I'm new here. Does anybody know a good website to find all the positions of the major and minor scale on the guitar? Also, another question. Once I memorize my scales what do I do after that to progress? Guitar is a real struggle for me.
Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Start by tuning your guitar in a way you know what are the open notes, then look up scale patterns (theory applied, like w-w-h-w-w-w-h for the major scale). Then learn them string by string, then laugh in the face of boxed figures, then rip it up.

Learning about octaves might facilitate the fingerboard memorization process.
I love music, if music would be a girl then I'd date her, until then let's get back on Earth
what are zeguitarists columns?

Gabe what do you mean by tuning in the way of open notes? Do you mean standard E tuning?
Quote by HardCandyy
what are zeguitarists columns?

Gabe what do you mean by tuning in the way of open notes? Do you mean standard E tuning?

ZeGuitarist is a UGer whose writing the Ultimate Guide to the Guitar columns here on UG.

Here's the first link:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/the_guide_to/the_ultimate_guide_to_guitar_chapter_i__1_introduction_-_the_guitar.html

Here's his lesson on scales:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/the_guide_to/the_ultimate_guide_to_guitar_chapter_ii_1_scales_-_diatonic_scales_in_theory.html

Instead of learning scale patterns, memorize the notes of the fretboard and then learn how scales work.

To learn about scales you need to learn the major scale first, since it's the basis of all western music.

Here's a link to a series of columns called The Crusades:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/search.php?s=crusade&w=columns
They're a good series of lessons on theory for the guitarist. Lesson 4 is about the major scale, but to understand it, you have to start at the beginning of the series.
Josh Homme writes the greatest lyrics EVAR:
"I wish we could get away
Drink wine and screw"

"Nicotine, valium, vicodin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol
C-C-C-C-Cocaine!"

"I wanna lick you too much"

Own this Black Sabbath shirt?
Quote by maninthebox24
ZeGuitarist is a UGer whose writing the Ultimate Guide to the Guitar columns here on UG.

Here's the first link:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/the_guide_to/the_ultimate_guide_to_guitar_chapter_i__1_introduction_-_the_guitar.html

Here's his lesson on scales:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/the_guide_to/the_ultimate_guide_to_guitar_chapter_ii_1_scales_-_diatonic_scales_in_theory.html

Instead of learning scale patterns, memorize the notes of the fretboard and then learn how scales work.

To learn about scales you need to learn the major scale first, since it's the basis of all western music.

Here's a link to a series of columns called The Crusades:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/search.php?s=crusade&w=columns
They're a good series of lessons on theory for the guitarist. Lesson 4 is about the major scale, but to understand it, you have to start at the beginning of the series.

Thanks a lot man!!!!
Quote by HardCandyy
I'm new here. Does anybody know a good website to find all the positions of the major and minor scale on the guitar? Also, another question. Once I memorize my scales what do I do after that to progress? Guitar is a real struggle for me.
Any info would be greatly appreciated.

You really need to learn the scales themselves before worrying about where to play them - have a read of Josh Urban's Crusade articles in the columns section.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
learn minor scale, and you can play major from that using relative majors - IE circle of 5ths
Quote by ehlert99
learn minor scale, and you can play major from that using relative majors - IE circle of 5ths

what are relative majors? For the circle of 5ths.....Is it all the 5th notes from a certain scale?
Quote by HardCandyy
what are relative majors? For the circle of 5ths.....Is it all the 5th notes from a certain scale?

Worry about learning the MAJOR scale first, the theory of the minor scale all relates back to it.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

In theory the advice given above is how you would learn your scales.

In practice, most guitarists
* play by visual patterns (box shapes to start)
* learn minor pentatonic first (major scale is rarely used in rock/blues)
In practice most guitarists go about things the wrong way without proper guidance.

[EDIT]
...myself included.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Last edited by steven seagull at Dec 19, 2008,
I started out with all the positions for pentatonic minor. Then I did the natural minor, then the major and then the pentatonic major. At some point, I realized how the major was related to the minor and that they're really the same scale, just offset by a bit. I don't know all of the theory about it yet, but I am reading 2 books at the moment that will help me get there.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
Quote by steven seagull
In practice most guitarists go about things the wrong way without proper guidance.

That doesn't seem to have hurt Hendrix, SRV, Clapton, and most of the other greats.
I'd have to disagree with some of the things that were said above. It is important to build a strong base of knowledge when learning the guitar, but it is more important to keep the passion and drive of a starting guitarist alive.

*Lessons for beginners can shave off weeks of rambling around on the internet (or where ever) trying to figure out what to learn. It can really speed up the learning process and give you a major leg up on the competition that has been playing for years already (by learning various little tricks here and there).

-If you're forgoing lessons for time/money/whatever reason, then this next part could prove to be some invaluable advice. -Not saying that it will be-

The first thing is "To be good" takes time, patients and effort (Starting IS hard for everyone). The following advice on a practice regiment will hopefully help You decide if you really want to learn or not.

To contradict Maininthebox:

Quote by maninthebox24

-Although memorizing all of the notes on the fretboard and learning how the scales fit together is good to know, it is important to "WANT" to play the guitar. Theory has a tendency to make things become dull and boring. This, above all else (even tedium of constant practice) will kill the drive to "want" to learn.

Instead of this, What i have my students do is ""I am not a professional teacher""

1*Learn a song

To do this, look up crazy train, or some easier video game theme on the guitar center database. *Something that you are interested in learning and can accomplish through tablature (Tabs). Something simple, yet catchy that is in your skill range.

2*Chords. power/basic/power

Basically. the Major Bar Chord shape. practice that! it will be the most boring thing, but will give you a major advantage later on, that is- if you stick with it! google will hopefully help you with this

3*Learn the pentatonics (pentatonic Scales)

Here is a good picture of them- or just google image "pentatonic scales" If you use the link, learn the top middle one. Thats usually considered the 1st one, or how at least its how i was taught.

http://www.learn-guitar-online.com/images/PS%20Lesson%2010%20Ex%201.jpg

All of this will come quicker with a teacher, but forgoing one is your decision. C’est la vie

-If you are interested in more info- just send me a personal message on this Ultimate-guitar account

*** I hardly ever check the linked E-mail account, so I wouldnt recommend E-mailing me**

Good luck, and hopefully this will help you out some
Hey JOhnY - have to say I'd agree with most of the things you said above! Nice post.

I guess the thing that puzzles me the most hanging out on UG and other theory forums for several years now is how most of the advice you get (including uploaded lessons), contradicts actual reality as I know it, and as I think most other guitar players know it.
p.s. been playing a long time (30+ years), with a lot of different people, currently working on some software.

p.p.s. my sis-in-law and family live in Wichita. Bet you're freezing various parts off right about now? cheers from (only slightly) warmer part of the world (CA)...
Sorry for multiple posts. Interesting quote:

"The foundation of (his online teaching) approach is the way I view the fretboard -- which is the way a lot of people view it -- and that's in shapes. You end up learning the same stuff you'd learn from notation or tablature, but it's a much easier way to understand it."

George Lynch, who as you may know was from that same SoCal scene of late 70's - early 80's w/ EVH and R Rhoads
Quote by guitarviz
That doesn't seem to have hurt Hendrix, SRV, Clapton, and most of the other greats.

Bollocks - pretty much every great musician, guitarists included, has a decent working knowledge of music theory and I guarantee all three of them could tell you the notes on their fretboard, the chords they play and what they can play over the...well, Clapton could, the other two can't sadly on account of being dead. Now, some of them may have learned it in a roundabout way or by a different name. However, the ultimate goal is the same - to understand and learn about MUSIC. Of course you can do that by the painstaking process of trial and error, however some minds far more learned than ours were thoughtful enough to formalise all this stuff and write it down half a century ago...takes a lott of the guesswork out of things y'know.

Most adult guitarists who didn't learn theory didn't learn because the knowledge wans't accessible, 30 years ago you either had to buy a book or get lessons and it's easy for that kind of stuff to fall down the list of priorities. Nowadays you can find everything you'd ever need to know and more besides and it's all free, you just need to know where to look and thankfully there's plenty of people to ask.

There is simply no excuse or justification for not learning theory in this day and age.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

guitarviz -

I don't know anything about these online lessons, I learned a song from youtube once..had to keep rewinding over and over and over to get this poorly explained part. It was a major hassle.

* But yea, video lessons are definitely better than nothing but people are still better than videos.

-I'm actually new to this part of the site, regardless of what the join date may say
"explanation in profile"
- to Make ourselves more than we are