ok. a buddy of mine likes my music. he's a rap artist and wants me to help write some of his beats and be able to put a rock band with them. i think it's a pretty good idea but i've never written hip-hop beats with a program before.

what would be a good program to use to make the beats without using a midi keyboard?

if you want to check out some of his stuff this is his myspace page: http://www.myspace.com/paynelethalson
Which one? Tweak's guide pretty much the center of all project studio information in one place, and Sonicstate's a cool British audio review site.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
i've been wondering.. when you have more than one midi controller plugged into your computer (say a sample pad and a keyboard...) does it **** up your drivers?

-chris-
<DInkyDaisy>I would so have sex with tauket now.
<SpacedOut>I'd kill to have tauket naked in a bath of warm milk right now.
<Blnkgttrst>Oh Chris, you're what the Spaniards call "El Terrible"
<Jallas>chris you're hot in bed
I use bome's mouse keyboard
it turns your pc keyboard into a piano keyboard (kinda)
it a free trial.

-Ryan
Quote by tauket2
i've been wondering.. when you have more than one midi controller plugged into your computer (say a sample pad and a keyboard...) does it **** up your drivers?

-chris-

No, you just have to assign each MIDI track to the proper device. Unless your computer is ancient, it shouldn't have a problem running each device simultaneously. You could always get an interface.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
There are two ways about it, borrow from the greats (like using the Funky Drummer break again!) or programming your own. When programming your own it's all about the swing/groove. Hip hop tends to be fairly steady on the quarters, possibly a little variation on the placement of eights and a decent swing to the 16ths. Since the James Brown school of funky drumming has been the backbone of hip hop beats for so long (old school hip hop is almost all about his rhythms) there are usually a lot of things going on in a beat, plenty of ghosting everywhere. The easiest way to get the right swing is to use something like Propelleheads ReCycle and steal the groove of a beat you like. Then you can use that as a groove template in most sequencers to add the same type of feel to your own programmed beats.