking into the mesa boogie too (express 5:50) the only problem is the price. (and i prefer not to buy used)

what're your thoughts on mesa boogie for my needs (especially the 5:50)

thanks!!
Quote by nodistribution
nbd

I've actually been looking into the mesa boogie too (express 5:50) the only problem is the price. (and i prefer not to buy used)

thanks!!

They're cool, but you could get clean headroom for less than what you pay for a mesa.

If you think you'll be using OD in the future, then go for it. The express amps are very cool. Check around here, some people have em. Ask em what they think.
Stage Rig

Fender Strat
Epi Les Paul
Taylor 110
Boss TU-2

Quote by nodistribution
nbd

thanks!!

the 5:50 is also an amp that i am interested in. it is realy superb. great cleans, and lots of different gain options. it can get to a metal levels of gain, but isnt quite voiced for it. it excels at rock and hard rock, as well as low gain sounds. mesa boogies are very expensive, and their reliability is some of the best ive seen. the first boogies ever are still being played and work fine. Thats why i will be going used, and i recommend the same to you.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by LP51122
They're cool, but you could get clean headroom for less than what you pay for a mesa.What are some of them?

If you think you'll be using OD in the future actually i don't really need amp OD, i've got a pedal that i love for the distortion side of things.,

another thing im not too thrilled about the MB's is that there really aren't any places i can try them in person.

thanks for all the help!
a fender hrd or blues deluxe will get you clean headroom. also used twin reverb would be great.
a tubescreamer really does sound best when paired with a fender type clean amp.

and i agree about mesas being hard to find. the nearest dealer near me is over an hour away, and they only have one mesa. i would never buy an amp without at least playing the same model before.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by chea_man
a fender hrd or blues deluxe will get you clean headroom. also used twin reverb would be great.
a tubescreamer really does sound best when paired with a fender type clean amp.

and i agree about mesas being hard to find. the nearest dealer near me is over an hour away, and they only have one mesa. i would never buy an amp without at least playing the same model before.

This.

btw, what dist. pedal do you have, ts?
Stage Rig

Fender Strat
Epi Les Paul
Taylor 110
Boss TU-2

Quote by LP51122
This.

btw, what dist. pedal do you have, ts?

big muff bass... my personal tastes are very differing... i either like a pristine clean reverb or a crazy fuzz...
Whoever said Jim from Omega hadn't emailed them back, don't worry, he will.
I actually ate lunch with him about a month ago, because his apprentice is a friend of mine, and he was talking about how it was a really busy time for him right now.
And to the guy getting a mod done, you certainly won't be disappointed
Omegas are some of the best amps I've ever heard, and my amp was modded by them, and it is absolutely great.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

ENDLESS FEEDBACK MANIPULATOR σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣