just rest your hand in front of the bridge. you can mute it more if you move your hand up, and less if you move it back. you have to use the fleshy part of your palm, and just experiment, its one of those techniques that is really simple
Jackson RR Professional, early 90's japanese model, with EMG's

Digitech GNX3000

Crate GX 212
Rest you hand in front of the bridge with the side of your hand touching the strings then move it around until you get a cruchy more rock type of sound instead of it being muted.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Quote by stratdud39
?
yeah it duz..

e|-----------------------|
B|-----------------------|
G|----------------------|
D|-3--3-3-XX-XX--|
A|-3--3-3-XX-XX--|
E|-1--1-1-XX-XX--|

Those are not palm mutes. Just move your fretting hand over the strings lightly to stop the notes.
If Rock is a life-style, then Metal's an addiction

Yelloooow!

Of The

UG Challenge

Yeah, I really dont think it does xD

come to think of it, NO songs by Kurt that I've heard uses palm mutes...not audibly
BACK LIKE A HEART ATTACK
I always just lift fretting hand up a bit so that its muting the strings, i dont use the picking hand
Rock on or die

Guitarist 5 years, Had purpose in life 5 years

Quote by angusfan16
My name is NOT Anus Fan!
Quote by LazyLatinoRocke
e|-----------------------|
B|-----------------------|
G|----------------------|
D|-3--3-3-XX-XX--|
A|-3--3-3-XX-XX--|
E|-1--1-1-XX-XX--|

Those are not palm mutes. Just move your fretting hand over the strings lightly to stop the notes.

isn't it called a scrape?

and fnmpm i about died laughing on that
thats muting the strings with your fretting hand, i used to palm mute the place where your supposed to mute the stings, it sounded like **** until i figured out how its supposed to be played.
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Quote by Kai07
Yeah, I really dont think it does xD

come to think of it, NO songs by Kurt that I've heard uses palm mutes...not audibly

about half the songs on in utero have palm muting in them, including dumb and pennyroyal tea. Im pretty sure youve heard those songs.
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
just practice doing megadeth or metallica riffs, and watch your pressure don't deaden the strings.
Anyway palm muting is easy I had it perfected like the first day including different patterns of muting and lifting.
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by fnmpm
Yeah, right after the part with the sweep picking.

lol...I thought you were just retarted for a second....I didn't get the sarcasm immediately.
Quote by RockAddict311
lol...I thought you were just retarted for a second....I didn't get the sarcasm immediately.

and right before the legato run
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by xphrygianx
just practice doing megadeth or metallica riffs, and watch your pressure don't deaden the strings.

I think he wants to do this song before switching of halfway through learning it to another track.
No, i'm pretty sure the palm muting is in between the legato run and the sweep picking...the pinch harmonics come way later.
Quote by dcdossett65
Life is too short to worry about this crap.

Who.

Cares.
theres no palm muting in smells like teen spirit, its string muting with your left hand.
Gear:

Ibanez RGT42DX
Boss MT-2
they don't called it "Sweeps like teen spirit" for nothing =P

oh crap now i'm imagining it and it sounds terrible...