Hey guys I just got my ac30 and I was wondering why it makes this weird buzzing noise like when you turn on a really high powered flourescent light bulb. Is this supposed to happen or is it an abnormality?
Sounds like just some interferance which is quite normal. You can get that, TVs can do it as well. If you can live without the light on its all good, otherwise you might want to get humbuckers, or some such.
Gibson 58 RI VOS Custombuckers
Mesa Lonestar Special 2x12
If the noise is consistent, it's probably related to the power tubes or the fuse.

EDIT: didn't read about turning on a highpower flourescent light, that's normal, i suck.
Last edited by anubiz03 at Dec 17, 2008,
well im using a gibson les paul (hence I have humbuckers) so i dont think that intereference is the problem
is it really loud? Mine doesnt make a loud noise. but it does create a little bit of hum..
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
Quote by anubiz03
If the noise is consistent, it's probably related to the power tubes or the fuse.

EDIT: didn't read about turning on a highpower flourescent light, that's normal, i suck.

Thats true, it could also be a dodgy cable, improper shielding or a list of other things really. But from my understanding he says its just when turning on this light which would make just interference more likely. Anyway, we will find out
It could be a list of things, a loose connection in the guitar, a bad cable, a tube starting to go etc etc. Theres a whole list of things, you really just have to play about with it to find out, swap cables out, try a different guitar etc. Even a bad earth makes a difference.

Saying that though, sadly there will be a small amount of extra noise on any tube guitar, Its just the way they are.
could it be that the speaker cable at the back was loose, I tightened it back but I dont no if I damaged it in any way
maybe if you lower the wattage to 22 (I think) and move the other button too (the one that acts more as a modern amp..)...maybe the noise will calm down, or stop complitely.
Quote by RetroGunslinger
could I plug in a pair of pc speakers using a 1/8 to 1/4 converter and see if it still makes the noise?
that would probably not be good...
Quote by RetroGunslinger