Well I have been out of the game for a while due to financial problems and me being a dumbass. I'm ready to start again, and I have been looking at guitars recently. After looking at the Epiphone Les Paul Studio, I decided it was probably more than I wanted to spend. I started looking at the Squire line of instruments. All I knew I wanted was a Telecaster, I got mah heart set on it.

After peeking through and looking at videos, I stumbled across a guitar I fell in love with (the sound and look). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOcDa7S2Aes

I saw that it was a Fender (as in not Squire by Fender (not surprised)). Then I found the guitar online for about 700$. I knew I couldn't afford it. While running through Musicians Friend, I found 2 guitars that really hit me close.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Vintage-Modified-Telecaster-SH-Electric-Guitar?sku=512575

and

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Tele-Custom-Electric-Guitar?sku=515113

I wanna play some normal rock, some alternative (like modest mouse), and hopefully some reggae or ska, so I am still open to suggestions.

Now a big question for me is the wood. The wood in the Telecast SH is Indian Red Cedar, something I never heard of. The one on the Custom Telecaster is Agathis, something I have been warned to stay far away from. In the end, which wood is less sucky, and which would you ultimately recommend?

Thanks in advanced guys.

Note: Or in the end should I just save up for a Fender Standard MIM Telecaster
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Standard-Telecaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=516035
Only a 100$ more... I guess I could manage if the price difference is worth it.
Quote by smirnoff_black
Have you ever done this before? It's freakin' sweet! Earlier today, I was bored as hell just laying on my bed. I had an erection, so I started to use my penis as a gear stick and I was pretending I was driving. Has anyone else here ever tired this?
Last edited by Funcoot at Dec 17, 2008,
personally id go with the mim. they play and last so much better than squires
A squire is alright if you plan to upgrade after a year+, personally I think you will get bored with the squire. The mim would be a better options if your planning to have the guitar for a while.
You'll have better/wider options by going Used. However, both would sound pretty good on a decent amp. Audition as many as you can, for at least an hour each, through an amp like yours or one you're planning to buy, over several days.

Another option is the Squier Classic Vibe Tele (Pinecaster) ... it has a huge following at TDPRI, the largest Tele forum. Good Luck!

squire classic vibe '50 would be best strat(or tele) in price range
Fender Telecaster
Squire Vintage Modified '70s bass
Even better than the MIM?
Quote by smirnoff_black
Have you ever done this before? It's freakin' sweet! Earlier today, I was bored as hell just laying on my bed. I had an erection, so I started to use my penis as a gear stick and I was pretending I was driving. Has anyone else here ever tired this?
Bump, answer to previous post?
Quote by smirnoff_black
Classic Vibe is made of Pine. It'll be very similar to a Ash-bodied Tele, though sustain can be dubious.

As far as your other two choices go:

Agathis is tonally like alder, but a bit less defined. It's just generally not a very good wood considering basswood and alder barely cost more than agathis but both can sound far better.

The Red Cedar is tonally a bit inbetween mahogany and basswood, it's a little bit lighter-toned than mahogany but not quite got the punchy definition of basswood. It's sustain is typiclaly awful, it dents very easily, and it's weight is around the same as ash. It is... not good.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.