I'm rewiring a guitar, HSS with 5-way switch. It's an Aria ProII Magna.

Problem is, it has a switch which I've never come across before, and I removed it without realising it would be a bitch to rewire, so I don't know what was soldered where.

Here's the switch:

I got that pic from another forum, which took me days to find. The solution on that thread only went as far as where the hot pickup wires go (which is how it's soldered in the pic). Trouble is I don't know which terminal to run to the volume pot, and if I need to do anything else on top of that (other than grounding the casing).

Help!
I have a set-up just like that going on in a guitar I'm redo-ing.

Do you want a master volume/master tone set-up, or something else, like a strat?
A guitar I have had a switch like that.
Quote by asfastasdark
+1. This man knows his ****.

Walker Rose.
If I find mine, you can have it Jim.
Quote by asfastasdark
+1. This man knows his ****.

Walker Rose.
Jesus Stu, how many Aria guitars do you have?
Gear
Fender Thinline Telecaster Deluxe

1983 Aria Pro II XX Deluxe Flying V

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

1974 Acoustic(brand) 134 4x10 combo

Epiphone Valve Jr.
Quote by chuckflan333
Jesus Stu, how many Aria guitars do you have?

Just the two! Seriously under-rated guitars though. When I bought this one (the Magna), I had a budget of £500 and no idea what I wanted. So I spent about a month just trying out everything I liked the look of. The £350 Aria played and sounded much better than anything else I tried, even those at £500. I can't recommend them highly enough.

Back on topic, do any of you guys that used these switches have some advice for me? I really want to get this guitar working again!
Do you have a multimeter?
You could just test the input terminals (where the hots go in) and any other terminals for continuity. Once you find the terminal that has continuity with all the inputs that should be the common out.
Or can you see the terminals inside the switch and where they connect?
Can't help any more than that, don't have one. Never seen one before either
Ok, here's something I did in photoshop to show which terminals are in contact in each position.

This obviously suggests that the middle terminal is the common out, as it's always connected. After that I'm stumped though!
just a quick glance at your diagrams.. it seems you want your three pickup hots hooked up to one of the sets of 3 (either set, with the middle pickup hooked to the middle pole) then yoru volume out hooked to the middle, leaving the set of three on the other side of the switch blank.
Cool, that's kinda what I thought. Just wasn't sure if it mattered which side, or if I had to do anything else.

Thanks for the help, I'll let you know how it goes.
Hey, stu, you mind if I add that switch diagram you made to my Wiring Diagram thread (sig)? It could help anyone else who happens to have one since several people have mentioned that they came across one. Credit will go to you, of course.
Quote by _Sanitarium_
just a quick glance at your diagrams.. it seems you want your three pickup hots hooked up to one of the sets of 3 (either set, with the middle pickup hooked to the middle pole) then yoru volume out hooked to the middle, leaving the set of three on the other side of the switch blank.

You may wish to connect the middle PUp to the middle eylet on the opposite side to the other two connections. Provides more room for your soldering iron.
I know this thread's a bit old and stuff, but I just thought I'd let y'all know that I finally got round to rewiring the guitar that said switch was in, and it's now in full working order and sounding awesome.

Thanks for all the help guys!
Quote by stuartm65
I know this thread's a bit old and stuff, but I just thought I'd let y'all know that I finally got round to rewiring the guitar that said switch was in, and it's now in full working order and sounding awesome.

Thanks for all the help guys!
Nah, this is fine. Guys that helped you should be thanked.
Bumping the thread for that reason, is a good thing.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.