The title says it for the most part, but the back story to this is I'm always wanting a new guitar, it's not that I don't love and apperciate my old ones, because I love them to death, it's just that I always want a new one. Based on other guitarists they have this to, and get what I'm saying when I say I want a new guitar, but non-guitarists (i.e parents, other friends) never get it they just say that I already have such a nice guitar why would I want a new one? so how could I explain this to non-musicians?

TL;DR I always want new gear, non-musicians don't get that because I have (to them) really nice gear, how should I explain that to them?
Tell them guitar is like crack for your hands. At least the crack heads will kind of know what you mean.
If you're the one paying for it then tell them to **** off. It's your money spend it as you wish. But if it's your parent's, they will see it very differently.
"We are not concerned with motive, with higher ethics. We are concerned only with cutting down crime-."
Quote by maniac111
Well, it's kind of like how you want a new car.

Exactly.

You never really complain about the car/guitar you have (unless it sucks.), but if someone offered you a better one for free, (or if you could afford a better one.) would you turn it down?

Ask them that.
i love you both... in different ways. or some BS along thos lines.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
The Bible is awesome. Revelation is so badass, I mean, dragons and angels and the devil having an epic battle in the clouds? Badass.
Quote by pHaKe
If you're the one paying for it then tell them to **** off. It's your money spend it as you wish. But if it's your parent's, they will see it very differently.

exactly, im going through the same thing sort of, i know my grandmas going to get me a lot of christmas money, and i really want a strat, but i cant explain it to my parents, i guess i see where they are coming from, they dont want me "blowing all my money" ill just wait till college.
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
Tell them you either get new gear or start crying because you're insecure of your guitarplaying abilities. Then when they feel bad, swipe their wallets.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Steve The Plank
Yeah, and like, what do you say when your girlfriend asks if you love the guitar more than her?

I mean, I have a PRS Custom 24. That's a pretty ****ing nice guitar.

dude are you playing a peavey bandit with a cu24? please dont!
Quote by Steve The Plank
Yeah, and like, what do you say when your girlfriend asks if you love the guitar more than her?

I mean, I have a PRS Custom 24. That's a pretty ****ing nice guitar, man.

I love fingering you both.
Quote by iceman95
ok
here's what you do
1. Take a fork, preferably metal.
2. Put some tomato sauce on it.
3. Let tomato sauce on fork dry.
4. Turn it in and call it: "The Spaghetti Massacre."

New guitar fund = beer/0
Quote by Steve The Plank

I mean, I have a PRS Custom 24. That's a pretty ****ing nice guitar.

PRS Custom 24?

Yeah, as a fellow PRS owner, I'd say I love the guitar more, tbh .

...You might want to say something like: "Yeah, I love my guitar, but it doesn't do... *insert special thing your girlfriend does for you here*"
Quote by Fuzzbox91
exactly, im going through the same thing sort of, i know my grandmas going to get me a lot of christmas money, and i really want a strat, but i cant explain it to my parents, i guess i see where they are coming from, they dont want me "blowing all my money" ill just wait till college.

If you at least put some work or effort towards getting it, i.e. getting (if you don't have already) a job, and attempting to bargain with the price, then they might be more lenient. Otherwise, you'll just have to deal with it until you're on your own.
"We are not concerned with motive, with higher ethics. We are concerned only with cutting down crime-."
Don't worry about explaining it. It's somthing they woulden't understand no matter how it's described. It's the same way people don't understand people who obsess over their cars or bodybuilding or computers or anything else that takes a lot of time and money.

It's just a part of you. That's all they really need to know.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Quote by boreamor
All of my guitars are different and are therefore better for different things.

exactly, im sort of a guy who trades gutiars in, i really want to trade in my Gibson SG (i already have a flying V) for an american strat, but theres no way in hell my parents are going to let me, i can understand since my mom helped me pay for my SG as a 16th birthday present, but still.....
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
Quote by Ziesta
dude are you playing a peavey bandit with a cu24? please dont!

Haha. If you were going to Music college to play guitar 24/7, and you decide that you wanna buy a new guitar and a new amp, which would you buy first?

Of course, the sensible option may be to get the amp first, but the guitar is a lot more fun. Especially when I'm still trying to decide exactly what amp I want (probably an Orange Rockerverb 100, but they're just so heavy and unportable lol).
explain that your interest in guitars has grown deep enough that you recognize the specific unique differences between guitars, and you require _______ new guitar to add to your abilities and knowledge.
Quote by caskettheclown
well the guitar is like a woman...

(finish for me plz)

erm....

*thinks*

..cause she makes funny noises when you break her G-string?

I know the upright bass is like a woman cause she's fat and she likes to be slapped.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
ive got the same problem bud. i just say stfu noob or you like men then walk away
"Would you tell Picasso to sell his guitars?" - Jack Black

Quote by Lt. Shinysides

my dick is generally better than yours, and is more pleasing to look at and hold.
your dick understands and accepts this, and is willing to just move on.
i hate my parents some times...

i buy the cheapest possible guitars and then when i ask for one for my combined chrissie/birthday present they bitch coz you bet ive already got one!!

or when i had one and my brother didnt and theyre like were not buuying him one coz that would mean there would be *shocked look* 2 guitars in the house!!

WTF?
It has come to my recent attention that our good friend CoreysMonster is not permanently detained in the Fotb.

i would like to make an apology to the following people:

that is all.

I use Linux
Quote by Steve The Plank

I mean, I have a PRS Custom 24. That's a pretty ****ing nice guitar, man.

Im sorry steve, but I have to sig that.
"Bullshit is the glue that binds this nation together."
-George Carlin

The Human Fund: $0.00
PM me to donate
My girlfriend can't get it either. She's a bass player sometimes, like when she wants to be, but as far as she's concerned, I have a Les Paul, what more could I want? Answer: a PRS. I tell her it's like chips: I can't have just one.
Megadeth > Metallica
Gibson > Fender
Randy Rhoads > Everybody

Quote by gamenerd323
451f you sig is the truest thing in the world

My sig > Yours
do your parents own 2 cars?

ask them why they purchased their second car

similar theory applies
if you love bbe products join the "i heart bbe" group. kthnx (click link below)
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ilovebbe/

Quote by Dempsey68
get a cheap marshall... my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps.
My parents don't get that either. My dad always says "make some money with the ones you've got, first." I mean, that's not a bad logic to have, but he just doesn't understand.
Quote by Fuzzbox91

See that's what I'm doing, I said I don't want any real "gift" gifts, I just want money for gear and they didn't understand it but agreed, and I've been saving all the money I get since april, it's just they don't understand it, at all
tottaly get what your sayin
i once tryed explaining to my friend why guitarists switch out guitars so much durring shows

non guitarist view: well you just have multiple guitars cus they look cool
guitarists viewh no no no we have different guitars for tone reasons ie humbuckers single coils tele pups pasive pups active pups different woods with different body shapes resonate differently different necks can be played different ways and oh yeah i guess haveing a guitar that looks cool can also be usefull
fight the power... with peace

Originally Posted by Cockpuncher 2.0
Fail town, population you

When God said "Let there be light", Joey Jordison said "Say please".

Man is a universe within himself
Bob Marley
Pox!
Quote by frigginjerk
explain that your interest in guitars has grown deep enough that you recognize the specific unique differences between guitars, and you require _______ new guitar to add to your abilities and knowledge.

My step-dad has come to an understanding similar to that, and that's kind of what I want people to understand
It's kind of like how when you buy a new cell phone. You think the one you bought is the best thing ever for a few weeks right? Then you see the new version came out, and it's different and better. Then, even though you like your phone, you'd LOVE to have the newest version, because it's better!

At least, that's how I think about it.
Quote by jeremessmore
That's not how I think of it at all, in fact I don't give a damn about cell phones and guitars are better for more than a few weeks, a few months or even a year but then it's time for another...

totally agree people who get excited about phones are tools
fight the power... with peace

Originally Posted by Cockpuncher 2.0
Fail town, population you

When God said "Let there be light", Joey Jordison said "Say please".

Man is a universe within himself
Bob Marley
Pox!
Quote by jeremessmore
That's not how I think of it at all, in fact I don't give a damn about cell phones and guitars are better for more than a few weeks, a few months or even a year but then it's time for another...

Ok so it's not EXACTLY like that but jesus you see the point I was getting at.

/trying to help